fuel return line questions

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
slowerthantime
Supporter

fuel return line questions

Post by slowerthantime »

I am about to install fuel lines. My planned set up to feed the L20B is stock fuel tank, inline filter, Carter 4070 pump, Holley fuel pressure regulator to 2 x DCOE 45s. Fuel lines 3/8 copper/nickel line. I was going to install and cap off a return line for possible future use but after reading through a bunch of posts, it seems there is merit in running a fuel return line with this set up (vapour lock, fuel pump load/ temps etc).

Is it worth running the return line?

I assume the return line would need some restriction to maintain line pressure? If so, what size should I use?

Cheers!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: fuel return line questions

Post by bertvorgon »

Funny, I was reading through my log book yesterday and noted my restriction in my return line. Many years ago I re-checked the "pill" size which is up in the trunk, right before the fuel drops back into the tank, on my return line.

So.... .035" is the size I use on my Weber.

I would try that,watch that the fuel pressure stays ok and go from there.

The return line does help with vapour lock and makes sure there is always some flow so the pump does not dead head.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

Thanks Keith.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I'm thinking that in late spring, on a nice clear break in the weather, with my NEW headlights in, that one of my first drives will be up to see your car. The Hope Princeton is a blast when there is no traffic, I had such a good run when I went to the Peach Festival car show.

I have a few customers that were mine that live in Summerland.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
slowerthantime
Supporter

Post by slowerthantime »

The bbq will be ready.

I can't find much for an off the shelf in-line restrictor. The Sea-Doo guys seem to use a barbed connector with one end tapped to accept a Mikuni jet.

There is a Cobra guy who makes an aftermarket return kine kit. He makes a restrictor by tapping an AN fitting to hold a set screw that has a suitable hole drilled in it.

Then there are oil restrictors for turbo applications

Out of this lot, I'm leaning to the AN/ set screw set up for ease of changing restrictor sizes when setting the system up. Does anyone have other options?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I just took a simple double barb fitting, soldered one end...WHAMMO...restrictor pill. It was quick and dirty at the time.

That "pill" has been in use since I perfected my fuel system back in the 70's, thanks to Ak Millar in California.
Attachments
brass fitting.JPG
brass fitting.JPG (13.75 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

Keith Law
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Could even use a needle valve to tweek the orfice in real time to get the pressure just right.

These are pretty affordable. https://www.mcmaster.com/needle-valves
Even have locking handles to keep your final setting.