My KA24 swap guide - more questions.

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
blasta510

Re: My KA24 swap guide - more questions.

Post by blasta510 »

For the ka24de to fit, you also need to take off the support brackets that go between the block and the tranny, or else it will sit on the steering linkage.
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Great info! I'm always collecting this info in the hopes that maybe I can swap to this motor in the future. Now it seems WAY easier to be sure you have 240sx stuff for the most part but this motor came in several different vehicles according to the wiki. Are there any vehicles you just plain wouldn't pull it from for any reason or will you just end up hunting for all the other bits you didnt get for not finding a 240sx?? Poorly worded but hopefully you get my drift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_KA_engine
Last edited by goatee on 26 Oct 2009 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:to be sure you have 200sx stuff for the most part
240SX stuff??
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mr.Fahrenheit

Post by Mr.Fahrenheit »

hey oaklandsyd,

im in the process of doing this swap as well and have been searching everywhere for tips. i found this on line regarding all intake issues and thoughts take a look. personally i am removing everything, egr, pcv, iacv, icav regulator and the butterfly and the rod. take a look at the site explaining some things, we should get together since we are pretty close and shot the shit.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/192553-ka ... l-faq.html - info and emissions

http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0 - how to CORRECTLY plug the pcv
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Mr.Fahrenheit wrote:pcv, iacv, icav regulator
Why are you removing these bits? Do you know what they do? Why install an EFI engine if you're going to hamper its function?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mr.Fahrenheit

Post by Mr.Fahrenheit »

i have a general idea as to what they do, the pcv is mainly used for emissions and it just recycles crank case vapors into the intake to be burned, so im removing it and just venting to atmosphere like the old cars used to be. the iacv is just used to regulate the idle speed and has no real affect on performance, the throttle body has an idle screw that can used so the icav is only really used at idle and i believe on decell. the motor i bought came with everything thing off except the pcv system, im doing that myself. im upgrading to efi for the sole purpose of fuel injection and these items dont have that big of an effect on that regards. please correct me if i am wrong at all. still learning.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Mr.Fahrenheit wrote:so im removing it and just venting to atmosphere like the old cars used to be.
Why? Do you start fires by rubbing two sticks together?

It doesn't hurt performance in any way and does help with emissions. Win-win. You don't gain anything by removing it. Also, the ECU is counting on that extra mixture coming in from the valve cover. It's not something it can measure since it doesn't pull past the MAF for it. It just counts on it being there. You will likely have running issues due to removing it. When I removed it as part of my ITB project the engine idled like crap and #4 fouled it's plug. Restored only the PCV system and, bingo, running engine, perfect idle.
Mr.Fahrenheit wrote: the iacv is just used to regulate the idle speed and has no real affect on performance, the throttle body has an idle screw that can used so the icav is only really used at idle and i believe on decell.
You have the idle valve and the cold-start valve you're talking about removing. Pulling both of those won't have an impact on performance as relates to HP, but will have an impact on performance as relates to drivability. Cold-starting will be like cold-starting a carbed engine. The ECU will want to control idle for a number of reasons.
Mr.Fahrenheit wrote:im upgrading to efi for the sole purpose of fuel injection
But why? You're handicapping your fuel injection by removing bits.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Mr.Fahrenheit wrote: the iacv is just used to regulate the idle speed and has no real affect on performance, the throttle body has an idle screw that can used so the icav is only really used at idle and i believe on decell. the motor i bought came with everything thing off except the pcv system, im doing that myself. im upgrading to efi for the sole purpose of fuel injection and these items dont have that big of an effect on that regards. please correct me if i am wrong at all. still learning.
I removed the IACV unit on my KA 620 and would never do it again! I read that quite a few guys do it down in cali but up here in Washington it's important IMO. My truck runs like shit compared to all the EFI rigs I have wired up. When it's cold anyways, once it's warm the idle quality isn't to bad.

We do always remove all the pollution crap though. I'm not a fan it. For fun find a old KA intake mani and run carb cleaner through it. So much shit comes out! My single cam mani was clogged full of crap.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

I like it
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
Mr.Fahrenheit

Post by Mr.Fahrenheit »

hmmm all good points im solely going off of what i have read on forums, i have no actual proof on how this will work. i have two manifolds, so i guess ill try both and see which one works, not sure..... most guys do this so i was just jumping on the wagon....i already started on the pcv delete, and the iacv and regulator were already blocked off so cant really change that. if i run into issues i guess i can just swap intake. also i believe i read somewhere that the s14(newer) ka's intakes already come without the pcv ports onto. once again i could be totally wrong. :roll:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Mr.Fahrenheit wrote:hmmm all good points im solely going off of what i have read on forums,
Oh. One of the reasons I suggest getting the FSM for your swap engine, so you can read all about the things yourself. But, of course, this is just another forum you're reading stuff off of :lol:

Seriously, figure it out and decide for yourself after obtaining the knowledge necessary to make the decision. I know it sounds old fashioned and a pain in the ass...but it is really the only way to go.
Mr.Fahrenheit wrote: i have no actual proof on how this will work.
What sort of "proof" are you looking for? How's that going to mean anything different compared to what you've read somewhere else? We've told you how it works, from experience. If you've just got to experience yourself instead, go for it. But Nissan originally didn't put most of that stuff on there because they had huge engineering budgets they needed useless projects to blow it on.
Mr.Fahrenheit wrote:most guys do this so i was just jumping on the wagon
Most everyone here does not, AFAIK. I still wonder why you'd swap to an EFI engine then hamstring its operation.
Mr.Fahrenheit wrote:if i run into issues i guess i can just swap intake.
Or you could avoid issues altogether.
Mr.Fahrenheit wrote: also i believe i read somewhere that the s14(newer) ka's intakes already come without the pcv ports onto. once again i could be totally wrong. :roll:
My S14 KA had PCV. Gotta start to wonder about where you've read all this misinformation.
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Hey guys...

I've sort of hit a wall trying to track down some parts. The car is almost done!!!

Radiator hoses...I know its all up in the air... but My local parts store isn't too keen on me digging through their hose stock until I find what I want...

So... I went with a Rabbit Radiator for the KA. trying to find part numbers from hoses people have used, or if I should just get some Goodyear flexible hose.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

oaklandsyd wrote:So... I went with a Rabbit Radiator for the KA. trying to find part numbers from hoses people have used, or if I should just get some Goodyear flexible hose.
I used a generic 90° bend with legs for the top. Bottom got a flex hose.
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

sweet. thats what i figured I'd do...
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Yes sorry I meant 240sx and I edited my post to avoid future confusion. My question was basically is it 100 times easier to just get it all from a 240sx to start with or does it really make much difference as far as the computer, wiring etc.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.