Stuck clutch

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Byron510

Stuck clutch

Post by Byron510 »

Ok, throwing this out there in case someone has some ideas.

I parked the my 82 ZXT outside for 4 months (Feb-May) as I had no room in the shop. When I went to drive it back in the shop in June, the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel.

Short of pulling the trans, is there some cheater trick you guys have used to separate the disc from the flywheel? I assume they rusted together.
I tried starting it in gear on the brake - no go. I can’t drive it yet as I haven’t for insurance. Hydraulics are working, the clutch slave works perfectly.

Just being lazy, really. But it it save a days worth of effort of pulling this T5...have you heard of any tricks to separate these?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Stuck clutch

Post by datzenmike »

Place in 4th gear, e-brake on, brake on and wheels chocked so it cannot move.
Depress the clutch pedal. This will un-clamp the disc even though it may be stuck to the flywheel or PP... or both.
Use the starter to bump the flywheel and attached PP against the clutch disc which is locked to the immobile vehicle.

The starter has immense torque and gearing on it's side and several clicks should twist it loose...I hope. The clutch can handle 150 hp so it should handle a little rust.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

the clutch got stuck on my 74 f350, tried the starter bump,no go. so I tied the truck to a 8000lb toyota forklift with with 5ft of slack. started in gear, foot on clutch, took a couple runs to break it free.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Tried bumping the starter against the brakes - no go yet.

I don't have the hand brake set up yet, but will give that a shot when I get a chance to do so. Brakes are all new, so no worries there. Usually the starter does the trick, I'd agree. But not this time.

I did do this in 1st gear as I felt it would apply more torque, but I'll try a higher gear just in case it helps. The car did lurch forward, so maybe a higher gear would work.

I was hoping there was another solution.

Thanks for the input guys.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.