Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
batfastard

Re: Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Post by batfastard »

That was my first thought. Tire balance. I just dropped off the car at the tire shop to get them balanced. I'll see if its any better or worse when I get it back.

BF
I accidentally went full retard.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Just curious why you ordered the shafts from two places? I just ordered the shafts from thedriveshaftshop and they did custom lenghts for both sides (have not received them yet). What were your measurements that you gave driveshaftshop for the short side? they had me measure from hub flange face to stub flange face, thanks, Rich
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

batfastard wrote:That was my first thought. Tire balance. I just dropped off the car at the tire shop to get them balanced. I'll see if its any better or worse when I get it back.

BF
The tire were a little out of balance. However the vib is still there some. Its a whole lot better but still there nonetheless. Only now its only at the 55mph range, from 60 on up its smooth. Today I took the driveshaft out to inspect it and the U-joints look fine. I'm kinda stumped as to what it is. I mean its not horrible at all, perfectly driveable, but I want it to be smooth as silk.

goichi1 wrote:Just curious why you ordered the shafts from two places? I just ordered the shafts from thedriveshaftshop and they did custom lenghts for both sides (have not received them yet). What were your measurements that you gave driveshaftshop for the short side? they had me measure from hub flange face to stub flange face, thanks, Rich
To be clear I ordered the whole cv kit from WCR. Then I ordered one shaft (just the steel shaft, nothing else) for my 280zx turbo cv's from the DSS. This shaft is approx. 1" shorter than the stock one on the drivers side. The reason for this is that I called the DSS 2-3 times and the Datsun guru there was too busy packing up stuff for the PRI show to lokk thru some old catalogs, find the part number i needed and find the part. I gave him 2 days before I called WCR and ordered his kit thinking that it was a long shot getting a shaft from the DSS. Low and behold 2 hours after I ordered the kit from WCR, the guy from the DSS calls and says "I have the axle you need right here in my hands". I thought what the hell, go ahead and send it and I'll have a whole spare setup just in case. In case you are wondering, no, I dont have a lot of patience. :)
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

when i had a vibration in my 510 i tried many things to fix it... in the end my vibration was caused by a twisted gearbox output shaft.
Are all the axle and prop shaft bolts done up tight?
I would recommend undoing the prop(drive shaft from gearbox) shaft and turning 180 degrees and see if that fixes
it.
Are the diff bearings ok? Rear suspension bushes ok?
When you installed the diff did you use the correct shims so the diff angle is correct?
Are the Flywheel/Clutch cover bolts tight?
Harmonic balancer ok?

good luck in you quest for a vibration free 510
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

All of the driveline parts are tight. (just checked) I dont think it has anything to do with the clutch/flywheel assy. because at those speeds I can push the clutch pedal in and its still there. I think I'm gonna go ahead and get a new driveshaft made from the DSS with larger u-joints and a new yoke. In the meantime I'm gonna enjoy it for a few more weeks til the complete disassembly starts at the first of the year. I have no idea when it'll get put back together. Depends on how long it takes to strip it down to bare metal and get it painted. Engine rebuild, sourcing decent seals, weatherstripping.......I've got a lot to do to it next year!

BF
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Jamie,

Don't rebuild her before the Mitty!!!!!
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Agreed, be sure to have it in Atl. in the spring, I want to check out that traction control.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

when you had the wheels balanced, did you put them all back in the same locations? if so, try rotating them around, then see if it changes. Sounds like there is either a wheel balance or tire issue....has the car been sitting a long time on those tires? I have seen tires get flat spots from sitting, just a thought. I have also removed rear hubs and found one to be bent in the past, probably from someone pounding it out with a big hammer....it was only slightly bent, but it don't take much.....The DDS also recommends clocking the drive shaft 180% if there is any noticeable vibration when installing the shaft....
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

The wheels have been changed, driveshaft clocked 180 degrees, and it gets driven almost everyday. Rear hubs........dont have a clue. I'll pull them out next week and have them machined flat in a lathe like I should have done in the begining or one of the 100 times I've have the rear out.

The WCR axles have quite a bit of slop in them. I took a vid of it and posted it on my photobucket site. I dont think it has anything to do with the vibration but it does have a clunk in it now that it didnt have before. (going from coast to accl.) Well, it did but it was very slight. Hardly noticeable. Heres the link http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/Green4doorDime/ I'm also going to rebuild the 280zx axles with shorter shafts next week and reinstall to see if that makes any difference.

Yesterday, I installed a 3 axis accelerometer and while testing the turning G's I completely bottomed out the front suspension. 180# springs aren't going to be enough alone. A sway bar is definitely in order. Hope to tackle that next week too. It seems the more I do, the more I need to fix. :) On a side note, it does 0-60 in 4.78 sec. with 5% (10% actually) slip allowed on the TC and launch mode set at 4500rpm's. At that setting it accelerates at .55G's.

BF
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I watched the video and that amount of slop is not allowed. It can't be. There has to be something not tightened. The backlash in my set up from the driveshaft to the wheel is barely perceptable. In your video, you can actually see the driveshaft turn without any corresponding turn of the axle. This can't be right! Look into this more.

A lot of help from me today huh?

I just watched it again. Are the bolts that attach the adapter to the differential flange tight. What about the bolts from the same adapter to the CV joint? Something has to be loose to get that much backlash. There should be essentially ZERO backlash in the CV joint itself and from the splined fit between the inner CV and the axle shaft, so where is it coming from?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If you turn the driveshaft and nothing happens, it's not the CVs, it's the diff. Excessive backlash in the diff setup will also result in a clunk upon shifting, and if it's bad enough, upon loading/unloading the drivetrain. Shouldn't result in a vibration at speed under constant load, however.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

S15DET wrote:I watched the video and that amount of slop is not allowed. It can't be. There has to be something not tightened. The backlash in my set up from the driveshaft to the wheel is barely perceptable. In your video, you can actually see the driveshaft turn without any corresponding turn of the axle. This can't be right! Look into this more.

A lot of help from me today huh?

I just watched it again. Are the bolts that attach the adapter to the differential flange tight. What about the bolts from the same adapter to the CV joint? Something has to be loose to get that much backlash. There should be essentially ZERO backlash in the CV joint itself and from the splined fit between the inner CV and the axle shaft, so where is it coming from?
I called Todd at WCR and he said this is normal. I dont like it at all. The slop is coming from new cv setup, splines on the shaft to the inner cv and the completed assy. The backlash in the diff is .006, barely noitcable. Everything is positively tight. :?
pcs_russ

Post by pcs_russ »

The slop is in the CV's and the splines between the shafts and the CV's. Watch the video again and you'll see the inner CV turning and the outer CV stationary. The backlash in the diff is .006". I know, because that's where I set it. I have the Porsche 930 CV's in my Z and they have some slop to them also. Just nothing near what these have. I noticed the slop before we greased the CV's and installed them. Most of the slop was in the splines between the axle and inner CV.

Russ
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Surprising. I hadn't heard this complaint about the WCR stuff previously. My Type-II stuff and aftermarket shafts don't have slop I can measure, much less see. I've learned my new thing for today.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

okayfine wrote: ... result in a clunk upon shifting, and if it's bad enough, upon loading/unloading the drivetrain. Shouldn't result in a vibration at speed under constant load, however.
even after reading the current DQ w/dereks write up, i still can not determine where my 'clunk' is coming from :twisted:

no vibrations at any speed.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.