Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
goichi1
Supporter

Re: Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Post by goichi1 »

It really looks like there is something wrong with your diff, there should not be that much play between the drive shaft and half shafts....is there a difference in diameter of the WCR axle compared to the DSS axle? or do you have them mix matched right now? I have been hearing a clunk in mine lately, but still using the U-joint shafts, I haven't looked at them yet, but I am blaming them without looking, I might be surprised what I find too, I am waiting on the DSS CV's to get here now, this is why I have yet to investigate........
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Theres nothing wrong with the diff. Even the slightest turn if the input shaft results in rotation of the output flanges. Watch the vid, watch how the inner cv moves and the outer doesn't.

The axles that are on my car now is exactly as recieved from WCR. My stock 280zx cv's (with the shorter shaft from DSS) are tripod setups, completely different design than WCR axles.
okayfine wrote:Surprising. I hadn't heard this complaint about the WCR stuff previously. My Type-II stuff and aftermarket shafts don't have slop I can measure, much less see. I've learned my new thing for today.
Got a link to the "Type-II" setup?
I accidentally went full retard.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

batfastard wrote:
Got a link to the "Type-II" setup?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10917

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10403&hilit=cv+axle
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Wow, something definitely looks wrong in the joint. I just got a chance to look at that vid clip tonight and it's not right at all. There is a pending failure in the works there.
Todd seems like a really stand up guy, have you sent him an email?
He's got back to me very quickly with questions; I wouldn't hesitate to call him at all. He had too many of these kits out there with no issues, and that video is not right. There must be an answer for you here. Send him the vid clip in an email, I’m sure he’ll get right back to you.
And I too am curious as I am about to buy a set of CV Axels from WCR.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Since having the same type "clunking" sound in my rear end somewhere, I started asking around and talked to an old japanese car guy, he said maybe I have too much backlash in the diff, but a little clunking sound is normal for the R200. Now, I have no idea what his definition of "little clunking" is....I could have lost a little in the translation too....he only spoke a little car english....but it was cool talking to him and looking through his big shop full of junk and old stuff....I'll take my camera nixt time I go! my shafts should be here by next week, so then I can put them together and maybe you can compare them to mine(DSS)?? just a thought.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

goichi1 wrote:Since having the same type "clunking" sound in my rear end somewhere, I started asking around and talked to an old japanese car guy, he said maybe I have too much backlash in the diff, but a little clunking sound is normal for the R200. Now, I have no idea what his definition of "little clunking" is....I could have lost a little in the translation too....he only spoke a little car english....but it was cool talking to him and looking through his big shop full of junk and old stuff....I'll take my camera nixt time I go! my shafts should be here by next week, so then I can put them together and maybe you can compare them to mine(DSS)?? just a thought.
A short vid like I did would be awesome too. I emailed Todd today with the link to my vid and he responded pretty quick. He's looking into it. Judging from the email he sent he's not liking what he's seeing. I'll update as soon as I hear back from him.

BF
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I can't do a video right now, mine is torn apart for the modded rear crossmember, i am going to go ahead and strip and undercoat it too while I have it apart, so that adds a few weeks to the project. but when I get it all back together I will do that.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

I spoke with Todd yesterday. Long story short, he said to send the axles back (hes paying to ship back) and I'll have the new ones monday. As Byron said, he seems to be a real stand up guy. He wants to get this fixed ASAP. I like dealing with a person like this. I'll update next week when I get them installed.

BF
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's good to hear. What I would be more interested in is what went wrong?
I know, as a machinist, it's always possible for a machine tolerance to be out, or that a few of the mass bought parts don't match the rest - it happens to the best of us. I've had it happen to me numerous times over the years with various projects with my work. The one time you don't check - well Murphy will be right there, you can count on it!
I'm planning of buying a set of these WCR axles in the new year, so it makes me a little extra curious you could say.
Byron
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

here is a vid of mine i took today after seeing your video... I bought my WCR over 2 years ago and todd said this is normal.. Mine has a slight clunk but since they are past the warranty period, theres not much i can do.
Being from down under makes it a tad more difficult

http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr27 ... I_0198.flv

Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You both now have me wondering...that play just doesn't seem correct. Anyone else with this CV set up?
How about Matts set ups with the VW joints, are they similar in regards to play?
Byron
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

I dont remember for sure (Todd and I talked a lot about the "One Lap of America" thing) but I think either the axle was cut too small or the inner cv was cut too large. I think the place that makes some of the parts also makes axles for other vehicles. Something about them being used for off road dune buggies, where the axles themselves plunge into the inner cv joint as well as the cv itself "plunging" as well. I dont remember the whole conversation as we talked about diffs and spring rates etc. AFTER we talked about the cv's. :)

BF
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

I have the same axles with a r160...no clunking while dirving...no vibration. From my past expierence working on BMW and Mercedes cars....they all clunk some on the lift. Yours seems excessive. Have the diff output shaft bearings been checked for damage after removing the zx cv axles ? May have crushed the bearings with the amount of leverage put on the bearings if the suspension was not allowed to compress all the way and had severe binding. That could cause clunking and vibration.

I had a issue with one of axles poping out but it was from a stub axle not seating properly...I installed a different stub axle(with the mod) and raised the car a touch and has been good to go since.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

I just got the car back on the road again today. I forgot how quick this thing is! The axles Todd initially sent me had the wrong inner CV race. He corrected the problem quickly and paid for return shipping as well. The new axles have approx 60% less slop and it is hardly noticeble while driving. I also had the driveshaft rebalanced and I am now proud to report that I have a smooth running/driving 510. My brother and I started building an airplane and between that, pilot training and work, not much is going to get done to the 510 anytime soon. At least now I can drive it and enjoy it whenever the weather is nice. Five and Dime came out to the shop today to dyno his car and I let him drive my 510, I'll let him describe driving the "Green Bean" for the first time.....

BF
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

What plane are you building??? is it an Vans RV? that's what I want to build.....but no money for it right now..... :?