What are you guys using for Radiator in a KA swap ?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
ajen68510

What are you guys using for Radiator in a KA swap ?

Post by ajen68510 »

I have seen the Ebay Rads . They are all 2 core. I currently have a 2 core all Aluminum Rad on my L20B. For the most part its good. But on recent trip to Vegas it was not good enough. It got way up there in in the 100 degree heat.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: What are you guys using for Radiator in a KA swap ?

Post by okayfine »

Do you know what "way up there" is as far as coolant temp? What gauge are you using? Are the gaps between the radiator support panel and the radiator itself plugged? Running the belly pan?

I ran a Griffin Scirocco style aluminum radiator on my KA. Ran a bit too cool, actually. Fan never came on, even in traffic, never ran hot on hot SoCal days. Autometer gauge that I'd calibrated before installation.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

The Scirocco rad that I ran on my 510 was a super cooler. I could never get the heat up to make the heater work in the winter. I had to block off a portion to get it to warm properly. The BMW 318 Rad I swapped in worked better for the cold season.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

it ran up to 210 (Auto Meter gauge) 190 on highway which was fine. Just did not want to drive it during day in Vegas, as it stayed around 210 which was too high. (Only drove it once, which was enough) I would say there are gaps around the radiator yes. Not a lot, maybe 1/4" . Running 2 10" fans, water wetter. And bled the system of air before I left. Up here it runs 175 to 180 on highway. And 190 in city (with occasional fan intervention).
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Are you looking to upgrade for a future KA swap? Which radiator do you currently have? I've cooled an SR20DE with a 3-row core on stock tanks (brass).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

okayfine wrote:Are you looking to upgrade for a future KA swap? Which radiator do you currently have? I've cooled an SR20DE with a 3-row core on stock tanks (brass).
I'm doing a Ka swap this winter, Amassing parts now. I have a 2 Row All Aluminum Rad now from a Mustang Fox Box.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Gotcha. Some people here have used the Ebay radiator for the KA, but I can't recall who at the moment. Hopefully they'll chime in.

KA makes some more heat over an L20B, but I don't recall any real changes (at least compared to my L20BT).
Uber Deaf One

Post by Uber Deaf One »

okayfine wrote:Gotcha. Some people here have used the Ebay radiator for the KA, but I can't recall who at the moment. Hopefully they'll chime in.
CX Racing. These seem to be hit or miss... I haven't had a single issue with mine. Been in my DD KA 510 for 3-4 years, and even kept the KA under 215 degrees during a 110+ degree track day (nothing but WOT :lol: )
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Uber Deaf One wrote:
okayfine wrote:Gotcha. Some people here have used the Ebay radiator for the KA, but I can't recall who at the moment. Hopefully they'll chime in.
CX Racing. These seem to be hit or miss... I haven't had a single issue with mine. Been in my DD KA 510 for 3-4 years, and even kept the KA under 215 degrees during a 110+ degree track day (nothing but WOT :lol: )

that's the one ! Thanks for feedback guys. Hope more chime in .
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

I used an Ebay Scirocco style radiator I have an L18 and have to block off most of the radiator or it will not get above 155 thats at highway speed in traffic around town it can get up to 190 but the fans kick in and it cools down quickly. I am going to use it with my KA swap.

Mine was pretty much like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPL-Full-Alumin ... d6&vxp=mtr

I have had no issues with it and the quality was good.
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)