Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
five&dime

Re: Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Post by five&dime »

Yeah... Got to drive the bean. What a beast!!!! :twisted:

It is incredibly fast and smooth. Quiet too!!! The best part is going WOT and not even spinning the tires at all. It's almost like driving his brothers R35 GTR :)

I bet we surprised the hell out of people coming off the exit ramp onto 95

Edit: Also makes me realize how flippin slow my 128RWHP L23 is :(
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

batfastard wrote: I'll let him describe driving the "Green Bean" for the first time.....
:evil: thats the name of my wagon!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

goichi1 wrote:What plane are you building??? is it an Vans RV? that's what I want to build.....but no money for it right now..... :?
You guessed it! An RV10 to be more specific. Check out the build log: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/category. ... category=0
hang_510 wrote:
batfastard wrote: I'll let him describe driving the "Green Bean" for the first time.....
:evil: thats the name of my wagon!
I guess there will be a left coast "Green Bean" and a right coast "Green Bean". :o

BF
I accidentally went full retard.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Daaamn!!! you guys are fast, only a few days to build the vert stab!....I envy you guys, I want to build one so bad it's killing me, I have the Dan Checkoway CD if you like a copy, his site is down now, but tons of good info on the CD, he built the -7, so most of it's the same I am sure. My uncle built a -6, slow build before the pre-drilled era, I flew it twice, very nice aircraft, you guys are gonna be stoked to fly that thing, I will be keeping up with your build log. How close are you to your private ticket? I got mine here in Japan flying at Yokota Air base, right out there with the big boys, just like Class B airspace!! lots of fun!! i miss flying, need to get my butt back up there!!
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

goichi1 wrote:Daaamn!!! you guys are fast, only a few days to build the vert stab!....I envy you guys, I want to build one so bad it's killing me, I have the Dan Checkoway CD if you like a copy, his site is down now, but tons of good info on the CD, he built the -7, so most of it's the same I am sure. My uncle built a -6, slow build before the pre-drilled era, I flew it twice, very nice aircraft, you guys are gonna be stoked to fly that thing, I will be keeping up with your build log. How close are you to your private ticket? I got mine here in Japan flying at Yokota Air base, right out there with the big boys, just like Class B airspace!! lots of fun!! i miss flying, need to get my butt back up there!!
My brother is only a few cross countrys away from getting his, and I'm only about 12 hrs into my training. I, only two sessions ago switched from the Cessna 172 to a Piper Warrior (because thats what my brother bought to complete our training for PPL and IFR) and find that a low wing plane is much easier to fly. I really want to build a fully aerobatic RV 8 for me and my son to go out and have fun with, but I have a felling we'll be building another RV 10 after this one is done. The RV 10 is just so much more pratical. BTW your uncle built a slow build RV?, Holy crap that takes a long time!!!! I personally am tired of clecos, match drilling, deburring, dimpleing, disassembly, cleaning, priming, reassembling with lots of clecos, only then to be able to lock it in place with rivets, and cant wait til' we finish the tail and recieve the "Quick build wings and fuse!". Predriled/quickbuild is the only way to go! BTW, you got your PPL flying in class B airspace?.......Damn.... I still have a hard time radioing in my 4 different legs of the pattern when I'm doing touch and go's in an uncontrolled airport! Its time to sharpen up my radio skills..... "Hanover traffic, Warrior 60 hotel is left downwind for 34, Hanover". LOL
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

What in the world do ya'll do for a living? Maybe I need to do the same so I can have a garage like that and buy planes!!!
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

hahaha....yea, the radio takes a little getting used too, I flew the 172, really easy to fly too, it can also take a beating!! I slammed it down a few times!! also the airforce base had minimums on final, there is a perimeter road that you have to be over 800 feet when you cross it, so that made for some really fun fwd slip landings, really cool to throw the plane almost sideways and drop really steep, then square up at the last few seconds.....I have a few vidoes somewhere , I will look for them. I want to get back out there and work on my IFR, maybe soon....I haven't flown in about 2 years.....so I gotta get back current, then go from there. I think I solo'd at about 16 or 17 hours...finished everything at the bare minimum of 40 hours...I actually stayed in the pattern to make sure I had enough time to add up. My first solo x-country was to a small island off the coast of Japan called Oshima, there were winds gusting to 35+ or so knots, I landed anyway like a dumb ass.....I swear I thought I landed in the grass!!! scared the hell out of me!! My japanese instructor about killed me when I told him that....have fun flying, just remember....GO AROUND!!! it's always better on the second approach!!!

I hope to build a -7 someday, I always hit the Vans home page to check kit prices, I have watched them go up about 3000 dollars over three or four years....I should hurry!!
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

Speaking of airplanes... this summer a modern float plane crashed into one of the lakes I look after.
While the recovery team was looking for it in over 400 feet of water, they also searched for a plane lost in 1947...

They found a Tiger Moth biplane in near pristine condition sitting upright and undamaged on the bottom of the lake.... plans are to pull it out this summer... hoping Canadian Geographic shows up for the story.

The plane landed on skis on the ice in 1947 to pick up a sick trapper at his very remote cabin.... the ice broke and the plane sunk down in about 70 feet of water.
very interesting thread on it here http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... 68803447b9
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

batfastard wrote:I guess there will be a left coast "Green Bean" and a right coast "Green Bean". :o
8) till we meet then :!:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

The right coast "green bean" is for sale! Long story short: I want to buy an airplane and need cash, lots of it. Anyone know how much this car will bring? I need help putting a price on this. BTW the car is in perfect running order.

Jamie
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

This car is back in business! I'm amazed by the extent and quality of work done so far. I don't have the space or facilities to carry out some of these jobs, but I hope to continue taking this build forward, starting with some interior cosmetics. Perhaps this thread should move to the projects forum?

I've got a mind to add/refresh some of the fluids and I was curious if anyone has suggestions there (brake, trans, engine oil, power steering)

I'm pretty busy with grad school but hopefully I'll be able to make progress
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Congrats on the purchase.

Brake fluid is fine (no need to replace)
Trans fluid is only 5 yrs and 4000 miles old. (may want to change it) use whatever you would for a s-15 240sx
Engine oil has been Mobile 1 10-30 fully synthetic
Power steering fluid - generic (no need to replace)
Rear end is fine as well (if u do change it make sure you add the limited slip additive for a clutch pack LSD)

Have fun and most importantly, be safe!
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Thanks for the response, Jamie! The first miles on this thing have been pure bliss, as I'm sure you can imagine, very impressive build. I promised not to pester the crap out of you with questions, so I'll try to keep it to the realm ;) But I certainly appreciate any input you get a chance to provide as the master of this build.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

My best advice to you would be to download the instruction manuals for the D200 from Powertrain Control Solutions, the Racelogic system (go ahead and pay for the 3rd party thing or whatever) and the software for tuning the Electromotive Tech GT. Next step would be to find someone in your area that can tune the Tech GT and have them tune the hot or heat soaked restarts. As far as engine tuning, thats where I left off. It's not that it won't start, it just takes longer than it should when hot or heat soaked. (Money well spent)

The speed sensitive steering setup needs to be addressed next via the D-200. It uses a nitrous solenoid to dump pressure from the supply line to the rack to the reservoir in an attempt to eliminate "power" steering at speed. To be clear, the car is so light that it needs just a little steering help in parking lots etc. and NO assist above 40mph or so. The incriments are too coarse in the D-200. (speed vs pwm out) A restrictor or orifice should be installed in the "dump" side of the system and the D-200 should be recalibrated.

After that, I would HIGHLY recommend installing a full roll cage and a proper racing seat. These cars are very light and offer little in terms of protection especially in the event of a roll over. Remember, this car is custom built and has a power to weight ratio of less than 7lbs/hp. That equals impressive acceleration with NO protection. Go over every detail in the suspension, brakes, chassis and engine BEFORE going out and just blasting around town in it. I mean put it on a rack and examine EVERYTHING.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

One more thing..... It has a stock clutch from a S-15. If you go over about 12 psi of boost it will slip in 3rd and 4th gear. Doesn't mean the clutch is bad, just means it won't hold up to the upper power levels the engine is capable of. Keep that in mind when tuning the boost in the D-200.