New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
mesojdm

Re: New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

Post by mesojdm »

No, I dont have a crystal ball.. I was up at james and he showed me a customers car(yours). I rememeber him telling me the customer had the cage done by DGR(very nice I admit) and I put 2 and 2 together when you said evo recaro seats. Gonna look sweet after paint...james does very nice work(Y).
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

remember Byron when i bugged you about your front stays?
Glad we read the rulebook and corrected ourselves.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Thanks for the advise Byron and like you said, good timing. Once its painted, I'm not changing a thing. I requested a rules book from Targa, but it hasn't showed yet. My brother and I really want to enter, but not sure if it will be my car or maybe something more purpose built that if I total, I wont commit suicide.
Meso, James is on of the nicest 510 guys I have ever met and I cant wait to see the finished product!
Where did you get your CV axles?
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

These are the wolf creek cvs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-D ... enameZWD1V

He has a link to a pdf on his site here (warning, crappiest site on the internet):

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/classified.htm
I'm your huckleberry.
phatdat510

Post by phatdat510 »

Old 510 Ballz, I just joined the Realm and was reading about your project. In your article you said that you had a rack and pinion conversion put in by DGR that was in your words "The worst decision I've made in my life." You also went on to say that was in your opinion "unsafe." I am very curious and concerned as to what exactly what you mean by this , since I also run the same setup. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Here are some of the engine before the mod pics.
Attachments
Datsun 510 project 032 smaller size.JPG
Datsun 510 project 030 smaller size.JPG
Datsun 510 project 029 Smaller size.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Here is the engine after the Greddy intake, Tomei exhaust manifold and Nissmo injectors. I chose the intake and manifold after doing some web research and found they "supposedly" give it a more linear power band. The injectors were from Jim Wolfs reference.
Attachments
Datsun 510 project 123 smaller size.JPG
Datsun 510 project 122smaller size.JPG
Datsun 510 project 121 smaller size.JPG
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

mesojdm wrote:No, I dont have a crystal ball...
:shock: WTF :?: for his b-day? 8) so was i.
the flat black project in his garage(not the shop) VERY nice. everyone was gawking :mrgreen:

im figuring out how to get my wagon up there for paint too.
ive seen 7/8 that hes done.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

phatdat510 wrote:Old 510 Ballz, I just joined the Realm and was reading about your project. In your article you said that you had a rack and pinion conversion put in by DGR that was in your words "The worst decision I've made in my life." You also went on to say that was in your opinion "unsafe." I am very curious and concerned as to what exactly what you mean by this , since I also run the same setup. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm also curious, I think I may have seen pictures of it already. Is this it?

It looks fine to me, You have to remember it bolts to sheet metal, How strong does it have to be?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

I was speaking of the swap as a whole.The rack turned out nice for what I can see, but have'nt tested it yet. The unsafe part, was the one bolt holding the tranny in :shock: . Once I found that, I had to check every nut and bolt holding the car together. As you can see from the pics, DGR does great fabrication work, but the swap wasn't a good experience for me. I'm just voicing my opinion, and I'm not going to go over every detail. I just wanted to show the re-building process of the car.
fryanbacon

Post by fryanbacon »

old510ballz wrote:Here are some of the engine before the mod pics.
hey man. i hope you don't mind my butting in, but did you go rack and pinion on the steering or does your turbo setup actually clear the steering box?
thanks
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

fryanbacon wrote:
old510ballz wrote:Here are some of the engine before the mod pics.
hey man. i hope you don't mind my butting in, but did you go rack and pinion on the steering or does your turbo setup actually clear the steering box?
thanks
Look two posts up ;)
I'm your huckleberry.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Been awhile, so I thought I would post a few pictures. I'm currently waiting for the shell to get back from the painter and the powder coater to finish up all the parts I dropped off. I have to move in three months because the house I'm renting is getting foreclosed!! I have my fingers crossed I get the car back soon. When I do, there's going to be some long nights thrashing to get it drivable. It will be hell trying to move all the parts one by one :(
Attachments
Here are the TSR Brembo brakes. Should have good stopping power with litlle to no fade. They are the 16" kit with parking brake.
Here are the TSR Brembo brakes. Should have good stopping power with litlle to no fade. They are the 16" kit with parking brake.
I know there are some folks on this site that know these two pictures oh to well!!!
I know there are some folks on this site that know these two pictures oh to well!!!
realm photo.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

A photo to show the quality swap :(
Attachments
I spent over $12,000 for this DGR turn key swap and the fan is mounted to the radiator with WALMART PLASTIC SCREW CONNECTORS!
I spent over $12,000 for this DGR turn key swap and the fan is mounted to the radiator with WALMART PLASTIC SCREW CONNECTORS!
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Here is the shell on its way to it's happy place. Getting painted at James Johnson's house. :D
Attachments
Cant wait to get it back
Cant wait to get it back