Official Saturn IR Alt. Swap

View and post your 510 project(s)
JDMonster
Supporter

Re: Official Saturn IR Alt. Swap

Post by JDMonster »

Ok My alternator went bad in my RHD 70 Bluebird. It had a upgraded alternator in it from an unknown Nissan. The voltage regulator is not under the hood so im assumeing the previous owner bypassed it and the new chargeing system was a internal regulated alternator.

Soooooo, I got the 94 Saturn alternator, fabed up the bracket and got it all mounted in. I grounded the wires that were grounded on the old setup just the same to the new one. I bolted up the wiring to the positive lead on the back of the new system just how it was on the old one (a large red wire and a large solid white wire). That left two wires, theses had been spliced into a new harness that was on the old alternator (a large white wire and a small white wire). So i figured that there were only two ways to hook it up. I tried wireing it both ways to the two wires on the Saturn alternator and both ways as soon as I un hooked the battery the car died, So im assumeing its not chargeing or wired correct. any ideas?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Disconnecting the battery with the engine running is a good way to kill an alternator.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JDMonster
Supporter

Post by JDMonster »

best way to check to see if its chargeing?
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

do you have a milti meter?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah. Engine off, measure battery voltage. Engine on, measure battery voltage. Engine on, the voltage should be higher (something in the mid 13s is normal).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Any pics of your car?? I would like to see it.....
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

goichi1 wrote:Any pics of your car?? I would like to see it.....
Rich,

The setup he is talking about, sure sounds like my old Coupe.
brainfood

Post by brainfood »

I dont have a stock saturn pigtail for my '95 alternator what 2 wires out of the 4 on the alternator are for the signal and charge lamp?