VQ35DE swap progress (now with VIDEO)

View and post your 510 project(s)
turbo wagon

Re: VQ35DE swap progress

Post by turbo wagon »

Awesome build!
If you wanna sell it when you get it running let me know!
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

I think it's going to take a good sized chunk of change to get me to part with this car, though it usually seems after I finish a project car I sell it & move onto the next, this car is not the typical case & has always been my intention to keep until I die (or it's no longer legal to drive a gas powered vehicle, by then I'll convert it to whatever form of power we're using).

Anyways, I haven't updated you guys in a while, but I'm very close. I've been planning on posting the next update when it's up & running & have some video for you. I've been waiting on the shortened CV axles that I was told would take 1-2 weeks (it's almost been 2 months). Once I get them on & my fuel rails back, that leaked at the welds, I'll be driving it to the exhaust shop, then hopefully driving it regularly. I had 6AN bungs welded to the ends of the stock fuel rails for my fuel system to be a return style (350z's are returnless in stock form) but 3 of the 4 welds leaked so I haven't really been able to start it up yet. The car powers up, fuel pumps work, & the engine cranks, but I haven't been able to take it further than that yet. I hope to get the rails & axles back this week :D
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Can't wait to see more pics. I almost bought a 7k mile VQ35HR on ebay for $1000 + ship, but just couldn't pull the trigger (low on $$$ and the guy hadn't sent me any pictures before someone else bought it) :(
I'm your huckleberry.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

ive read/heard that the -HR are more prone to oil leaks/problems ??? :?

my trigger finger is still itchy :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

I'm not aware of problems with the HR, but I haven't researched them much yet. The inbetween engine known as the RevUp has oil consumption issues. The HR has 20mm taller decks, great for the higher revs, but it might make fitting the VQ into a 510 even more challenging.
I have managed to fit this DE under the hood, but ground clearance is less than preferable. I may lose the plenum spacer & raise the engine a little if I feel it's necessary.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

xlr8r wrote:I'm not aware of problems with the HR, but I haven't researched them much yet. The inbetween engine known as the RevUp has oil consumption issues.
perhaps that is the version im referring too :?
i cant find the site i read reports of this issue...
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
turbo wagon

Post by turbo wagon »

PM if you have a ball park price in mind. This is such a great combo, I cant wait to hear how it sounds!
pimp1911

Post by pimp1911 »

The revup's have the oil leak problem. 06????
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
1972 Datsun 240Z
2003 Nissan 350Z
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Why'd you change the fuel system from returnless to return? Better choice for fuel pumps?
I'm your huckleberry.
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

Returnless requires a Fuel pressure regulator to be in/or near the fuel cell/tank & can be problematic. A common & very expensive upgrade for 350z's is to convert to a return fuel system. Much easier for me to have a return system, especially in conjunction with my surge tank so I went that route.
I don't know what happened to some pics I had taken of the car lately, but I'll take some more & show the fuel system setup.

The RevUp engines are mainly 06 350z's & the 05 track models. The problem the HR's have had is the clutch slave cylinder which is inside the bellhousing. Speaking of bellhousing's, I've read that the HR bellhousings are quite a bit bigger than the DE's. This will require much more extensive trans tunnel & maybe a little firewall modification in comparison to what I had to do.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

Called it quits on the car for the day. I still have not received CV's or rails back yet so now I'm hoping for next week. Here's a pic of the fuel system. One of the pumps is rather loud, but I haven't determined which one yet (leaking fuel on the engine prevented that). I have a feeling it's the Walbro, so it may end up being placed under the car.

73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

That is looking good. That is going to a machine. My buddy has the walbro 250 in his 240sx and yeah that thing is load as hell! Plus its right behind your head. An idea is to build a little box that will cover the fuel pump and line it w/ dynamat. I did that to my little holly fuel pump that was rather loud as well and it is barely noticable.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

I got the fuel rails back, they still leaked, which I sort of expected so I had already ordered a set of aftermarket rails made by Injected Performance. I have the CV axles back as well that were shortened by 1" plus the 1/4" of so that flipping the bearing gets you & they fit great. Everything is wired up & ready to go so I have tried starting it up.
During which time I found some serious issues with the basemap I was given by VQswap. I've caught some of the stuff, but I'll be employing the assistance of a local AEM tuner to help me out. Depending on when he can help me I should have this up & running soon!!!

Last edited by xlr8r on 03 Aug 2008 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
510rob

Post by 510rob »

cool
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

I have the car up & running!!!

It took some work to get the tires actually clearing things in the rear, but I worked it out & the exhaust has been put on, two 2.25" pipes to a single 3". The alternator wasn't charging the system (due to a wiring mistake by VQswap) but I figured it out & wired it in. Would you believe that VQswap did not provide a means for my AEM EMS to read O2 signals? well that was the case because they are used to selling EMS's with the built in wideband sensor controller. So I figured that out so the EMS can read my wideband signal.

Anyways, I rushed to figure out the alternator thing so I could take part in a local Nissan forum dyno day. THe car felt quick, but not a whole lot faster than my KA. The car dyno'd at a whopping 153whp, so there is still a lot to work out with the tune. I have a local EMS tuner on the case to hopefully get the bugs worked out. Once I get the 100hp this thing is missing it's going to be a monster.

My trans is leaking oil at the moment & when I fix that I'll get some video posted.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold