Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
batfastard

Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Post by batfastard »

I've been lurking here for the past 6 months and have finaly decided to do a partial build thread. The reason for the title "Cuban Missle Crisis" is that my brother keeps calling my car "General Gonzalez". He says that it looks like something a cuban general would drive up to the battlefield in and laughs at it whenever he passes it by in the shop. I'll show him..... (He has an RB26 powered 260Z as well as a 09 GTR)

So far I've managed to fit up a S15 SR20 with a 6 speed, find and retrofit a powersteering rack from a Toyota Celica, install a Hot Rod Air A/C unit, installed a wilwood reverse pedal mount for the brakes and clutch, modified the original pedals to work (for stock apperance) and started on the suspension. (just got the 280zx front struts in a few days ago) I'm gonna finish up the suspension in the next two weeks. Then start on the brake lines. Pics to follow.....
I accidentally went full retard.
Byron510

Re: Cuban Missle Crisis!!!

Post by Byron510 »

Welcome to the board....

Keep us up to date on the build.

Pretty hard to miss your thread with a title like this!! :shock:

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
pcs_russ

Post by pcs_russ »

Its even harder to miss this car. Its the ugliest color you could imagine. You need a fuzzy hat like this to even get near it.

Russ
Attachments
fur_hat_mountain_man_003.jpg
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Heres a few pics of General Gonzalez and one from my brothers new toy and one from his 15 yr project, an RB26 powered 260Z. The Z is my inspiration for getting the 510 done. It took him 15 yrs to do his and with all of the tools and experienced gained thru his I hope I can make mine a 2-3 year project. Sorry for the quality of the pics, the camera phone was just handy so I used it. I'll get a real camera for the next few pics.
Attachments
0513091709 (Large).JPG
downsized_0513091714 (Large).JPG
0513091713a (Large).JPG
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

few more...
Attachments
0513091710 (Large).JPG
0513091711 (Large).JPG
0513091711a (Large).JPG
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

and the GTR and Z
Attachments
0519091051 (Large).JPG
0505091706 (Large).JPG
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

pcs_russ wrote:Its even harder to miss this car. Its the ugliest color you could imagine. You need a fuzzy hat like this to even get near it.

Russ

I dont think they wear those in Cuba, but they do smoke these. I cant wait when its finished to take a ride around town and do some "smoking".
Attachments
cuban cigar.jpg
cuban cigar.jpg (3.31 KiB) Viewed 9772 times
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Haha!!! Good to see you posting on here Jamie

I promise I will come by soon and take some real photos so you don't have to post cell phone photos :)

Build is coming along. From what I have seen so far (as well as the RB powered 240sx that blew my mind :twisted: ) I can bet this build is going to be nothing short of amazing!!!
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Thanks Byron for the welcome. BTW your camber brackets are excellent! should get them on next week.

Hey Brandon, yes, you need to get over here and take a ride in the GTR!!! Keep in mind the Z is no slouch either. But if you wanna drag race against the GTR you have to start at 70-80mph. The Z has a serious lack of traction under 70. :shock: Its a ton of fun though. The RB20 powered 240SX dynoed at 367 to the wheels, not bad for never opening up the engine. All stock internals! It is however quite slow and lethargic compared to the Z. Hope to see you soon.

Jamie
pcs_russ

Post by pcs_russ »

I dont think they wear those in Cuba, but they do smoke these. I cant wait when its finished to take a ride around town and do some "smoking".
I was imagining what attire you find someone wearing if they were driving that thing in eastern Europe where it belongs.

Russ
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Yeah yeah yeah, keep makin' fun of it..... It might not be enough for your GTR but I'm gonna be right beside you in your Z while you're hunting for traction. :roll: Well maybe....
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

On to the build.... Does anyone find a need to shorten the 280ZX struts when installing them into a 510? My wheels are 16X7 and the tires are 205 45's and the car will not bottom out with stock length, fully collapsed struts. Not that its a problem, just wondering what others are experiencing with a low stance and hard cornering. Any need for additional travel?
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

I am curious about the block(shave)and the R&P hitting it?
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Yes, I cut a small piece of webbing from the block to clear the rack. And right now the rack isnt centered. its about an inch too far to the pass side. When making the mounts for it, I centered the rack so that and equal amount was exposed from the case on each side. Well it turns out that that is not center.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I love that color, please don't change it. I considered a color like that for my project.
Do you have any dimensions of that Celica rack, I'd like to compare it to the MR2 rack that I'm using.