vg turbo or non turbo

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
ASHTC510
Supporter

vg turbo or non turbo

Post by ASHTC510 »

Hello Jedi dimers I've found two donors vg turbo and non.If I go turbo do I have the same modification or does it get more complicated.Need your advise.[quote][/quote]
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: vg turbo or non turbo

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Im not a master on this subject but I do remeber something about the turbo piping running behind the engine ( Firewall side ) that gives problems.

There are a few build threads here with both, I suggest looking at what they did for ideas.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It gets more complicated. As PMK indicates, the turbo needs to be relocated. In addition to the turbo piping connecting the banks, the turbo also sits where the steering box sits.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
yellowdatsun

Post by yellowdatsun »

Does this site not get much activity anymore? No replies since March?

There's a LOT to consider between turbo and n/a VG's. Two big things to consider here, an N/A VG will be plenty of power for most 510 owners, and a turbo VG will be way more than enough power for most 510 owners. I built a VG34E, which I think splits the difference. The track car I'm building will be a turbo VG30E, and my GF's car is an N/A VG30E. Lots of plumbing work for the turbo, with custom exhaust manifolds needed, all the intercooler piping, the intercooler, etc. Lots of extra work. The N/A version is actually relatively simple to install. Cheap too if you can build (modify) your own oil pan, and engine/tranny mounts.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

yellowdatsun wrote:Does this site not get much activity anymore? No replies since March?
Everyday, but it is a kind of back and forth thing, the OP seems to have lost interest.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
ASHTC510
Supporter

Post by ASHTC510 »

[img]0829[/img]Here is what I got 84 300 zx 50th with 47000 miles run like new will be pulling motor ,tranny ,ecu wiring,rearff,calipers this fall.This is my 71 510 I'm putting it in.Will be buying oil pan from experimental engineering and also motor mounds.Plenium will be from a 200 sx with exhaust manifolds also from local junkyard..I will try to start sometime in winter.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The photo links didn't work, but I'll assume you went naturally aspirated.

I've not driven a turbo VG conversation myself in a 510, but I can tell you that the naturally aspirated conversation in unmodified form goes plenty quick with excellent driveability and access to all major components not being an issue.

Certainly keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
big_e-dog

Post by big_e-dog »

bump.. ill be chiming in. what questions do ya have...

my credentials.....

VG LOVE!!!
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

Nice credentials.
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.