Crossmember too warped to flip?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
jim.nos

Crossmember too warped to flip?

Post by jim.nos »

Put the front crossmember on the table last night to measure up and prep for chopping and flipping... discovered that it's not true.

How twisted is too twisted?
Other thoughts or options?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Crossmember too warped to flip?

Post by okayfine »

What, exactly, is the issue?

Option is to find someone with a jig, cut yours, put it in the jig, flip it and weld so it's straight.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

I'm concerned there will be alignment issues (considering the condition of the front left sway bar link when I disassembled the front end)

http://imgur.com/a/BCMnm
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That is tweeked a bit...but I've never checked if any of the ones I've flipped have been twisted.

If you have a verified jig available from someone, I don't see a problem cutting it, fitting it to the jig, and welding it up. You'll want to get the car aligned anyway after pulling the suspension apart.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

Well then, is there a greater Vancouver member that has a jig that would let me borrow it in exchange for beer and/or cookies?
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

How flat is that table? Honestly, I would venture the guess that the variance you are seeing is within the manufacturing tolerance of the front crossmember. Especially if you considering that in one photo you are measuring between two mounting points that correspond to different systems on the car (motor mounts and lca pivot bolts). If you think of the tolerance stack up that occurs when a part like this is manufactured, it is not surprising that the points which you are measuring aren't exactly square.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

I've done a few of these by tack welding it to my steel bench, cut-flip-weld and double checking it by bolting into the abandoned race shell in my shop. No complaints yet…. :lol: 8)

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
510rob

Post by 510rob »

cut flip weld, the series
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

510rob wrote:cut flip weld, the series
Good one!! :lol: Discovery Channel material
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

First make sure your pivot bolts are not bent. Bolt the crossmember back into your 510. Cut the center section out. Measure lower control arm pivot bolts center to center front and back sides and make sure their even and secure then secure the crossmember bolts. Place a long 4x4 under the crossmember held up with a floor jack. Flip the cut out center section and reweld in place. This is how I did mine but I didn't first remove the crossmember and it's been strong 5 years now.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

So any new news on your bent crossmember?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

I picked up the screamin deal of a Datsport one off my local Craigslist.
No flip required. :lol: