sr20det s13 for datsun 510

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
jovanmunoz91

sr20det s13 for datsun 510

Post by jovanmunoz91 »

Hey guys
So my reason for this post is to see what i need to accomplish a sr20 swap in a datsun 510. I do own a datsu 620 and i accomplished the sr20det s13 in my truck. So just wanted to know the process for the 510.
Sleepys-14

Re: sr20det s13 for datsun 510

Post by Sleepys-14 »

It should be pretty much the same thing. The SR fits pretty well in the 510. The trans tunnel will need some massaging, but everything else is pretty straight forward.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There is no comprehensive list, as everyone does things differently. There's probably not much different you need to do for the 510 compared to the 620, but I've never swapped a 620. Steering center link on the 510 generally needs to be flipped. 510 also has a steering box in the way of allowing you to use the stock SR manifold/turbo location, so that will need changing. Basic swap is the same, nuances will differ.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jovanmunoz91

Post by jovanmunoz91 »

okayfine wrote:There is no comprehensive list, as everyone does things differently. There's probably not much different you need to do for the 510 compared to the 620, but I've never swapped a 620. Steering center link on the 510 generally needs to be flipped. 510 also has a steering box in the way of allowing you to use the stock SR manifold/turbo location, so that will need changing. Basic swap is the same, nuances will differ.
hey so what do you mean by steering box in the way ? how do you have to change it ?
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

jovanmunoz91 wrote:
okayfine wrote:There is no comprehensive list, as everyone does things differently. There's probably not much different you need to do for the 510 compared to the 620, but I've never swapped a 620. Steering center link on the 510 generally needs to be flipped. 510 also has a steering box in the way of allowing you to use the stock SR manifold/turbo location, so that will need changing. Basic swap is the same, nuances will differ.
hey so what do you mean by steering box in the way ? how do you have to change it ?
With the stick manifold , bottom mount, it will not clear the steering box. Most get a top mount manifold.
looking for pass. side arm rest
gonzoneko

Post by gonzoneko »

I've found that most people use 620 motor mounts to swap the sr into a 510, and I've had someone tell me they used mounts from a 78 620 specifically. I found some OE mounts from autozone but they say the driver and passenger sides differ. My 510 mounts are the same on both sides. Does anyone know if I use both the driver and passenger side mounts from the 620, or two passenger or driver side? I'm ready to test fit my sr but i need the mounts so I can measure for my custom transmission mounts. I've searched the forums and can't seem to find and answer so decided its time to ask.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Are you talking about the rubber isolators or the hard metal mounts? I don't know that the 620 parts are quite as widely used as you indicate. I've swapped three S13-chassis engines, built my own hard mounts twice and built crossmember towers to take the SR hydro mounts.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
akara

Post by akara »

i thought id just start listing stuff real quick off the top of my head for fun since ive done this swap before

crossmember flip
I use 510 mounts and some spacers or taller truck mounts, just grind off the metal bumps
t3 trans mount or make your own
futofab sway bar
new radiator/hoses/fans/temp gauge
r180 rear end
shorten and balance driveshaft
id get a CAN/AM wiring box to make it easy and save time on wiring
relocate battery
top mount manifold and downpipe
intercooler and custom piping to fit
custom intake
cut down the metal heater hose pipes behind the engine and under the intake so you can route the heater hoses
for fuel system you can have stock tank modified for intake pump or do what i did which is
stock tank->lift pump->surge tank->walbro 255->sr20
youll need to add a fuel return line and make sure all hoses are fuel injection rated with proper fuel injection hose clamps

i probably forgot some stuff but youll need to do all that at least!
gonzoneko

Post by gonzoneko »

akara wrote:i thought id just start listing stuff real quick off the top of my head for fun since ive done this swap before

crossmember flip
I use 510 mounts and some spacers or taller truck mounts, just grind off the metal bumps
t3 trans mount or make your own
futofab sway bar
new radiator/hoses/fans/temp gauge
r180 rear end
shorten and balance driveshaft
id get a CAN/AM wiring box to make it easy and save time on wiring
relocate battery
top mount manifold and downpipe
intercooler and custom piping to fit
custom intake
cut down the metal heater hose pipes behind the engine and under the intake so you can route the heater hoses
for fuel system you can have stock tank modified for intake pump or do what i did which is
stock tank->lift pump->surge tank->walbro 255->sr20
youll need to add a fuel return line and make sure all hoses are fuel injection rated with proper fuel injection hose clamps

i probably forgot some stuff but youll need to do all that at least!
I was thinking about going with the 620 truck mounts because my stock 510 mounts need to be replaced anyways, and I see the metal bumps that need to be replaced. My question is about the two different mounts for the driver and passenger sides on the 620's. My 510 mounts are the same on both sides and I want to clarify that the 620 driver and passenger mounts bolt up to my modded 510 crossmember before I order them. Thanks for the tip on the CAN/AM wiring box. I was just going to wiring everything as directly as possible, but that would help a bit with some organization.
gonzoneko

Post by gonzoneko »

okayfine wrote:Are you talking about the rubber isolators or the hard metal mounts? I don't know that the 620 parts are quite as widely used as you indicate. I've swapped three S13-chassis engines, built my own hard mounts twice and built crossmember towers to take the SR hydro mounts.
I've found some threads about this route as well, but I found more in depth threads about using a flipped 510 crossmember with 620 (rubber) mounts and stock sr20 metal mounts. It's just that everyone that mentions the 620 mounts, makes no mention of there being a difference between the driver and passenger side, yet when I try to order them I find that there is a difference.
akara

Post by akara »

gonzoneko wrote:
okayfine wrote:Are you talking about the rubber isolators or the hard metal mounts? I don't know that the 620 parts are quite as widely used as you indicate. I've swapped three S13-chassis engines, built my own hard mounts twice and built crossmember towers to take the SR hydro mounts.
I've found some threads about this route as well, but I found more in depth threads about using a flipped 510 crossmember with 620 (rubber) mounts and stock sr20 metal mounts. It's just that everyone that mentions the 620 mounts, makes no mention of there being a difference between the driver and passenger side, yet when I try to order them I find that there is a difference.
There is the difference in the 620 mounts but its a minor difference, both sides are the same height and you can use either mount on either side.
Metricgerry

Post by Metricgerry »

I have the 620 L/R mounts.. There is definitely a difference.. I will snap some pics in the morning..
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Redeye on the Realm was taking about making motor mounts for the SR in the 620. There is no way to bolt it in like a 510. At least not that I have found.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

I use the taller 620 mounts.
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Don't forget the custom water neck.

You can order rubber mounts from McKinney Motorsports and be sure they're right. I used their ply mounts, and although they transfer more vibration to the chassis, they do give a lot of adjustability in positioning the motor. This came in very handy when routing the down pipe and clearing the break master cylinder. I don't know what clearance there is with the 620, but on the 510 the down pipe is VERY close to the master cylinder, so it requires some kind of heat shield.

There are a bunch of build threads that explain the different options and methods of stuffing an SR into a 510. After reading through a few, you realizes there's more than on way to skin this cat. A popular way of keeping the price down is to convert to rack and pinion steering (also well documented) so you can keep the stock bottom mount turbo configuration on the SR. You still need a custom down pipe, and air plumbing, but this solves a bunch of expensive issues, and you have much better steering.

Just another $.02

Best of luck,

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.