CV axles. Adapters are dumb. Gotta be a better way

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
icehouse

CV axles. Adapters are dumb. Gotta be a better way

Post by icehouse »

So I'd like to share my idea. Maybe someone has done it before. Seems most good ideas aren't new. So here is what I had in mine. First picture. Nissan 4X4 stub axle out of an R180 which will also fit a R160. On top is a VW CV axle, a type 2 or whatever comes on these kits we install into our 510's. The CV fits into a counter bore but is a little to small. So I googled the 930 CV diameter, it's 108mm about 1.5mm to big. No problem. I expected some machine work. The second picture is a 280zx companion flange (think that's what they are called?) it fits the splines on the 510 stub axle. It has the same size counter bore. So if the bore was enlarged and a 6 hole pattern was added the 930 axles would bolt on without using a stupid aluminum adapter that comes loose all the time. Also I can fit the proper German joints. Not the garbage Empi joints which are manufactured with slop for off roading. I don't need the articulation.

Yes I am aware of the welding options, I've seen them and will admit its better then the aluminum adapter. I think this idea is even better.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: CV axles. Adapters are dumb. Gotta be a better way

Post by Three B's Racing »

icehouse wrote:So I'd like to share my idea. Maybe someone has done it before. Seems most good ideas aren't new. So here is what I had in mine. First picture. Nissan 4X4 stub axle out of an R180 which will also fit a R160. On top is a VW CV axle, a type 2 or whatever comes on these kits we install into our 510's. The CV fits into a counter bore but is a little to small. So I googled the 930 CV diameter, it's 108mm about 1.5mm to big. No problem. I expected some machine work. The second picture is a 280zx companion flange (think that's what they are called?) it fits the splines on the 510 stub axle. It has the same size counter bore. So if the bore was enlarged and a 6 hole pattern was added the 930 axles would bolt on without using a stupid aluminum adapter that comes loose all the time. Also I can fit the proper German joints. Not the garbage Empi joints which are manufactured with slop for off roading. I don't need the articulation.

Yes I am aware of the welding options, I've seen them and will admit its better then the aluminum adapter. I think this idea is even better.

You said "stupid aluminum adapter that comes loose all the time" Really? mine never came loose. Granted I used locktite, serrated washers and safety wired them but when I had to replace a CV and after removing the safety wire those allen head cap screws were still holding torque after 2.5 years of use.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I'm sure there are guys who haven't had an issues. I find that driving a 510 daily vs. fair weather really impacts the wear on parts. I drive my 510 every day, autox it up to 3 times in one month, each autox I do about 20 laps. I run the R888r's on it daily and drive it like I stole it, clutch kicks aren't uncommon I learned that from my YZ250 spinning up the R's can help sometimes. I've ruined 2 stock axles and a driveline in this car. The stock axle never came loose the u-joints just failed. I also torqued and locited the bolts.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
HKS

Post by HKS »

Curious which vehicle/model and year Toyota stub axles you sourced in the image?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

icehouse wrote:I'm sure there are guys who haven't had an issues. I find that driving a 510 daily vs. fair weather really impacts the wear on parts. I drive my 510 every day, autox it up to 3 times in one month, each autox I do about 20 laps. I run the R888r's on it daily and drive it like I stole it, clutch kicks aren't uncommon I learned that from my YZ250 spinning up the R's can help sometimes. I've ruined 2 stock axles and a driveline in this car. The stock axle never came loose the u-joints just failed. I also torqued and locited the bolts.
I drive my 510 from April to Mid November as often as I can and I don't abuse my 510 like I stole it as I don't see the point, well, once in a while I do 8>) Maybe you should safety wire the cap screws plus you know, in the install directions from what I've heard it does state their not for drag racing and with aluminum adapters, I can see the reason.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon