VQ35DE swap progress (now with VIDEO)

View and post your 510 project(s)
xlr8r

Re: VQ35DE swap progress

Post by xlr8r »

The first package was just the harness adapter for the VQ harenss to plug into the EMS. After a few more e-mails I got him to send the VQ harness & got it on Thursday. I now have everything he owes me.
Last edited by xlr8r on 19 Aug 2008 08:56, edited 1 time in total.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Glad you got your stuff! I saw on some other forums he is selling a complete VQ35HR engine/trans/harness (not modified) for $3k.
I'm your huckleberry.
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

Wow, that's a great deal on an HR, if it wasn't coming from him. I'd love to put an HR in this 510 someday to replace the DE. When I get to that point I'll probably just build up the DE instead of rewiring everything for an HR. I have wiring on the brain because that's what I spent all day yesterday doing & I'm not done yet.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Yeah, wish I had the cash! I'm probably going to be sticking the L18 back in at this point :P
I'm your huckleberry.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Do you have any pictures of the modified harness? What is the model number of the Aem ECU. Since I have a similar project( VQ in the wagon-SSE project thread), I was thinking of going stand alone too instead of the stock ecu with all the CAN problems. I was also was looking at his package, but after hearing of his business practices with you, I don't think I will deal with him. These type of projects are hard enough without dealing with a person like him. Do you think it would be possible to make the harness yourself, if you had a electronic background, which I have. Any help would be much appreciated.

Monte
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

If I was to do it again, I'd probably get a Haltech Platinum ECU. They released one for 350z's about 4 months ago (just after I bought the EMS), it works as a complete standalone & would work well for our type of application with the ease of changing a few sensors here & there.
I got the EMS from VQswap because I have tuned AEM EMS's before so it's something I'm familiar with. However, if you want to use an EMS you pretty much have to get it from the VQswap guys because they have to open it up a tweak something on the ECU itself in order to get it to run the cam phasing from what I understand. AEM is supposedly working on an EMS specific to the 350z, but I haven't seen one released yet.

I plan on taking a bunch of update pics this weekend & will be sure to take a pic of the harness for you. By the way nice fab work on your car's rear suspension. Very nice stuff!!

I'm going to tease everyone & say that I have found a CV axle solution that appears like it is going to work great & with much less fuss than anticipated. I'll be checking the final fitment this weekend & post the results.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Pictures would be great. I will look into the Haltech Platinum ECU. The CV solution sounds nice, waiting for the results.

Monte
510rob

Post by 510rob »

xlr8r wrote:...GM sensors for MAP, IAT, & Water Temp... ...He provides the plugs to those sensors in the harness, but not the sensors themselves, making it so his customers has to track them down no their own... ...THere are also 3 different relays wired into the harness, but he only supplies the relay bases & not the relays themselves. So I now have to track those down as well. Doesn't make sense. People would be willing to pay the extra amount for those items up front to him so they don't have to find them themselves.
GM engines all use thermistor temp. sensors with the same sensor curve, whether they are water, air, oil, or whatever else. There is a perfect summary of the info right here...

Megasquirt - Temperature Sensors

If you buy an open element IAT sensor, it's a good idea to cut the cage off, and epoxy the element in place (if/when you cut off the plastic cage, you will see that the element is dangling from a pair of little <26AWG wires! The cage is there to prevent the thermistor element from falling into your motor, not to protect the element from damage!)

The relays, if they are standard automotive type, all follow ISO standard wiring, but different styles can share the same base, so find out from the fellow who did the wiring if you need single contact, crossover contact, or double contat type.

FWIW, here are some data sheets...

Panasonic CB-series Auto Relays

Omron G8JN Automotive Relays

Any auto store will sell the relays, e-Bay has a ton of guys selling auto relays, Digikey sell them, or even the corner gas station probably has them (or maybe even a dollar store!)
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to go through it more thoroughly when I have more time. I have now acquired most of the sensors & relays now with just the water temp sensor remaining. Which I'm probably going to get right now at the autoparts store during my lunch break.

I have several things I intend to finish up on the car this Saturday & if all goes well I may be starting the car up a week from this Sat. I'm starting to get really excited to get this done & on the road. I took a vacation day from work on Tuesday to make a big push on the car by doing a little more wiring & welding the trans tunnel cover.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

It may be a few more weeks before I'm able to start it up. Too many other obligations are taking up my time.

