Acccusump info?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Yellowcar

Acccusump info?

Post by Yellowcar »

I am ready to order the Accusump for my car and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them cuz I have a few questions.

1. Canton or Moroso? anyone know the difference and which one is better?
from what I have read so far it sounds like the moroso ones only have screw on ends on their "high pressure" model and I guess the Cantons have screw on ends on all? is this accurate? any other differences?

2. Mounting: I am planning to mount it in the trunk and run -10 braided steel line (To be SCCA compliant) to the engine any reason not to do this?

3.Valves: I think I am going to get the epc valve for two reasons, one I won't forget to shut the valve and overflow the oil pan two I like the idea of having the Reservoir only refill when the oil pressure is up a bit and also having the oil only dump when the pressure drops to a certain point. (leaving form oil to use when the pressure is low)

Anything else I need to know to install this correctly or tips to make it work better?

One thing I am thinking of doing too is putting a pressure switch W/light between the accusump and the valve. That will give me a warning that there is a problem before the accusump is empty. I think any way..

THX
510rob

Re: Acccusump info?

Post by 510rob »

I am ready to order the Accusump for my car and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them cuz I have a few questions.

1. Canton or Moroso? anyone know the difference and which one is better?
from what I have read so far it sounds like the moroso ones only have screw on ends on their "high pressure" model and I guess the Cantons have screw on ends on all? is this accurate? any other differences?

The design of the basic/original Moroso ones uses a tube with recessed endplates located by internal retaining rings.
The design of the Mecca/Accusump/Moroso "Heavy Duty" ones seems to be threaded endplates.
I don't imagine the guts of any of them are much different - a simple sliding/floating "piston" with o-ring(s)...

2. Mounting: I am planning to mount it in the trunk and run -10 braided steel line (To be SCCA compliant) to the engine any reason not to do this?
Hot oil lines running through the car? Where would you mount the solenoid valve - up front, or way out back?

3.Valves: I think I am going to get the epc valve for two reasons, one I won't forget to shut the valve and overflow the oil pan two I like the idea of having the Reservoir only refill when the oil pressure is up a bit and also having the oil only dump when the pressure drops to a certain point. (leaving form oil to use when the pressure is low)
I've only ever seen them with manually-operated WOG valves, but I might put a solenoid valve on mine one day (still on the the never-never plan at the moment)

Anything else I need to know to install this correctly or tips to make it work better?

One thing I am thinking of doing too is putting a pressure switch W/light between the accusump and the valve. That will give me a warning that there is a problem before the accusump is empty. I think any way..
or, watch out for a 3 qt. lake of oil?
I suppose if you attach a Hobbes switch + warning light to the main oil gallery, and a second one to the Accusump I/O hose, you could have a prolonged heart attack between the first light going on and the second one signalling "all gone!"

Ultimately, I think the choice is a matter of logos. I know of several street and track cars that have used both brands without incident. For what this is worth, the Moroso unit comes with a WOG valve installed, so if you plan to install a DC solenoid valve, that part may seem redundant, but it is still nice to have a valve on the bottle when you do an oil change on the engine/car...

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7054
Yellowcar

Re: Acccusump info?

Post by Yellowcar »

Mounting: I am planning to mount it in the trunk and run -10 braided steel line (To be SCCA compliant) to the engine any reason not to do this?
Hot oil lines running through the car? Where would you mount the solenoid valve - up front, or way out back?
I was thinking out back
Ultimately, I think the choice is a matter of logos.
and color :lol:

The idea with the pressure switch and light is (I think) that you wouldn't see any oil warning light when the oil problem started if the accusump is doing its job since you wouldn't lose any presseure until the accusump ran out of oil.
so, if you had a light that indicated the accusump was under its set pressure (if you have the epg valve) then you could tell that you were running on the accusump