Qr25de swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Dropoff510

Qr25de swap

Post by Dropoff510 »

Hey just wondering if anyone has done a qr25de swap from a Sentra SER. i have one And am thinking of putting it in my 1971 4door with a l18 single downdraft carb 2.25 exhast eaqual
length long tube header. Coilover up front and 200sx discs all around. I think 180ish hp abd gobs of torque will be great fun and very little wieght added if any. Any help as far as tranny to use wether it be sr20 or ka24 tranny. Thanks
icehouse

Re: Qr25de swap

Post by icehouse »

From what I've read the truck and car QR have the same bell pattern, why not use the truck tranny. If you do it I best see some updates :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Awsome! Thanks frmthe idea. I'm getting the
motor Saturday. So I'll post pics soon.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote:Awsome! Thanks frmthe idea. I'm getting the
motor Saturday. So I'll post pics soon.
No offense, young 510 owner, but there's much you need to know before removing your 510 from service and, in all likelihood given your posts in this thread, never driving it again.

As you didn't even know what transmission to use (and, for some reason, figured the SR or KA would be the likely candidates to donate theirs), what are you going to do about mounts? Is the QR from a Sentra front or rear sump? What are you going to do about the wiring? Do you have an FSM for the engine/car you're getting the engine from? What are you going to do about the throttle-by-wire setup the QR runs?

Given the lack of interest in the QR to date by 510 enthusiasts, you're going to be doing much of this research on your own. Your research, and your planning skills, will be vital to the your success in a QR swap.

Oh, and your L18 exhaust is WAY too big. :mrgreen:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
indy510

Post by indy510 »

I would do some serious research first (alright....maybe I wouldn't,, but someone smarter would)

Has anyone ever converted a Qr25 to RWD??? What about the distributor?? or coil packs???

If you can't find anyone on the net with a FWD Qr25 converted to RWD,,, there is probably a reason..........

Sorry if I sound hypocritical,,, because I tried to convert a FWD CA16de to RWD,,, spent about 6 months, and $500,,, and realized I was way over my head... and went back to a L18

That being said,,, it will cost way over $6,000 after you buy the motor before it runs and is mounted,, and driveshaft is customized,,, custom radiator,,, custom exaust,,, custom etc.,, custom etc............

Tomorrow is Saturday,,, please don't buy that motor.......... because you will spend 2 years cutting and welding and customizing..... and spend thousands of dollars

And in 2 years you might realize that you could have spent about $4,500 for a running, driving 2 door with a KA24DE

Do whatever you want,,, it just seems a lot easier to swap a motor that has been well documented and is a guarantee fit into a 510
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Well thanks for jumping to conclusions. Cuz obviously I would not be buying it without doing my home work. :) But I understand your consern. And I'm getting the motor for 75 bucks. So it's not Exacly a huge investment to start out.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote:Well thanks for jumping to conclusions. Cuz obviously I would not be buying it without doing my home work. :) But I understand your consern. And I'm getting the motor for 75 bucks. So it's not Exacly a huge investment to start out.
You can't even spell concern, and you obviously ARE buying it without doing your homework. I don't see how you can say differently simply based on your own posts.

The investment of your $75 is not a concern of mine. The loss of another running 510 due to a lack of planning and ability does concern me.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Alright man. I really am not trying to argue. I was just seeing if anyone had done it before. So what year is your 510?motor? And what not?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

indy510 wrote:Has anyone ever converted a Qr25 to RWD??? What about the distributor??
QR has no distributor. Nothing Nissan has had a distributor for near 20 years.
indy510 wrote:If you can't find anyone on the net with a FWD Qr25 converted to RWD,,, there is probably a reason..........
Not all QRs were FWD, as the Wolfman mentioned, they came in trucks in RWD configuration. The reasons behind the lack of QR swaps can be pointed directly at the tremendous aftermarket support of the SR-series. Aside from the knowledge of the engine, there's a great tuner community for the SR and, hence, tremendous aftermarket support. I'm sure the Sentra guys have done some work with the QR, but their small size can't equal the world support of the SR.

I'm not saying the SR is "better" than the QR. Certainly the QR has some significant improvements in technology over the SR. But from a swapper's standpoint, the case has yet to be made for the QR.

Who knows, maybe Mr. Drop will set the bar. There are obstacles to entry, however, that I don't think Mr. Drop has any inkling about.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote:So what year is your 510?motor? And what not?
Mine? I don't even own a 510. :lol:
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Well chop chop mr. Okayfine. You need to get a 510 and then you could put all reaserch to good work.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

okayfine wrote:
Dropoff510 wrote:So what year is your 510?motor? And what not?
Mine? I don't even own a 510. :lol:
Liar. it's still a 510.
just 'cause no one calls it a 510...
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
James

Post by James »

Okay is somewhat kidding - he has a sweet bluebird.
What these posts are trying to say is that while it is possible to do the qr swap, the sr and Ka have been done so moany times - there are proven ways of doing things which are documented. With the QR you will be trail blazing.....
Finished is better than perfect......
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Then blaze a trail I shall. And when it's done it's guna be awsome!
indy510

Post by indy510 »

Look dude,,,, I have experience at not completing 2 motor swaps that had never been tried in a 510 before...

I'm not trying to piss you off,,, you probably have way more fab skills than me....

All I'm saying is: 2 years ago I parted out my drivable 510 in-order to start a unique motor swap,,, I posted my idea here on theRealm,,, and everyone advised against it..... I told them, "just watch, i'll prove you wrong, and make the first bike-engined 510"...............then 1 year later I did the same thing with the FWD CA16de motor......

Now 2 years later,,,I wish I had listened to everyone's advice,,, I have spent the last year scrounging up all the little tid-bits to get my L18 running,,, it finally runs and drives,,, but I wish I had left it alone 2 years ago.....

If you don't take any advice from me,,, at least read this, "save all your little parts,, just in-case you want to go back to a L-series motor"

I had to weld up my firewall and buy a new crossmember,,, and have lowered the value of my car ten fold

Don't spend too much money until you know everything will fit without cutting the firewall.... :oops:

Because in this picture of a FWD QR25de it looks like both radiator hoses will be in your firewall:
And your steering box will be in the way for the radiator hose and exaust