Anyways, here is the "BIG" update as promised

The Z31 CV axles seemed like they were going fit with the simple mod (flip the inner CV bearings to shorten the CV's by 3/8"). It turns out it's not enough though so I'll probably have an inch taken off of the CV shaft. So here's the pic that was supposed to include CV axles bolted in & ready to go.

Here are pics of the engine harness, the 3 GM plugs, & the EMS with the conversion harness. The EMS part # is 1050-0199 & it has been opened up for some sort of modification.

Here's my RCI Fuel Cell. It almost fit but is 1/4" longer than described by the manufacturer & I have the corner chamfered so it clears. I bought a different filler neck that points to the side, but it turns out it's bolt circle diameter was too small, so I now have to look for another one.

Here's my final engine mounts that use the stock L series rubber mounts. If the stock mounts seem to be too weak I'll probably just weld them up to be solid mounts. Like my powder coating job?

Here's the modded/shortened stock headers. I haven't done a final weld to them yet. I wanted to use aftermarket/tubular manifolds but they are all too wide to fit between the frame rails.
Last edited by xlr8r on 28 Apr 2008 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Have anymore pictures of your modified rear crossmember?

Did you try the 280zxt shafts? Those are the ones icehouse and I have been playing with.
I'm your huckleberry.
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

What exactly do you want to see on the crossmember? so I can get the pic you are looking for.

The 280zxt CV's seem like an easier option. I guess I had to make things more difficult. I'm using the Modern Motorpsorts Billet Companion Flanges (If I do it again I'll just use modded OEM 280z companion flanges for ease & savings). I have a pair of 280z Comp flanges that have been reduced at the inner ends so they will slide into a 510 seal(stock diameter is too large). I had to mod a few things to get the billet ones to work. Basically what I've done is:
1. 280z stub axles- diameter reduced at a machine shop so they press into the 510 bearings. 280z stubs are reportedly the strongest OEM stubs available for Z's so most of M-M's parts revolve around the 280z stub.
2. Modern Motorsports Billet Companion flanges- the comp flanges inner dust shield diameter had to be reduced, 510 bearing/axle seal enlarged, a little tiny bit of the LCA to bearing housing connection grinded so the comp flanges outer edge does not hit it.
3. Mad Dat Diff Bracket- I'm using a diff cover from a Z32 which has wider bolt spacing than Z31's & earlier R200 diffs, so I had given the new spacing specs to Mad Dat & they made it to order. This was well before the $ value tanked. :roll:
4. Z31 turbo axles (87-89's)- The stock ones almost fit but I'll have to have the shafts shortened by 1/2" min. but may as well go for a full inch
5. LSD- $ is tight to I have an OBX Helical LSD, meant for 240sx's in the diff. The LSD has a serious design flaw with the inner washers meant for preload. The LSD design does not fully encase the washers so they can actually fall out of place. I fixed this by removing washers & putting in a spacer that bridges the gap. Some day when I'm rich again I'm going to rebuild the spare R200 I have & put a Quaife in it (all my Hondas had a Quaife).
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

I was just curious about the swing arm mounts - maybe it's just a penultimate style?

I'm a little confused on the 280z stub axles - don't you defeat the strength point but machining them down?

It's still up in the air as far as I know if the 280zxt axles will work without shortening. I think they'll work for me while using the 280zxt arms as well, but not sure with the stock 510 arms.
I'm your huckleberry.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I would like to see pics of the z31 T axles only being 1" to long, I had a stack of axles and the z31's were the longest of the bunch. I thought the z31 T axles are a different style than the zx/z31 non turbo though... The z31 shafts I had were off an early model.

How much gas does that tank hold? It looks big :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
xlr8r

Post by xlr8r »

Yeah, the crossmember is your standard Penultimate, that's why I was wondering what you wanted to see.

The 280z stub axles have 2 diameters. The diameter of the main shaft & the larger diameter at the 2 points where the bearings are. For the 280z stubs to fit a 510, the larger diameter parts get machined down almost to the diameter of the main shaft. Meaning the shaft itself does not get reduced/machined/weakened.

I can put the Z31 CV axles back in & take a pic. They actually fit in place with my LCA's at partial droop like they are in their current position. Once I try to push them up beyond the horizontal position I run into resistance. The Z31 turbo axles have a 4 bolt CV end while the Z31 NA & 280zxt are 6 bolt. The main reason I'm going with Z31 over 280zxt is that from what I've read the Z31 CV's are a much better design for strength & range of motion.

Oh & the tank is a 15 gallon. If they had a 10-12 gallon that was shorter it would fit great (no chamfer needed & better angle for the filler.
73' 610 Wagon
72 VQ510 - sold