Where is this leaking from?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Button

Where is this leaking from?

Post by Button »

Hey guys, after 5 years I finally got my 510 running and driveable. I should have it registered and insured tomorrow. Anyways, when I jack up the front end (so the front tires are ~1 foot off the ground) I get what appears to be a little coolant leaking from the back of the engine down the tranny connector plate. It doesn't leak when the car is flat. Any ideas why this is doing this?

Thanks.

Chris
Attachments
Update_Front_01.JPG
Update_Front_01.JPG (125.89 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Button

Re: Where is this leaking from?

Post by Button »

For some reason the other photos didn't post. Trying again.
Attachments
Leaking_02.JPG
Leaking_02.JPG (216.76 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Button

Post by Button »

For some reason it's only attaching one image at a time.
Attachments
Update_Side_01.JPG
Update_Side_01.JPG (158.38 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Maybe just condensation. Taste it. Ethylene glycol has a sweet taste.

Look at the back of the head where it sits on top of the block. Use a flashlight and mirror. See anything?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Button

Post by Button »

Thanks Mike, sorry Mike I should have been more clear, but when the car is jacked up it will leave a puddle of ~ 3 oz. on the ground after being in that position for a few hours so I don't think its condensation. It is greenish like coolant. Any ideas?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Check all the frost plugs if you can, possibly one was not sealed properly if it turns out to be coolant.

In the picture you can see the frost plug at the back of the motor, seen that before.
Attachments
engine block.JPG
engine block.JPG (36.85 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Button

Post by Button »

Thank you, that is what I was fearing. Based on who put the engine together I wouldn't be surprised if that is leaking. Sometime you do get what you pay for - lesson learned there. Since it only leaks when the car is at a pretty steep angle I guess I will live with it for now since the engine is installed. Anyone see an issue with leaving for now as long as I monitor the coolant level?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You MIGHT get away with some rad sealant for short term use. When the engine comes out next you do a good flush of the cooling system.

Are you sure the rad level is up? Silly question but maybe it is the water level in the block would maybe be low!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Button

Post by Button »

I just checked and the fluid is a little low, I will top it off. The radiator sealant is not a bad idea, I will look in to that. Radiator fluid has been my nemesis, when I first got the car running i had a leak at the heater that ruined my carpet.

Also Bert a few years ago you gave me good advice to run a hobbs oil pressure switch for emergency loss of oil pressure and I love having that light in there in addition to the oil pressure gauge. Good peace of mind. I appreciate all of the help.

Chris
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Nice looking Datto, and nice Nova wagon! I have a 66 hard top. Putting stop leak in the cooling system is not the best idea as it plugs up small passages in the cooling system at the same time. Get someone to pressure test the cooling system and use a mirror to make sure it is not leaking from somewhere easier to fix (hose, fitting etc.) coolant can spray/leak in weird ways sometimes. Best to confirm where it is leaking from before tearing into it. If it is leaking from inside the bell housing I would pull the trans as that is less work (not like pulling the engine is alot of work).
Button

Post by Button »

Good eye realizing that was a Nova. I love the 66 body style as well. Good points, I will get out the mirror and spend some more time looking for the cause of the leak.

thank you
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If there is a leak, the coolant level will drop over time till it's below the hole. Then when you raise the front, it drips out. It might even run down along something to get where you see it.

If you place some cardboard under the engine, top up the rad fully and run the engine at idle you'll probably find it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs