What Engine Should I Run?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
CVDatsun510

Re: What Engine Should I Run?

Post by CVDatsun510 »

How much work is involved in putting in a vg33 motor?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

This isn't really the thread for your individual discussion. Also, I'm unsure how you could read through the OP in this thread and post up only:
CVDatsun510 wrote:How much work is involved in putting in a vg33 motor?
If you buy the fit kit from vg30.com, installing the motor in the 510 chassis is rated as "easy." Still fueling, cooling, suspension/brake upgrades, and the wiring to do. All of that, including the "easy" rating, depend on your experience, budget, tools, space, ability to troubleshoot, etc.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
quicxsix

Post by quicxsix »

resurrecting an old thread,
I have a bone stock 71 2 door, l16 installed. It runs good, no smoke, haven't done leak down, or a compression test. I have an opportunity to get a l20 for free. Unknown year on the l20,so assume worst case scenario.
I have experience with flat six Porsche motors, so I am a capable, if new , motor builder
My budget would be 2 to 3 k to build a motor with good low down grunt, not crazy hp, maybe 130 rwhp.
I would canyon carve, auotx, and dd the car.
I will spend at least, if not more, on the suspension, brakes, drivetrain rear end...
How would you spend the money, and why?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

if I wanted to be rolling quick id used that free l20b as a core exchange on a rebello built L20b. http://www.rebelloracing.com/enginebuild.htm

if I was looking for a project id tear down the l20b, start inspecting and prepping with help from "the how to" and "modify" datsun books and the realm . find a high quality machine shop and a head guy familiar with the L series( get some quotes). source all new and better than stock hardware. then see what the budget will allow.

do you have rad, carb(s), clutch, and transmission ? as they could eat a lot of your budget.

nothing more annoying than babying a fresh l20b because the rad wont keep it cool, the clutch slips and your making the same power as the l16 you robbed the carb off of. :P
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

quicxsix wrote:How would you spend the money, and why?
Again, this isn't really the thread for this sort of discussion. But since we're here, without you telling us what you want from the motor and the experience, it's difficult to say. If you want to stick with an L-series, that's one thing; if you want to spend $3K and have 125+RWHP, that's another.

If that budget number is all-inclusive and you're starting with an unknown L20B, I'd suggest you won't get there from here. Even a bum-basic L-series rebuild is $1000 in parts and the labor you can't do yourself (machining). You'd need carbs, cooling, fueling upgrades, distributor work, cam, valvetrain, exhaust...

This is one main reason the KA swap is so common and beloved. It's a great engine, puts down reliable power (145 at the wheels), and even a rebuild of a KA isn't likely to cost than the L.

If you're after the L-series experience, search here for Jason Gray's engine specs pages and start sourcing parts.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
quicxsix

Post by quicxsix »

Sorry for the interruption,I will start a new thread.
Thanks for the advice
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

This post was in response to a senior member being a douche please feel free to remove moderator :shock:

I was unable to locate a delete function on the edit feature if it is available .....?
Last edited by grimlid on 07 Apr 2017 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

Likewise remove please moderator or give me some direction to a delete feature if it is available please and thanks
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.