L series external oil pump pick up.

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Byron510

L series external oil pump pick up.

Post by Byron510 »

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a source for the external pick up oil pump top stage these days?

Does anyone still manufacture this part? There was some talk on the Church of L, but me and Facebook don’t get along...

Any leads would be great.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_5736.jpg
IMG_5736.jpg (111.1 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
IMG_5735.jpg
IMG_5735.jpg (100.56 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
IMG_5734.jpg
IMG_5734.jpg (199.75 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
IMG_5733.jpg
IMG_5733.jpg (198.43 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
IMG_5732.jpg
IMG_5732.jpg (194.51 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
IMG_5730.jpg
IMG_5730.jpg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: L series external oil pump pick up.

Post by datzenmike »

Byron is this a pump base that when it reaches maximum pressure sends oil dumped out the pressure relief valve to an oil cooler? From the oil cooler back into the oil pan. I talked with someone who by his description was doing this but he didn't describe a modified pump cover... it makes more sense now.

The pump would normally send the relief valve oil right back to the pump inlet but here it looks like it goes to the cooler?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Mike - No, this is an external pick up and feed adapter that replaces the top cover of a standard L series oil pump. The standard pressure relief valve can be seen still in place in the photos above and does the same job as a standard pump.

Many race cars used these because the Nissan pumps are well built, compact and more than capable. The internal oil pick up and feed galleries in the block are the restriction areas - this attachment easily allowed more oil flow.

I’m unsure who manufactured the one shown, also unsure if there were multiple manufacturers.
Additionally I don’t know if this was a Nissan Comp part, of just available through select race shops. Really it’s before my time. Guys like Andy at Specialty Engineering have welded ones together, but I do like the engineering in this unit shown.

Anyone have any ideas?

Byron.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

That one in your pictures almost looks like it was welded then [drilled/tapped] & [die-grinder'd/shaped] to look that way.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I remember someone hawking one with BRE in the casting recently on FB. So maybe Datsun Comp availability later on?
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Was that a BRE remote oil filter adapter, or an oil pump cover plate?
Attachments
Datsun BRE Remote Oil Filter Adapter.jpg
Datsun BRE Remote Oil Filter Adapter.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Could have sworn it was the adapter, but I could be wrong.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Byron, the blue and red fittings.... where is the external oil coming from if not the oil pan? and where is the oil going if not the oil gallery in the block.???

I get 25-30 PSI when cranking the engine for a start. At 2,500 it's maxed out at 55-60 so how can you get, or need more oil through it?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

-12 line runs from the external pickup in the pan to the pump adapter and -10 line runs from the pump adapter to remote oil filter/ cooler/ and back into engine.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I can't see an L series pump needing more oil. They easily reach their max pressure and an ocean of external oil isn't going to make it produce more.
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

Race car only part. No need on street car. We ran one on our GT-4 car years ago. Also referred as a poor mans dry sump back in the day. Eliminates the tight bends in the engine to and from the pump.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That is exactly the function, line pressure loss due to too many bends and elbows.

Flow VOLUME is what is important also. I have watched Andy at Specialty, even on my "adapter" block, port and polish the pump ports and passages.

It all helps at high RPM. I have the higher volume oil pump on my car and even with that, had to shim the pump to regain lost pressure due to the spray bar and turbo feed lines, which are like a large oil leak if you will.

Yah, for the street not an issue but for a higher output motor turning high RPM sustained use, lesser restrictions are just plain good.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My point is, 60 PSI is 60 PSI even shimmed, and adding additional oil supply won't change anything. An engine at 60 PSI and 8K will bleed oil past the bearings and jets at the same rate as at 2K. After all the jets and spray bar holes and bearing clearances don't get larger with RPMs. Safe to say that any L oil pump will max out the pressure by 2-3K so how does additional oil help?

In addition there are 2 lines. If one is an extra supply what's the other one for? It's on the pressure side so where does it go? The block is already pressurized.

Got to figure if someone made this then it has to serve a purpose and be an improvement over something else.

The only way this thing makes sense is if you plug the oil pump inlet and outlet to the timing cover and forget the internal oil line and get rid of the oil pick up tube and screen in the pan. The single blue fitting is on the inlet suction side of the pump, probably a hose to a fitting on the bottom side of the oil pan surrounded by baffles. The red fitting is the pressure side and goes to the oil cooler? then to the remote filter(s) then back to a single inlet oil filter adapter to get the oil back into the block.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Mike, your summery is exactly why and how you would use an external pick up.

For racing applications, this was done for better oil supply on motors requiring more oil (external spray bars, turbo, significantly additional plumbing like remote coolers and filter block etc.)

My interest is quite different. There’s a possible project to go - front sump. And to be honest, external pick up would solve the front sump pick up issue when building a pan. It also helps in designing a simpler windage tray and other bits.

As I already have a remote filter block and oil cooler, these items won’t need to be added.

As it’s always easier to use a part that’s available over building a part, I’d hoped that someone out there would know of someone that has manufactured this external pick up pump adapter, or where one might be available.

Thanks guys.
Byron
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My mistake earlier. I thought this was in addition to the stock set up. That would certainly shorten the run from the pan and the right angles through the timing cover..