New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
Baz

Re: New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

Post by Baz »

The bushes are supplied with crush tubes, so tighten them firm.
Just make sure all original washers are removed from the top mountings.
Standard washer on the bottom.
Note that the diff brace bush can be used with the thinner bush section at the top.
This will lift the diff a tad, reduce the shaft angularity & also allow further pos adjustment
for camber.

Could not see the diff shims in the pics. these should be placed under the diff to lift it.
Also noted the diff bolts have the nuts at the bottom.
You will need to remove the xmember if you need to replace the diff.
The bolts need to go in from the bottom, with nuts on top.
:wink:
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

Baz wrote:Also noted the diff bolts have the nuts at the bottom.
:wink:
hijack ?
is removal the reason for the nuts on top? i have them on bottom too, in case the nuts vibrated loose/fell off...
/
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Could not see the diff shims in the pics. these should be placed under the diff to lift it.
Also noted the diff bolts have the nuts at the bottom.
Thanks for the info Baz. Like hang 510, I'm also wondering if the nut/bolt thing on the diff bar is for easier dismantle??
Another question I had is, do I remove the stock top diff mount washer (the one with the rubber bits) like the ARC??
Thanks for the help
Baz

Post by Baz »

The nuts are at the top for easier removal of the diff.
Saves dropping the X member.
When using the poly bushes all the original washers with the bonded castleated
rubber are removed. The bushes mount direct to the frame.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Thanks again Baz. I got it all switched around today, and suddenly I'm not squeezing the piss out of the bushings. :D
The bolt reversal was a hit also.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Well, shes coming right along. I've made some progress on the under carriage and got the TSR brakes all bolted up (very nice kit, but I'm unable to give a performance review since they havnt seen the road yet) . The fronts went on smooth, but the rears needed some small spacers to get them centered around the rotors. DGR had originally mounted them up and I guess they didn't care that the caliper was grinding against the rotor. Dangerous stuff :evil: The rears are way over kill, but you only live once!
The Dynamat is not for the faint of heart or a perfectionist. This stuff is a pain in the ass to install around the dash area, but should be much easier on the rest of the car. Make sure you have a roller and and allot of patients :!: One of my goals was to make the car as quit as possible, so I'm hoping this stuff does the trick.
P.S. The lounge chair cushions make for a much more comfortable working environment :D
Next on the list is brake and fuel lines.
Attachments
Suspension and brakes 069.JPG
Suspension and brakes 060.JPG
Suspension and brakes 072.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Couple pics of the Dynamat install and the lounge area. I cant wait to get her on the road :P
Attachments
Suspension and brakes 081.JPG
Suspension and brakes 086.JPG
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

My goodness! looking really nice, can't wait to start assembly on mine, in like a year :cry:
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Have you had a chance to test the rack yet? To me it doesn't look like you're going to get enough lock to lock movement, but kind of hard to tell for sure with the boots in the way :P I'm also a little concerned that it looks like there's ~1/4" on either side of the mounts where the rack body could slide back and forth - why weren't the rack mounting points used?

Everything else looks sweet!
I'm your huckleberry.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Have you had a chance to test the rack yet? To me it doesn't look like you're going to get enough lock to lock movement, but kind of hard to tell for sure with the boots in the way :P I'm also a little concerned that it looks like there's ~1/4" on either side of the mounts where the rack body could slide back and forth - why weren't the rack mounting points used?
Thanks for your concerns and input, they are greatly appreciated. I have had to deal with DGR for 2 1/2 years and have found so many things they did that were unsafe it's ridiculous!! Ive redone or in the process of redoing everything they did. The bottom line is they shouldn't be in business :!: If I wanted to waste more time with them than I all ready have, the situation with them so called building my car, would have went to court. I just hope they dont end up killing someone some day with the garbage they put on the streets.
I'll let you know how the rack goes once it's on the road. I just hope it's not so bad I have to replace it like everything else. All in all, estimated loss through DGR is around 6 to 7 thousand :evil: and counting.
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

510ballz thanks for the input on and around the dime community. I am sick and tired of getting ripped off. I have encountered some real losers. My uncles were into the dimes in the late 70's and 80's and has it changed since then. People dont just care. I met an old school dimer at work this summer and he sold me some rare stuff including an engine and a block for peanuts. These cars were 2500 new back then. People want to sell dimes for millions with rust. 510's in reality are like prostitutes, everyone has had them and beat them as well. I cant tell you the # of time I have to fix the hack jobs. Keep up the good work!, Great paint choice, although I have not seen it in person. I hope u r happy with it. I have heard a lot of complaints from people that were said to be nice, in the dime show.....I get crap for not taking my dimes to meets, I bought the car for what it is.
shortmorris

Post by shortmorris »

(sorry for any crap spelling in advance)

I swear i have already commented on this thread but i couldnt find what i had said. it must have been that PM i sent you, i totally know aht you mean about the those kinds of shops that put out crap work, i myself had some done on a differnet car (not to be minsioned who or what kind of car). i figured if i can do it myself that i will attempt to do it.

I jsut moved to Corvallis Oregon and i just graduated with an assoictiates in auto collision. so i can paint a car but im still learning on the engine stuff. i stated a new thread about my future project so i dont want to tie up yours but anyone in the corvallis area please PM me, i woule like a little help in the subjects that im working in.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

NICKLE&DIME wrote:510's in reality are like prostitutes, everyone has had them and beat them as well.
pimpin' aint easy :lol:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

pimpin' aint easy :lol:
LOL :!: It aint cheap either :mrgreen:

Getting on to Brake and fuel lines.
Both are from TSR and are not cheap, but are incredibly nice. The fuel lines were a mock up, drill holes and mount. The brake lines were much more difficult. They bent from original form with the slightest amount of presure, but with patients and some correct order of operations they came together quite well. They both have great hot rod look and clean up the engine bay nicely!! I would suggest these to anyone that has the room on the credit car or in the bank account. You get what you pay for as long as you shop at the correct vendor. Check out the pics :lol:
Attachments
Suspension and brakes 126.JPG
Suspension and brakes 136.JPG
A little duct tape mock up!
A little duct tape mock up!
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

A few more pics of the engine bay and lines.
Attachments
Suspension and brakes 148.JPG
Suspension and brakes 114.JPG