New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
mesojdm

Re: New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

Post by mesojdm »

ooOOoo clean...as expected with a james johnson paint job! Seems like just the other day i was up there and saw it stipped to metal lol. Time for the reassembly fun to begin!!!(and headaches!)
brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord »

It would be a blast if a bunch of folks from the realm could do a track day or hill climb. Laguna is the only track I haven't ridden on, so I'd love to try and organize something there. Only problem is that I'm still a ways off of being ready, so I think it will have to be next year, and yes Sierra makes me :mrgreen: I go to the brewery every Friday for a fresh one straight from the tap :lol:
Absolutely. A day at the track and social meet/bbq would be awesome. I was at Laguna yesterday for nostalgics and Ferrari's. That track is rad. I have never run on a real track like that, but I most certainly want too. I am guessing I am about a year off as well.

And I'm jealous about the fresh Sierra :wink:
The510

Post by The510 »

looks great!!! cant wait to see it done !!
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Sierra from the brewery? I'm guessing you live in Chico, and if you do I would love to come by and check out your car sometime when I'm back in school.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Beautiful. I really love the color. I was Thiiiiiis close to doing the same color. You're doing a great job, it'll be a great car when your done.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

mesojdm wrote:Seems like just the other day i was up there and saw it stipped to metal.
:lol: yep :!:

looks even better in your garage! 8)

:?: how come you didnt let him convince you to shave the license plate light holes?
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

I was at Laguna yesterday for nostalgics and Ferrari's. That track is rad. I have never run on a real track like that, but I most certainly want too. I am guessing I am about a year off as well.
Yeah, Laguna is incredible! My girlfriend and her family have been going there for 20 some odd years. I hope some day we can organize something. Keep in touch.

The510
looks great!!! cant wait to see it done !!

Thanks for the compliments and I cant wait either :D

Duke
Sierra from the brewery? I'm guessing you live in Chico, and if you do I would love to come by and check out your car sometime when I'm back in school.
Oh Yeah, Sierra from the birth pipes. P.M. me about checking out the car. Your more than welcome, although there isnt much to see yet. YET :mrgreen:

S15
Beautiful. I really love the color. I was Thiiiiiis close to doing the same color. You're doing a great job, it'll be a great car when your done.
The color turned out wonderful. Like I said earlier in the thread, it was scary to wait for the car to be painted, to find out what it really was going to look like. It's just what I wanted :D
Its funny you almost chose this color, because the pepper white you chose was on my list of possibilities.Isnt there a saying "Brilliant minds think alike" :roll: By the way, I really enjoyed your thread. I appreciated all the detailed photos and explanations. Thats why I love this sight, their are people like yourself that are willing to share. Your car turned out beautiful! The start up video was great. I would like to do the same.
how come you didnt let him convince you to shave the license plate light holes?
Shaving is for girls from the eyebrows down :mrgreen:
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Not much to report, but I have made a little progress with the front end. I keep running into the same problem, I go to put something together and find that the old part is out dated, rusty and sure as hell doesnt match the beautiful new paint. Then I have to have it powder coated or when its an old bolt I have to go down to the local Yee Haa (I live in Chico which is a farm/college town) fastener shop and try to find metric supplies. Not easy!

P.S. Holy Sh :shock: t it's nerve racking working around a shiny new dime :shock:
Attachments
Rack and pinion cross member. Have not yet tested it out. Hopefully its better than the absolute crap DGR has done so far
Rack and pinion cross member. Have not yet tested it out. Hopefully its better than the absolute crap DGR has done so far
Day 2 006 small.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Its almost more interesting to look at all the weird stuff in the back ground in peoples garages like mine. I'm working in a very small spot, that I pray nothing falls off the shelfs on the car. :shock:

Here are a couple more pics of the front end progress. Everything is freshly powder coated, I replaced the oem tension rods with Techno Toy Tuning pieces, the LCA's have new energy suspension bushings, the coilovers are Troy ermish and camber plates are DP racing caster plates. I wouldnt go with the caster plates if I knew DGR was going to wear dark sun glasses in a dark room and have at it with a hack saw. They took way to much material out. Total hack job! Once you cut the body apart there is no turning back. Live and learn.
Attachments
Day 1 small.JPG
Day 2 016 small.JPG
Day 2 012 small.JPG
mesojdm

Post by mesojdm »

damn nice job! good detail. I didnt know your in chico!...party town! I have a bunch of friends up there, (i live in Yuba City) we should get a norcal dime meet goin.
boraborabora

Post by boraborabora »

very nice cage. Did a similar build in my '84 vw rabbit! very strong and reliable in a wreck! hahaha i'll definitely be following this build and thanks for the pictures! keep posting!
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

I see you went with the extra long studs on the hubs also. They sure help with wheel selection.

Very, very ,nice build....any new updates ?

When started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with my project I could not sleep. 8)
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Pics of progress. Got the DGR rack put in for the most part (dont need to explain how I feel about this company. STAY AWAY if you can). I will give a report on it once I put some miles down.
Attachments
Suspension and brakes 025.JPG
Suspension and brakes 023.JPG
Suspension and brakes 019.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Pics of the Rear end progress. A little repeat break down of what I'm running for those that skip the writing and jump straight to the pics. Datsport V4 ARC and mustache bar (well made killer product with great customer service . The R200 fit perfect), R200 diff with 3.7 gears and stock RCA's with new wheel bearings powder coated 60% gloss black. I'm running Ermish coilovers with #250 springs (seem like a good product, but they're untested so I cant give an opinion and report yet). The springs might be a little stiff for the street, but they'll pay off at Laguna :lol:

Does anyone have any advice on how far to tighten down the diff and ARC mount bushings nuts??
The bushings start to compress and I'm not sure how far I should tighten the mounting nuts.
Attachments
Suspension and brakes 002.JPG
Suspension and brakes 003.JPG
Suspension and brakes 004.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

A couple pics of the RCA's. I powder coated them like the rest of the stuff with 60% gloss black. I'm running Ermish coilovers with 250 lb springs (they're untested, so I'm yet to give an opinion and report). Springs might be a little stiff for the street, but will hopefully pay off at Laguna!!
Look at the pass side that I installed upside down. Oops :oops: I'll blame it on the late night thrashing and small dark garage :lol:
Attachments
Suspension and brakes 014.JPG
Day 1.jpg
Oooooops!
Oooooops!
Suspension and brakes 008.JPG (27.29 KiB) Viewed 4743 times