Qr25de swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Dropoff510

Re: Qr25de swap

Post by Dropoff510 »

Hi guys. Been a while, so my most recent project on the car is putting cv axles in. Im going to use the axles from the 2007 subaru wrx. ( same as the diff i have ) so the idea is that the cv on the wheel side ill have it machined down so it will fit in the hub on where the normal axles will bolt up just like the picture of the green cv. And then the diff side will just snap in to the diff as it would on the subaru. And then ill need to have the axle shortened and have it splined . Hopefully it can be given that the spline diameter isn't bigger than the axle shaft. Still not sure where i can have this done so if you guys know a place please let me know. Thanks. Im in southern san diego California. Hope it works. Im always nervous that the set up i have now will give out at any moment and leave me stranded.
Attachments
This is the axle that will need to be shortened.
This is the axle that will need to be shortened.
image.jpg (246.82 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
This is what the cv on the wheel side looks like.
This is what the cv on the wheel side looks like.
image.jpg (220.34 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
Found this online. This is what im eventually going to make.
Found this online. This is what im eventually going to make.
image.jpg (96.36 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Search for the DIY CV thread. There's a few mentions of a place in there that shortened and resplined axles.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
housew

Post by housew »

very cool dime. I have 0 experience with the qr25de, but im glad you shoved it in there and stayed presistant. :D
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Hi guys just an update. Been a little while but ive been busy. I was able to find a 2007 nissan frontier trans at the junk yard finally. (The one that bolts up to the qr25) also was able to be the test ginny pig for jim wolf tech and their new lightened flywheel for the frontier qr25.

The new tranny is so much better than my old 86 300zx tranny.and the shifter throw is super tight its like i have a short throw kit on it but thats just the way the frontier is i guess. I finally have no grinding gears or load bearing noise:)

Also was tired of all the slop in my steering, so decided to swap in a manual rack and pinion from a 89 toyota mr2. And then used inner tie rods from a 1986 toyota corolla rwd, amd outer tie rods from a 1995 toyota mr2. The reason i used this combo is to get the right length. The stock mr2 tie rods were to long.

Im loving the rack and pinion its so accurate and best of all no slop, i can finally drive straight on the freeway with out having to struggle to stay in my lane.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (259.87 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (321.78 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (276.34 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (276.34 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (167.84 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (224.97 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (283.36 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (232.98 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (277.89 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (291.18 KiB) Viewed 9827 times
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

More pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (299.78 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (252.88 KiB) Viewed 9826 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Could you update the R&P thread with your work? Lots of guys would be interested in what you've done and your results.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Looks great. You've got lots of good stuff going on there! :D The new trans looks monstrous!

I'd love to see/hear how you got the column/steering shaft to work. In the one pic it looks quite elegant. Are you still using the 510 column?

My biggest fear with putting in my mr2 rack is getting the steering input to the rack and the block/trans clearance.

Someone needs to ask... Are you able to/did you measure some toe throughout the suspension travel and generate a bump curve?
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Yeah the new trans is scary how big it is i was worried it wouldn't fit. But its actually 4 inches shorter than the z31 so the tunnel just required a new hole and a little massaging and i was done.

Ive been wanting to do a rack so for a while i did lots of research on the idea of a rack and pinion i even got one from a 2006 sentra and shortened it so that it is the same exact length from inner tie rod to inner tie rod as the original datsun steering
, but by that time the things so dang narrow that the pinion shaft would have to be inside the engine block to fit. So i scrapped that idea and was trying to come up with some way of to lay the rack on its side so it could clear the block but it just wasnt happening. The qr25 has a wide clearance requirement under neath probably similar to the sr20.

Awhile after that i started to draw curves on auto cad to see how much would an inch longer on either side of the lca pivot affect my bump steer. So what i came up with ( and this is purely just the length of control arm vs the tie rod length ) is that in the datsuns measly 3-4 inches of suspension travel. every one on other fourms ive read about r&p is so concerned about only 1/32 of change in toe and then thats further minimized by the arm that the tie rod connects to to turn the wheel( not sire what its called) well its about 4 inches so moving the end of that 1/32 of an inch has such a tiny effect on the wheel that i decided to give it a shot.

