Hey check this out!

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
gas

Hey check this out!

Post by gas »

gas

Re: Hey check this out!

Post by gas »

finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

pretty expensive. its hard to see a future for these parts, probably suffer the same fate as the FI manifold
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah yeah, we know about Extrudabody. I've never seen or heard of anyone running a set on their 510. If you want to EFI your L-series, it's a solution, but not one I'd pick.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gas

Post by gas »

What would you suggest?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What do you have? What do you want to do? Where are your priorities? What's your budget? What are you future plans for the engine?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gas

Post by gas »

Right now I have a L20 with mikunis. The power I have right now is good for the little car for the moment. I basically want the engine to be more efficent by converting the mikunis to EFI. Budget more than likely will me be putting back enough money to do everything at once.
gas

Post by gas »

Heres a pic of my engine bay
Attachments
jr%20car%20001.JPG
jr%20car%20001.JPG (250.93 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Assuming your Mikunis are in good working condition and can be tuned to work well for you, I'd tune it and drive it. I'd spend money on other things (air filters, for one). You can cobble together a mixed bag of junkyard efi parts or go nuts with TWM ITBs and programmable ecu for $3k+. If the Mikunis are too hard to maintain (or are worn out), or the gas mileage is too poor, sell them and install SUs or maybe the R1 motorcycle carbs if you want something unusual. Good luck!
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gas wrote:Right now I have a L20 with mikunis. The power I have right now is good for the little car for the moment. I basically want the engine to be more efficent by converting the mikunis to EFI. Budget more than likely will me be putting back enough money to do everything at once.
More efficient because you want better mileage from a financial standpoint, or for a "green" sort of angle (money be damned)? The money spent to convert an L-series to EFI would buy an awful lot of gas. Typical "hobby car" 510 mileage would push a break-even point very far into the future.

Stock L20B internally? The suggestion of SUs is a good one, but it won't be a bolt-on since you will have to find/make needles to suit (search for MntGoat here on The Realm). R1 carbs seem to also be an option, but would be even less of a bolt-on and much more of an experiment.
gas

Post by gas »

Awesome, thanks guys. Yeah, I was looking for a little better mileage so I could drive it around more and have fun with it. Ill just drive it around for now and think about it for a little bit. It would probaly be more money well spent on building a rack and pinion unit anyway, I have heard of the MR2 R/P working well. I have seen the swap for the 240 R/p swap but MR2 would seem like less of a hassel and better bang for your buck.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Your Mikuni’s chocked and jetted down for street use would be a very good way to go for the money. From a guy who has converted a couple of L series to EFI, its pricey - and I do my own machining and fabricating. Ad that cost to the mix and you need to be prepared to spend some money. I have also played with TWM's - great product, but only part of the overall solution.
On the flip side I have also run twin Mikuni's, Webbers and Del-Ortos on my 510's over the years. A good set of twin 40's choked down and jetted from street use can net very good mileage - if you keep you foot out of it! A 2.2 that I had twin 40's on got 25-27 MPG on a trip from Vancouver BC to Mt Shasta California one year for the big show. Then again the same motor in my rally car on back gravel roads could net as low as 8 MPG! So how do you drive??? :D

Anyways, you should be happy with your carbs really, with all the investment required, you'd never see payback in your lifetime is economics are the only key. If you are playing the green card as we all need to start doing, then that's a different ball game.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It is what it is. L20B with Mikunis has never been known for great mileage. You can spend the time to tune the carbs specifically to your engine and you'll see some mileage gain, depending on how off your current jets are. You could also see some performance gain - win-win. Beyond that, your right foot is the best arbiter of mileage.

But a 510, at least one with an L20B and dual Mikunis, isn't going to be a Toyota Corolla gas-sipper. Tune it, drive it, have fun, smile.
gas

Post by gas »

Thanks guys for the advice. Your right Byron on the EFI swap, I would like to get it more efficient for gas milage reasons but Ill get a good plan for that down on paper before I jump into it. The guy who built the engine was a racing guy, and my dad drove it so he built it like a race engine :). Which is cool for playing but I'll have to fill up alot more than I would like. lol, holy hell 8 mpg, you must have been flying. Thanks again for the advice guys, I think Ill just look for some air cleaners for the moment and drive it around some curvy roads :).
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

I've been hanging onto a couple sets of ITB's off a Suzuki TL1000R twin. They would work well on a fabricated SSS style intake that is matched up to their 52mm throttle bores. Boring out a 38mm SSS manifold 14mm didn't seem reasonable nor did adapting that big an ITB to a 38mm intake runner.

The TL1000R throttle bodies have 2 injectors in each and would work well with a Megasquirt ECU in batch fire mode. Never progressed with it beyond setting them against a dual SU manifold and taking a few measurements. Someday maybe.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH