New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
nickledimeme
Supporter

Re: New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

Post by nickledimeme »

Oh yeeeaa.......you painted your car the color I have been eyeballing these days. This is gonna be flipping cool when she is done. It is similar to the factory baby blue color but a little more flat. Nice and original looking, very good choice.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

OMG!!!!! My most favorite color on the dime ever!!!! You bastard:) Looks like an amazing paint job!! I know you are absolutely ecstatic. I know I am :mrgreen:
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Nothing to update on the car, but I got sick of borrowing my girlfriends camera so I bought my own. Have no idea what I'm doing, but I thought this shot was cool. The dam memory card that comes with the camera only allows 5 pictures. Must buy new card.
Attachments
Turbo wheel (smaller).JPG
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^How come your car pics didn't come up that big, when I click on the they stay the same thumbnail size (I click "view image" etc.)
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I know right..... I am still waiting on high res images of this car. I am in love with the color!!
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Sorry Guys, those thumb nail pictures were emailed to me from the guy thats painting my car. The pic of the turbo wheel is with my new camera. The car will be completely done in a few weeks, and I will post plenty of pictures. I think the color is going to turn out really nice. The cage and wheels are going to be a dark grey/silver. I believe they will have a great contrast. Very soooooon the car will have life :lol:
johnnygalt

Post by johnnygalt »

Byron510 wrote:Project looks good, feels good to see your project taking shape doesn't it!
I look forward to seeing your progress.
But I think I need to point out a mis-read rule in your cage construction.
The X in the back looks great, but both the SCCA and CARS (Targo Nfld) rule book will require two bars coming strait back from the main hoop to the same points you used to attach the X to the floor pan. The rear X will not be enough on it's own to appease the rule makers!

Keep us up to date

Here a pic of my rally car, you can see the rear bars and X in this one. I chose the same terminus for the rear stays and X as you did. But now would be a great time to add these bars if you car is still in the condition as posted above - later will be very difficult, and then added paint, ect.

Byron
If you decide to put the bracing in Byron noted, let me know, I've got a bender and a 1.75" die. I'm going to do a family style cage for mine.

Your Pal,

Johnny :wink:
Last edited by johnnygalt on 31 Jul 2008 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
johnnygalt

Post by johnnygalt »

Though it's probably too late, since James painted the cage last friday :mrgreen:

I know he said he's not painting anymore cars, but man, I would love to talk him into painting mine. He REALLY does nice work and he cares way more than any regular shop would.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Howdy there Johnny. I absolutely agree with you about James. Very rare to find anyone in the auto industry that gives a shit about what their doing. With my project, I've dealt with the bottom of the unprofessional barrel which was DGR fabrication and the complete opposite which was James. I've posted on my thread a few times that James is the nicest guy I've met in the 510 community in all my years.
If you decide to put the bracing in Byron noted, let me know, I've got a bender and a 1.75" die. I'm going to do a family style cage for mine.
About the cage. I never meant for the car to be on the showish side, but it definitely evolved in that direction, so I think once I see the finished project in a few days, that a rally will be out of the question and there will be no need for a cage update. If my brother and I get around to putting a rally car together, I'll either opt for an STI or build another 510 thats purpose built.
I know he said he's not painting anymore cars, but man, I would love to talk him into painting mine. He REALLY does nice work and he cares way more than any regular shop would.

I think if you show James that you care about your car, your going to actually going to drive it and you give him a large time frame to get it done, you might be able to persuade him into one more.
Cant wait to see how it turns out :D
510ER
Supporter

Post by 510ER »

Hey johnny i had to reply to your post, i just finished my design for a "family" style cage, i got a 71 2 door and i just want the option to put people in it if i wanted to... so if your in need of ideas ill loan you a few
Spokane, Washington
71 2dr L20b stroker project
77 620 Looong box *sold used $$$ for rear coilovers and LSD
johnnygalt

Post by johnnygalt »

510ER wrote:
Hey johnny i had to reply to your post, i just finished my design for a "family" style cage, i got a 71 2 door and i just want the option to put people in it if i wanted to... so if your in need of ideas ill loan you a few
Awesome! I would love to see pics. I want to be able to fit my 2 kids in the back so we can all safely go on club runs.
brknrekord
Supporter

Post by brknrekord »

Old510balls,

Looks awesome man. I just read through the whole build thread. Thats too bad that DGR f'ed you so bad. I just had my cage done by them. Wish I would have read this earlier. I might have gone with the shop Derek mentioned. I am, for the most part, happy with the job, but there are a few things I was unhappy about. I wont get into them, but that sucks.

Just wanted to say whats up and I like the car. I hope to run the local tracks and hill climbs aswell when I get mine finished so hopefully will run into you someday. And Sierra is the best :mrgreen:
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Looks awesome man. I just read through the whole build thread. Thats too bad that DGR f'ed you so bad. I just had my cage done by them. Wish I would have read this earlier. I might have gone with the shop Derek mentioned. I am, for the most part, happy with the job, but there are a few things I was unhappy about. I wont get into them, but that sucks.
Nice to meet ya Brknrekord, and thanks for the complements. Part of the reason I started this thread was to warn people about DGR Fabrication. By sharing my experience, I hope to keep someone from going through the nightmare I've been dealing with.
I hope to run the local tracks and hill climbs as well when I get mine finished so hopefully will run into you someday. And Sierra is the best

It would be a blast if a bunch of folks from the realm could do a track day or hill climb. Laguna is the only track I haven't ridden on, so I'd love to try and organize something there. Only problem is that I'm still a ways off of being ready, so I think it will have to be next year, and yes Sierra makes me :mrgreen: I go to the brewery every Friday for a fresh one straight from the tap :lol:

Cheers
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Got her back from paint and she turned out amazing. I posted the pics on "shiny new dimes" and figured I should add them here.
Have to say thanks to the men behind the painting, James Johnson and his helper Bud.
Attachments
datsun project pics 046 (smaller).JPG
datsun project pics 043 (smaller).JPG
datsun project pics 039 (smaller).JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

One more picture of the new paint and then pics of its new home until she's ready to roll. I thought piecing it together was going to go quite fast, but I was wrong. Not easy in Chico to find shiny new metric nuts and bolts. Now that its shiny and new I cant put all the old rusty hardware back on :D
Attachments
datsun project pics 051 (smaller).JPG
car on jack standa 005 (small).JPG
car on jack standa 001 (small).JPG