Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Re: Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Sorry this took forever, but here's a pic. Looking for anything in particular? I'm pretty sure it looks the same :wink:
Attachments
photo_2017-08-13_16-58-25.jpg
photo_2017-08-13_16-58-25.jpg (144.35 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

I some gunk from that filter in front of the pump. The pump seems to be doing a bit better now, though it has always seemed a bit on the loud side -- maybe that's just because it's in the cabin whereas they are usually outside?
FrankenDime

Post by FrankenDime »

Hi All,

I am the new owner of this car and just like DonnieDatsun said, it is impressive to drive. About 12 hours after taking ownership, the fuel pump started dying. I put in an in-tank high flow pump capable of up to 600hp and it is quiet as a mouse now.

I have an appointment to get the interior redone on Oct. 15th and another appointment for the full repaint near the end of the month or beginning of November.

So far, I have replaced the steering wheel with a new smaller one mounted to a quick release short hub. Having a couple of issues with the horn that I need to figure out.

Installed sparco pedals and VW beetle billet window cranks and door handles. Installed a notch top carbon fiber cover and blue anodized dress up bolts on the engine and cleaned off the red marker on the valve cover.

I switched over to the SSS grill that came with the car and added a datsun badge. Changed out the headlights to LED and added yellow fogs where the Brights were. Still need to wire them up. I have a CF air dam on order from BRE, and the missing antenna should be here today. I removed the oem mirrors and installed fender mirrors as I was used to driving my old dime with them and they are actually very easy to see with.

I replaced the older pitted bumpers with those from my old dime as they did not get damaged in the fire. The front bumper has been shaved 4 inches and all over rider holes filled. The rear has the over rider holes filled for a cleaner look as well.

A Techno Toy Tuning strut tower brace is on its way and I will be switching out the hood prop for struts like I had on my old dime.

A black carpet kit will be delivered today as well and I added a center vent to the AC hose that was sticking out of the center of the dash.

I have received all of the badging for the car and am waiting until after paint to install them and the JDM center garnish for the tail lights.

When the car is repainted, the old mirror holes will be welded, the holes from the side mouldings will also be filled and rust areas will be mitigated. All rubbers will be replaced when the interior is redone and I will have some carbon fiber accent pieces installed as well as mini cooper center console risers to surround the dashlogger and TC unit. I also ordered billet interior c-pillar vents to replace the plastic ones so those will be installed when the headliner is redone.

That is all I can think of for now, but I know I plan on powder coating or painting the valve cover at some point.
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

FrankenDime wrote: 08 Oct 2018 11:33 Hi All,

I am the new owner of this car and just like DonnieDatsun said, it is impressive to drive. About 12 hours after taking ownership, the fuel pump started dying. I put in an in-tank high flow pump capable of up to 600hp and it is quiet as a mouse now.

I have an appointment to get the interior redone on Oct. 15th and another appointment for the full repaint near the end of the month or beginning of November.

So far, I have replaced the steering wheel with a new smaller one mounted to a quick release short hub. Having a couple of issues with the horn that I need to figure out.

Installed sparco pedals and VW beetle billet window cranks and door handles. Installed a notch top carbon fiber cover and blue anodized dress up bolts on the engine and cleaned off the red marker on the valve cover.

I switched over to the SSS grill that came with the car and added a datsun badge. Changed out the headlights to LED and added yellow fogs where the Brights were. Still need to wire them up. I have a CF air dam on order from BRE, and the missing antenna should be here today. I removed the oem mirrors and installed fender mirrors as I was used to driving my old dime with them and they are actually very easy to see with.

I replaced the older pitted bumpers with those from my old dime as they did not get damaged in the fire. The front bumper has been shaved 4 inches and all over rider holes filled. The rear has the over rider holes filled for a cleaner look as well.

A Techno Toy Tuning strut tower brace is on its way and I will be switching out the hood prop for struts like I had on my old dime.

A black carpet kit will be delivered today as well and I added a center vent to the AC hose that was sticking out of the center of the dash.

I have received all of the badging for the car and am waiting until after paint to install them and the JDM center garnish for the tail lights.

When the car is repainted, the old mirror holes will be welded, the holes from the side mouldings will also be filled and rust areas will be mitigated. All rubbers will be replaced when the interior is redone and I will have some carbon fiber accent pieces installed as well as mini cooper center console risers to surround the dashlogger and TC unit. I also ordered billet interior c-pillar vents to replace the plastic ones so those will be installed when the headliner is redone.

That is all I can think of for now, but I know I plan on powder coating or painting the valve cover at some point.
I can't wait to see some pics on this. I'm glad it finally found a home where it's progressing.
FrankenDime

Post by FrankenDime »

Hi all,
it has been almost 4 weeks since I dropped the car off for interior and stereo. Can't wait to get it back and then off to paint it goes. I ordered Rays Volk te37v's which should be here next week. I have new chrome trim for the tail lights on the way and have the center garnish between the taillights that I refurbished after my old dime's fire. I have all of the emblems, NOS c-pillar vents, and antenna coming in. Have a new radiator cap, and billett oil cap. Some JDM parking sticker and registration stickers are also in hand.

I just finished another one-off roof rack with copper rails and marvel comics sealed on the wood slats. This was a throwback to my old dime's rack lost in the fire. I notched two of the wood slats to fit the vintage schwinn BMX that will be mounted every so often. The pic is of it almost complete.

I have a question as I am wondering which turbo was put in this engine. I cannot seem to find anything in this thread and cannot seem to get any info from the builder. I would like to start dressing up the engine for shows and one of the things I want to replace is the air filter pipe between the turbo and filter.

DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

FrankenDime wrote: 14 Nov 2018 23:11 Hi all,
it has been almost 4 weeks since I dropped the car off for interior and stereo. Can't wait to get it back and then off to paint it goes. I ordered Rays Volk te37v's which should be here next week. I have new chrome trim for the tail lights on the way and have the center garnish between the taillights that I refurbished after my old dime's fire. I have all of the emblems, NOS c-pillar vents, and antenna coming in. Have a new radiator cap, and billett oil cap. Some JDM parking sticker and registration stickers are also in hand.

I just finished another one-off roof rack with copper rails and marvel comics sealed on the wood slats. This was a throwback to my old dime's rack lost in the fire. I notched two of the wood slats to fit the vintage schwinn BMX that will be mounted every so often. The pic is of it almost complete.

I have a question as I am wondering which turbo was put in this engine. I cannot seem to find anything in this thread and cannot seem to get any info from the builder. I would like to start dressing up the engine for shows and one of the things I want to replace is the air filter pipe between the turbo and filter.

Hey Dave,

Turbo is a Borg Warner T3, I forget which one specifically. It's probably on here somewhere if you can match it to a picture: https://agpturbo.com/borg-warner-turbos/

Speaking of pictures, the one you posted doesn't seem to work but the work list sounds sick. I planned to have the ability to carry bikes myself, so I fully support that mod.
FrankenDime

Post by FrankenDime »

Thanks man...do you know if it is twin-scroll? Any idea the model number of the turbo? I think it is twin-scroll as it appears to have dual wastegates.

I am not sure why you cannot see the pic. If you follow me on Instagram my name is @squirreldinner and I posted a pic of the rack there.

FrankenDime

Post by FrankenDime »

SCROLL DOWN FOR PICTURES:

Bringing back a post from the dead. The dime is done...for now. After 3 sets of wheels (Volk te37v in bronze, SSR Longchamp, Konig Rewinds), I have finally settled on TE37v SL 1920 limiteds in Pressed Graphite...15x7 ET0. It took 7 months to get them but they match the car better than the other 3. I still hav the bronze and the rewinds, but the bronze te37s are too wide so they sit for sale.

This dime has been a love hate relationship. mostly hate. The amount of rust to mitigate was crazy...the wiring job done by an "engineer" almost caught the car on fire shortly after getting it back from paint so I started from scratch and redid the entrie chassis and engine harness. Threw out eh ECU and Relay block in favor of ECU Master counterparts. The speed sensors for traction control were all broken but one so no more traction control. I replaced the TC rods with Futofab pieces. Had to downsize the rear brakes and calipers to fit the 15" wheels...got rid of the hideous 16" wheels.

Shaved the door mirrors and holes as well as shaved the holes from the side molding. Put on the shaved and shortened front bumper from my old dime and added the JDM center garnish to the rear of the car. Shaved the license plate lights to fit the JDM centerpiece and use led license plate lights.

Painted the valve cover to match the new paint, painted the T3 strut tower brace feet to also match the car. Switched out most of the lines for blue lines. Swapped out the oem hood for carbon fiber and then had it re-cleared and painted to leave the CF peaking out, Added a BRE front air dam in CF. total interior gut and redo with custom center console. CF gauge cluster, GPS Speedo. Custom digital dash in the center with two maps so far at 5 and 10psi. Pro tuned to roughly 340HP to the wheels.
tons of other mods listed below.

