New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
Derek

Re: New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

Post by Derek »

Welcome to the Realm -- a couple of us here (myself and Bob/rwdnissanman) have done Targa NFLD in 510s and will gladly help with event specific advice. Here's a quick one -- you might want to think about not running 16" wheels (as suggested by your brakes), the roads can be quite rough. I was happy to be running 60 series on 14s. Your brakes won't be tested as much as the rest of your car -- it is rare that you late brake on a corner you've never driven before.

Like Byron said you will want to double check the rollcage regulations if you want to be absolutely sure that you're going to be legal for Targa. I went to great efforts to make sure my cage was NASA Rallysport compliant since I intend to do NASA events in the future. That being said, the technical inspections at Targa are kind of a joke, and the fact that you have a multipoint welded cage (assuming all the required tubes are there) is likely enough to get you through that part of without much questioning. There were cars there with basic bolt-in Autopower cages. I personally wouldn't run Targa with only that level of protection as the stakes are very high. Don't let that stop you from running your good car. IMO there is something crucial missing if you're racing in a POS that you don't mind crashing. Plus no one wants to drive an ugly race car, save for roundy-round types.

I have a Targa rules set from last year, so send me your email and I'll send it off to you.

You can check out my cage pics here: http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=165
Built by Impact Engineering in Milpitas -- pricey and slow but great guys and they turned out an awesome product.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Thanks for the insight Derick. My brother James and I have wanted to do a rally together since we were children. I built this car for a semi daily driver and track days at some of the tracks around the U.S. I then got this idea of Targa after watching some footage on T.V., and thought the 510 would be a blast. After Byron gave me the info about the cage it made me think, "do I really want to wrap this car around a tree after all these years of building" (I know its only 3, but feels like 12) . I come from racing two wheels and know what its like to wad things into scrap metal so I started to float back to the real world ever so slightly :D
When my brother and I sat down and watched last years coverage, we were like kids in a candy store. "We have to do this" my brother said, over and over. The first thing we noticed is what you said, the roads are harsh to say the least. Make a long story short, we thought that purchasing a purpose built STI would be much more realistic. Saving are money and burrying it in the back yard for a few years, we might eventually see Bob and yourself out there. Hopefully!
Thanks Derick and Byron for the willingness to help with your insight. It helps a lot of people like myself on this sight.

Hey Derick, living in the Bay Area, do you do any track days at Laguna, Thunderhill or Button Willow? If you do and there is room in the track day let me know and also Targa sent me a PDF of the rules so I have them to look over.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

old510ballz wrote: Hey Derick, living in the Bay Area, do you do any track days at Laguna, Thunderhill or Button Willow? If you do and there is room in the track day let me know and also Targa sent me a PDF of the rules so I have them to look over.
My racing org. VARA, holds their annual racing scholl at Buttonwillow in Feb.. It's definately worth checking out as it is a 2 day event for like $250 and you get more seat time on the track than anywhere else. I did it in my street 510 and it caused me to build my race car. There is lots of instruction, skid pad, slalom, and brave instructors riding shotgun (or driving too, if you like) as you lap Buttowillow. REALLY FUN.http://www.vararacing.com/Overall1.html
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Thanks for the info Defdes. I'll definitely look into it. Sounds like fun for a good price. I enjoy Button Willow for its layout and safe run off.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

You mean The Bog???? Safe???? There is a lot of "area" to run off, but once you're out there, you are on your own! They did just (last year) add more run off on the outside of turn 13 (onto the front straight) which is great.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

I judge safty off of Sears Point (Infinion) which is as hairy as it gets. I used to race GP bikes there and if you come off at the wrong place, your going to play with the barrier :( With four wheels, just get things straight and you should be :D . Cant wait to get the dime out there to give things a go!
Derek

Post by Derek »

old510ballz wrote:Make a long story short, we thought that purchasing a purpose built STI would be much more realistic. Saving are money and burrying it in the back yard for a few years, we might eventually see Bob and yourself out there. Hopefully!
Oh come on, STI rally car? Talk about BORING!! If you're going to do it at all it should be in something awesome and unexpected. The roads are rough, but you don't need AWD. And if you don't think you could be competitive in a 35+ year old Japanese econobox -- check out the finishing order last year :)
http://www.rallyscoring.com/results/200 ... Press0.htm
Hey Derick, living in the Bay Area, do you do any track days at Laguna, Thunderhill or Button Willow?
I've made it to Willow springs (drove Horse Thief Mile) and Laguna Seca. Lapping is pretty fun, but a big part of me wants actual racing so I am putting most of my efforts into hillclimbing this year. I do want to get to Infineon at some point soon, and Thunderhill once it cools off again.

For more info on hillclimbing check out my thread on it: http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 937#p95937

PS which one of you or I do you think is spelling my name wrong? ;)
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Oh come on, STI rally car? Talk about BORING!!
Extremely boring is correct, but fun non the less. The only classic I would drive it in would be a 510 and with the experience Ive had building this car I would'nt do it again, so building a Targa specific car is out.
I grew up in competitive road racing where sponsors and money took the love and passion I had for the sport right out of it, so if I ever get around to Targa it's only for the fun and laughs that I know my brother and I would have.

