My KA24 swap guide - more questions.

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: My KA24 swap guide - more questions.

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:Yes sorry I meant 240sx and I edited my post to avoid future confusion. My question was basically is it 100 times easier to just get it all from a 240sx to start with or does it really make much difference as far as the computer, wiring etc.
A 240SX KA24E will have more power than the truck engine, due to cam and ECU differences. KA24DE came in S13 (91-94), and S14 (95+) flavors. You can mix and match the S13 KA24DE parts between them, but there are wiring and hardware differences once you get to the S14 stuff. And wiring is different between 95, 96, and 97, then there are OBD-I '95 KAs, and OBD-II '95 KAs.

Most of latter differences won't mean much when dealing with a KA510. It's so much easier to get it all from the same car, if possible, though.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Ugh. I keep getting tripped up in the damn parts hunt.

I'm trying to throw a KA24E water pump pulley on, but noticed the pulley I found is a different type of belt from the DE style.

Anyone have any tips on what to do about this. Is there a different KA24E pulley that takes the same belt as the DE?

Anyone selling a custom pulley or tensioner????? I'm getting tired of throwing $2 a go to Pick N Pull for nothing.

This is the last damn thing I need to resolve. : /
wilderb

Post by wilderb »

okayfine wrote:
goatee wrote:Yes sorry I meant 240sx and I edited my post to avoid future confusion. My question was basically is it 100 times easier to just get it all from a 240sx to start with or does it really make much difference as far as the computer, wiring etc.
A 240SX KA24E will have more power than the truck engine, due to cam and ECU differences. KA24DE came in S13 (91-94), and S14 (95+) flavors. You can mix and match the S13 KA24DE parts between them, but there are wiring and hardware differences once you get to the S14 stuff. And wiring is different between 95, 96, and 97, then there are OBD-I '95 KAs, and OBD-II '95 KAs.

Most of latter differences won't mean much when dealing with a KA510. It's so much easier to get it all from the same car, if possible, though.

how can you tell if you have an obd1 or obd2 95 ka24de?
I know mine came off a 95 240sx with an automatic with an HU ecm but I don't know if it is obd1 or obd2
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

wilderb wrote:how can you tell if you have an obd1 or obd2 95 ka24de?
I know mine came off a 95 240sx with an automatic with an HU ecm but I don't know if it is obd1 or obd2
OBD-II will have a sensor going into the top of the transmission bellhousing to sense misfires. That's an easy spot, elsewise you'll have to run down your ECU number and see what Google or JWT say about it.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

oaklandsyd wrote:Anyone have any tips on what to do about this. Is there a different KA24E pulley that takes the same belt as the DE?
AFAIK, no. You can (as others have) switch to the KA/E crank pulley as well. Then you gotta swap the pulley on the alternator as well.

What cost, custom?
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

okayfine wrote: What cost, custom?
is that an offer to make one?? I'm cheap, but if you could fab a water pump pulley that would work. .... hm. we'll have to talk.

I can probably slap together a tensioner fabbed out of the idler pulley I pulled off. ugh.

I'm just worn out on the parts hunt.
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Cool thanks for the info! Theres a real cheap one close by that I'd LOVE to pick up but I just have no where to put it right now.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
chongmang

Post by chongmang »

Im sure this has been answered somewhere but i cant find where. if i go with like the mckinney mount or something similar does the 240sx nismo mounts fit straight on? if not, is there a crossmemeber on the market for these that do?
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

I used the motor mounts from my 510, and the upper brackets from the 240sx. fits like a dream, jsut gotta bolt them to the lower holes on the lower brackets on the crossmember.

if your talking transmission, there are a few places that make them, but i custom made my own.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

chongmang wrote:Im sure this has been answered somewhere but i cant find where. if i go with like the mckinney mount or something similar does the 240sx nismo mounts fit straight on? if not, is there a crossmemeber on the market for these that do?
Does the McKinney have the single center hole for the OE 240SX mounts? If so, they'll fit. If not, they won't fit. Most of the reversed crossmembers out there still use the OE 510 rubber mounts. The OE 240SX hydro mounts are better.
chongmang

Post by chongmang »

does anyone know who sells the crossmember with the one hole for the 240sx mounts?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

chongmang wrote:does anyone know who sells the crossmember with the one hole for the 240sx mounts?
I'm sure you could get DGR or TSR to do one, if you have the money. Also not difficult to make one yourself, if you have a welder. Set the engine on a stand, get the tilt correct, place the bare, reversed crossmember underneath and start building. Tis what I did for my SR swap.
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Resolved my issue. and got lucky too. someone had a 24e motor sitting in a pile of rust and they let me have everything.

it works great, just gotta grind the upper bracket a bit so the belt won't rub. the hose fit over the goose neck without interfering too much, but a spacer would make it a bit nicer.

I also have some radiator hose numbers that worked for me. will edit the main comment to include them.

http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/showth ... p?t=184085
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Wanted to first post a follow up to the penultimate disaster topic here. I've got a few more things to add to the list, maybe someday I'll actually do a complete write up.

THE CAR LIVES! FINALLY! Everything seems sound, and as I take it further and further away from my garage and trust my work more and more, I'm fairly confident in saying that, barring unforeseen disaster, the swap has been a success.

NOW....time for fine tuning.

I plan on digging into the FSM in a minute here, once Adobe behaves. ...The KA shifter seems to have a very narrow gate. I keep missing 2nd gear and slipping into 4th. I'm sure there is a certain level of comfort and getting used to in store, but I'm wondering if there is a way to control the shift gate a bit. Or if there is something to look at fixing if the gear pattern feels a bit loose and incongruent.

I plan on adjusting the clutch a bit more to make sure it's opening fully, so I'd like to make sure the shifting gets fine tuned as well.

thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

oaklandsyd wrote:The KA shifter seems to have a very narrow gate. I keep missing 2nd gear and slipping into 4th.

so I'd like to make sure the shifting gets fine tuned as well.
I've never had this problem (even with a short shifter installed). I've also never heard about adjustments to the shift gate. It kind of is what it is based on the tolerances of the gear internals.