Mod List:

• Exterior

o Full Miami Blue paint job done by Chris Petriancosta
o Full Ceramic coating done by Hyer Quality Detail
o Clear bra (Hyer Quality Detail) on the roof to protect paint from the roof rack fairing
o Swapped oem mirrors for black fender mirrors
o Tint 20% all around and 35% on the windshield
o Changed the OEM grill for a SSS grill
o SSS badge
o ZCar Depot LED Headlamps
o Swapped out all bulbs for LED
o Replaced warn turn signal lenses up front
o Installed the funnels and fogs that were on my old dime
o Swapped out warn and chipped bumpers with the painted bumpers which survived the fire.
 Front bumper chopped 4 inches
o Refurbished headlight bezels
o New chrome surrounds for the taillights
o BRE carbon fiber air dam
o Hartman FG Carbon Fiber Hood
o Replaced warn or missing emblems
o Rare JDM Center taillight garnish refurbished after the fire (done by SSS restorers)
o Shaved license plate lights replaced with LED screw lights
o One-off copper roof rack adorned with Marvel comics (built by me)

• Interior

o Full Custom interior done by Scottsdale Auto Upholstery black leather with blue stitching
 Door cards
 Center console
 Audio
 Seats
 Carpet
 Headliner
 Trunk
 Battery tray
o Skillard aluminum door sills
o Billet door-pulls and window cranks
o Billet headlight and windshield wiper pulls
o Billet C-Pillar Vents
o Carbon Fiber Quick-release steering wheel hub
o Nardi 330mm steering wheel
o Retro-Spec Carbon fiber dash gauge pod
o Billet faceplate behind headlight and wiper knobs
o One-off painted and milled Skunk 6 speed shift knob
o Shaved rear door lock pulls
o Billet front door lock pulls
o New rubber throughout
o Trunk prop strut
o Replaced all AC vent hoses
o Custom fire extinguisher and mount
o New dash cap and rear deck
o Sparco Pedals

• Engine

o 1999 s15 SR20DET notchtop
o 6 Spd Transmission
o Toyota Celica power steering rack
o Cruise Control
o Full rewire (due to poor wiring job from original builder) by Xavier Miller of XOR Motorsports
o Carbon fiber spark plug cover
o Paint matched the valve cover (Miami Blue)
o Replaced old silicon hoses with blue counterparts
o Heat Shielding
o Replace majority of screws and bolts with chrome or stainless steel counterparts
o Hood struts
o Full Tune done by UMS tuning
o HotRodAir Air Conditioning
o AEM intake air sensor relocated
o Blitz radiator cap
o Tomei oil filler cap
o Dual exit custom exhaust
o Fuel Cell with high-flow pump

• Electronics

o Keyless Entry
o GPS Speedo
o Autometer Gauges (tach, speedo, oil pressure, fuel, voltage, water temp, boost gauge)
o ECU Master EMU Black ECU
o ECU Master PDU16 PDM done by XOR Motorsports
o Custom electronic Dash in center console by XOR Motorsports
o JL Audi JW13 Subwoofer
o Hertz Components
o Hertz Amps
o Hertz Crossover
o Alpine Head unit
o Bass control knob
o Odyssey PC925 battery relocated to trunk

• Suspension and wheels

o T3 strut tower brace (feet painted to match car)
o FutoFab adjustable TC rods and LCA’s
o FutoFab trailing arm camber adjustment brackets
o Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable shocks in front (180 pound)
o Koni Shocks in rear (200 pound)
o Ground Control coilovers
o 280zx struts and camber plates
o Wilwood 4 disk brake conversion with reverse pedal mount
 Modified rear brakes to fit smaller JDM wheels done by Fast Brakes
o replaced leaking Brake Master cylinder with new.
o R200 long-nose clutch pack limited slip
o 15x7 ET0 Volk TE37V SL 1920 limited wheels
o Toyo Proxes T1R

BEFORE:

AFTER:

FrankenDime

Post by FrankenDime »

DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Looks sweet! Lots of time there. Glad it's finally done.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

great build !!!
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

damn nice build, love the roof rack.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Just wondering what setup you have on the clutch and brake I see it is different than stock I figured for clearance.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

I believe I see it now in the spec info posted above.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Nice car