vw rad with L20

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
dodgydan
Supporter

vw rad with L20

Post by dodgydan »

hay all you guys running a L series engine with the (use to be common swap) vw rabbit radiator. what are you using for a lower hose?
its not the having. its the doing...
Chadsinto510s

Re: vw rad with L20

Post by Chadsinto510s »

Universal flex hose. Unfortunately. I don't 'think' there is one that's not universal that will fit. I could be wrong.
---Yeah, I said what I said.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I use the universal hose with no problem, but, if it has that wire inside as support, keep an eye on it as they do corrode over time.
Attachments
universal flex hose
universal flex hose
IMGP9214 (Large).jpeg (389.95 KiB) Viewed 3260 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Chadsinto510s

Post by Chadsinto510s »

bertvorgon wrote: 10 Jan 2019 09:02 I use the universal hose with no problem, but, if it has that wire inside as support, keep an eye on it as they do corrode over time.
I have for years as well. I just like the aesthetics of a fitted hose better.
---Yeah, I said what I said.
JasonLee
Supporter

Post by JasonLee »

I try to delete the universal hose wherever possible, and am in the process of doing just that with my KA24 and VW rad. I start by bending up a coat hanger to approximate the shape and length of the existing flex hose, while also making a note of each end diameter. Then off to the parts store to request access to the back room to inspect the rad hose wall. Within 15 minutes I usually find a decent candidate, which is typically longer than I require, but the shape I need is incorporated into the hose. Take it home, trim it to fit, and you are left with an end result that looks factory.
Jason
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

JasonLee wrote: 11 Jan 2019 14:21 I try to delete the universal hose wherever possible, and am in the process of doing just that with my KA24 and VW rad. I start by bending up a coat hanger to approximate the shape and length of the existing flex hose, while also making a note of each end diameter. Then off to the parts store to request access to the back room to inspect the rad hose wall. Within 15 minutes I usually find a decent candidate, which is typically longer than I require, but the shape I need is incorporated into the hose. Take it home, trim it to fit, and you are left with an end result that looks factory.
That's exactly what I just did. Although they didn't give me access to the back store. They handed me the hose catalog sorted by hose sizes and shape with general dimensions. I found a couple of prospects, they brought them to the counter and I picked what worked the best. Went back home and it was a perfect factory looking fit.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I actually did that with my upper hose, went to Lordco and asked if I could just cruise the rack and find something with the right bends, found one, trimmed it, looks factory.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

thanks guys. thats what i was planning to do. i was just hoping that as this use to be a common swap, someone might of found the perfect hose and recorded the part#. can't blame a guy for trying
its not the having. its the doing...
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

While sitting here at the Edmonton airport this morning, I searched in vein for the rad hose part numbers. Closest I could find is a 2005 post just mentioning the swap;

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... ose#p30758

I wonder if I used a stock 510 hose?

I’ll keep looking, but I know I documented this years ago when the VW rad swaps were common.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.