And ive been loving every second driving with my r&p its a totally new car. Its easier to turn the wheel and there is zero slop in the wheel ( my old steering box had bout 30 degrees of steering wheel play without moving the wheels)

Just a side note the mr2 rack is about 3 turns lock to lock.

As far as how i made the linkage for the rack i used u joints i got from the junk yard. And the original datsun steering column
But the problem with the stock column is that it is 2 parts and the bottom part can slide out which was fine for the steering box cuz it kept it there. So i welded mine together so that i no longer have to worry about it sliding out and getting jammed or loosing steering with the new r&p. i also cut back the tube at the end of the column so i could move the upper u joint as close to the fire wall as possible to get a better angle.

I havent noticed any bump steer at all. Maybe just cuz the suspension dosent move to much i domt know. I drive to work on a very windy road and the last part has quite a few dips. And it stays straight right threw all the bumps.
Attachments
Hers the shortened sentra r&p. if only id didnt have a motor in the way:(
Hers the shortened sentra r&p. if only id didnt have a motor in the way:(
image.jpg (392.12 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (252.33 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (290.27 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
Top u joint  for steering
Top u joint for steering
image.jpg (294.93 KiB) Viewed 9794 times
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Another update. The new trans and Jim wolf tech flywheel are doing great. Rack and pinion also holding up nicley.
Finally got some progress on the cv conversion.
Ended up making my own axle. Pine sure is great stuff. I think if I go easy on the gas should last last till the termites get it.
:D
Attachments
Checking fitment
Checking fitment
image.jpg (713.51 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
See even has splines.
See even has splines.
image.jpg (643.33 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
My new pine axle.
My new pine axle.
image.jpg (715.28 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
The adapter plate on outter cv.
The adapter plate on outter cv.
image.jpg (406.44 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

:lol:
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

People are awesome.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

A QR build!! I missed this.

Love the method you got going.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Watch out when using U-Joints at high angles of deflection in steering shafts. Rotational speed input to output becomes inconsistent. At certain times in the rotation the output gains and in others it lags.

The first steering linkage used on my tube frame 510 racecar had one u-joint at a very abrupt angle. Because of the way it was positioned when at center steering, 1/4 rotation of the steering wheel right needed 3/8 rotation to the left to match the opposite lock angle at the tire.

It gave the car a very strange feel when changing directions on the dirt switchbacks above tree line at Mount Washington.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
wagoneer

Post by wagoneer »

Sort of interesting posts and responses.... makes me ponder approaches to many things and stirs my philosophical bent, excuse my indulgence on the Realm, for what it's worth.
A short one about "giants"- perhaps working on 510's might be similar.
Long ago I was an amateur gymnast and saw a good handful of different guy's approaches to accomplish tricks. To me there appeared to be daredevils, and then much more conservative athletes, and guys in the middle. Some listened, more or less, to other guys who knew how to do the trick, some didn't at all. It seems to me in a larger picture there is no right way if it truly adds to your interests, learning, and growing; this in itself is not necessarily clear to oneself what that is; maybe the only way is to experience. For me, it took a bit longer than the daredevil who in my humble observation never really got to understand the eloquence of the trick; mind you he was able to do it, rather crudely, agonizingly maybe, yet never fully comprehending and appreciating deeply the move, yet in fairness perhaps much later he did. Finally, however long that is, I think it does take time to get to that place. I can say now without a doubt that I know I had the move really down, where it was nearly effortless, second nature, closer to rhythm than order, and touching gravity with such sensitivity in a unique and personal way. It was really cool to really know and feel it.
bonvo

Post by bonvo »

As someone who owns a 03 spec vive always thought that with how small the engine is physicly it would be a good swap personally if it were me i would have started with the truck engine and run the spec v ecu to make things easier but i wont lie im kinda glad to see someone doing this