The hill climbs sound like a blast! I will definitely join you when my car is finished and has been shaken down for any issues. It would bring me back to my younger years of Berkley canyon which I'm guessing you know fairly well. I drove those roads every weekend and not once a ticket (knock on wood) :mrgreen: I live in Chico now, which is thirty minutes from Thunderhill and on your way to Oregon. If you ever need a place for a pit stop my doors are always open. Sierra Nevada Brewery is right down the street for a bonus.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Got all the parts back from the powder the other day. Just waiting to get the shell back from the painter, then its time to assemble. Three and a half years after the project was started!!
Attachments
powder coated parts 003 smaller.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

A warning between the lines, or maybe just facts!
This is a picture of my ball joints WITH ZERO GREASE AND NO FITTINGS that were apart of my DGR Fabrication $12,000+ turn key swap. They are part of their Rack and Pinion set up that they installed on my car.I discovered this today while installing my freshly painted steering linkage. The most unprofessional fab and auto shop I've ever experienced or heard of. I'm glad I tore the car apart for painting, so nothing tragic happened to my car, myself or an innocent bystander. I'm not so glad I ever used DGR Fabrication for anything!!
Attachments
datsun project pics 009 smaller.JPG
datsun project pics 008 smaller.JPG
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Your project is looking great!! just wanted to let you know that I got the Datsport kit and it didn't come with grease in any of the joints also, but I'm glad it didn't, I think it would have gotten all over everything had it been filled with grease....some joints are of the sealed type but a few had fittings, I would think that no company would ship it greased. Now if they installed it that way....I would be pissed too!! keep the pics coming, it's fun to watch someone else's way of building!! Thanks, Rich
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Yeah shipping from Aus is one thing, a $12,000+ turn key swap is another. I post this stuff as a warning to others that are thinking of using DGR for a reason. That side of this project (DGR side) has been a nightmare. I would hate to see others go through the same thing as I. Like I said, I'm glad I tore the car apart and found this stuff now, instead of hitting a wall at Laguna or worse causing harm to someone in the streets.
My worries all started when towing the car home with a dolly from San Jose to Chico. I stopped for a soda at the local fast food joint on 80, and when I was walking back to the car I noticed a huge puddle of gear oil under my brand new R200 :evil: You would think someone in an automotive fabrication shop would have the sense to seal the diff cover (or maybe they just don't give a shit :idea: ). Needless to say I spent an hour next to the red hot R200 (that I have no idea if there is any damage to), wedging the half shafts out, after borrowing some 9/16 wrenches from a man that I then mailed them back to because he couldnt wait.
Rich, I could honestly write a book about my experience with DGR, and none of it would be good. I'm actually thinking of selling the rack and pinion and going with someone that I know does good work and has a great reputation, Datsport. I just don't feel safe with any thing that DGR had their hands on!
I almost gave up the project, so thanks for the encouragement. I'll have pics of a newly, completely sandblasted and sealed, freshly painted shell in a few weeks. Cant wait to get started on the re-assembly.
Cheers
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Damn....that sucks...I would have been furious had I just spent that much money. It's hard not to give up when things turn out bad during your project......specially when you have spent so much money and have really just went backwards. It's also hard to know who to trust...I have noticed that some of these so called experts are really just full of shit. I have actually talked to a few and while asking questions got the impression that they didn't know half as much as me and I am fairly new to this. I think that it's mainly because they want to push what they are selling and they talk like there is no other way, or no other product that will work, when there is really many ways things can be done and still perform....now one of these guys actually claims to race cars....and build them, I can't wait to one day visit the shops of some of these guys and see what's going on...... I guess I too have high expectations of a company or product when i pay good money for it. Customer service in the states simply sucks, there are a few companies that do go the extra mile for you, but not many.....and there are some really great builders in the 510 world also....but most are so expensive I can't afford to leave my car there....so I did most of the work myself, noone else to blame right?? but there were kits or parts that I bought from people that just sucked....the datsport kit was nice, no dought, one of the best, but the coilover kit I got kind of sucks...the rears rattle due to the design....nothing I can do....so that to me was wasted money,...maybe if you put them on a race only car it ok for it to rattle while racing??? but i don't race so I want a quiet but performance driven suspension setup. I am sorry to babble about aimlessly on your thread but i know what you mean and I understand what you are doing by telling everyone....because it sucks to waste hard earned money on stupid shit when gas costs 4 bucks a gallon!!
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Goichi1, I agree on everything you had to say and thanks for the insight. If I was to do it all over again, I would have signed up for the realm and asked many many questions. Experience is priceless and there are many nice people on this site that are willing to share it in a realistic manner. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it can save you a bunch of stress and money.
P.S. The reason I started this post was to communicate with people that have the same interest as myself, which is the 510/Bluebird, so to me there's no such thing as rambling.

Now A few pics of the new paint :D
Attachments
firstpaint 2 pics.jpg
firstpaint 2 pics.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
first paint pics 4.jpg
first paint pics 4.jpg (7.46 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
first paint pic 3.jpg
first paint pic 3.jpg (7.75 KiB) Viewed 5225 times
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

A couple more. The Rotisserie is a very cool invention. James sand blasted the entire (almost entire) car then sealed the floor pan on both sides. Now he's on his way to putting some life to the bare metal. I'm a fan of old school color's so I chose a VW light blue. I had him shoot several different silver's and the avocado light stock 510 green and I ended up going light blue. My favorite dime I owned 15 years ago was very similar in color, so I guess I was partially influenced. Cant wait to get it back in the garage so I can get to work.
Attachments
first paint pics 5.jpg
first paint pics 5.jpg (9.51 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
firstpaint pics.jpg
firstpaint pics.jpg (9.28 KiB) Viewed 5227 times