The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

Re: The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by Byron510 »

Did you ever watch the Mull Productions 240Z build? I believe the guy is a Swede, but the car was from the NE US; he wanted a rust free car, got sold a complete basket case (this guy I'm sure has lots to say about honesty in the Americas) and then went on to rebuild the entire car, videoed the process and artistically displayed it for the world. If you like good hard rock, and some good videography from a home garage, it's worth an evening in front of your computer. Somewhere in the middle of that build the guy installed a Skyline rear end onto his 240Z. Not that it's anything like your build as he did little modification the suspension itself, but the installation process if good to watch for the hell of it.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
James

Post by James »

That set of videos is better than it should be. The music and presentation is really good. Scary amount of work into repairing that car.
Did they ever finish it?
Finished is better than perfect......
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

James wrote:That set of videos is better than it should be. The music and presentation is really good. Scary amount of work into repairing that car.
Did they ever finish it?

Yep – I agree. I saved them all, and watch a few once in a while for inspiration. I may need a lot for the Memorial Car!
The Mull website say no updates as of Feb 2011, there are 21 installations in all.
Byron
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Thanks for the heads up on the 240Z videos, I will check them out. I have so many different projects going at once that I seem to never get any of them done( Wilwood brakes, 300zx rotors, 200sx struts for the sedan, the SSE wagon and my wife's FJ 40 Toyota). But, I get burned out if I just stay on one. What I have been doing is working on each one a little. Sometimes when not working on a certain project, I then come up with a brain storm (design change) for that project.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here's the link Monte, have a big cup of coffee, tea or whatever your poison - you'll not want to stop once you've started. This young guy does a great job with his camera, and not too shabby on the car either!

http://forums.voodoo-people.com/mull/vi ... p?f=3&t=98

Byron
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Thanks Byron for the link.
miguel sss

Post by miguel sss »

Your job is amazing!!!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Thanks,
I started on the upper subframe assy. " H " in shape, pictures to follow soon.

Monte
supra510

Post by supra510 »

Nice work Monte. You're making one for me right? Miss seeing you and your wife at Shasta. Hard to believe it'll be 5 years this July since the last meet...
Anthony
'71 wagon, 2jz-gte engine, other stuff
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

supra510 wrote:Nice work Monte. You're making one for me right? Miss seeing you and your wife at Shasta. Hard to believe it'll be 5 years this July since the last meet...
Anthony,
I have to see how this one works first! I miss you and Shasta a whole lot too. Man, time is flying, I hope I can finish this project before they have to put me in a old folks home.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

More progress to report, I have been working on the upper sub frame. The diff hangs from this assembly and also mounts the Upper " A " inner pickup points. The following is some of the process of the build. I hope you guys enjoy, its been a lot work to this point. Input is always welcomed.

Marked out and cut the frame for the upper"A" arm frame on 2"x3" tubing

Cleaned up the saw cuts in the little Deckel mill so that all the cuts are the same depth and width,

Cut out the brackets and marked the where the holes go on the surface plate,

Drilled all the holes using a stop on the vise, so all the holes are the same in all the brackets, then a little cosmetic shaping of the brackets to make them look good,

This picture is what the mount looks like at this point before tacking the brackets in place, I then bead blasted the tubing to get rid of the mill scale, because I will be Tig welding this assembly, must be real clean ,

Turned a spacer on the lathe for spacing the brackets during the tack up and it will be used when welding so they won't move,

After tacking all the brackets in place, then added the main supports that go from side to side of the wagon. Did all of the tacking on a flat table, with the assembly upside down. This shot is with the sub frame back on the rear end;

A view from the looking up at the upper " A " arm pick up points,

Here is a picture of the IRS at this point with it assembled. All the suspension pick up points are to what a Miata has, measured about 2.3 degrees of camber increase at 2" of bump, which is what the Miata measured, so I must of done something right. I am real happy at this point in time, its starting to look like a IRS. Also shown with the mock up tire and wheel plywood cutout,

Another rear view shot,

Next thing to do is the mounting plates for the connection to the mustache bar bushings, its getting there.
Monte
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Got the mustache bar mounts tacked in place and is now holding the upper sub frame assy in place. Next I have to make or find some mustache bushing bolts, any body got some from a 2dr or 4dr, 16mm in diameter.

Front view

510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Drilled the holes for the mustache bar bolts. I am going to add some gussets to these plates to strengthen them, the rear portion of the diff. hangs from these, so they have to be strong. The bolts will be 16mm diameter, 100mm long.

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

I hate to ask at the risk of being terminally jealous, is all that great equipment in your home shop?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

two_68_510s wrote:I hate to ask at the risk of being terminally jealous, is all that great equipment in your home shop?
Yes, but I am now really tight for space. I am really thinking about getting rid of all the woodworking equipment now that the house projects are done and got out of the speaker cabinet business. I do a lot more metal work these days anyway. Plus I also do proto type work for a medical company, which helps pay for these toys.