Update Project KA24DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
datsun510

Update Project KA24DET

Post by datsun510 »

Just got the intercooler fitted at my fabricators. The intercooler is a 3" Garrett core with custom TSR tanks. Came out great, just need to touch up the paint. The inlet and outlet run under the radiator.

It should work great with the TSR Ron Davis radiator with twin Spal Fans.

Now we just need to get the plumbing completed and wiring and order rims for the car and touch up the paint. It is coming along slowly.

Seth
Last edited by datsun510 on 31 Oct 2009 20:17, edited 4 times in total.
vgwagon

RE: Project KA24DET

Post by vgwagon »

Thats impressive to say the least.
Nice stuff!
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
icehouse

RE: Project KA24DET

Post by icehouse »

Does the KA have stock internals? What are you running for management injectors and such?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
caesarDX

Post by caesarDX »

More Details. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Nice project ! Different from a SR20 Det swap. Okay....let's not get into a KA24det vs Sr20det comparison again.
:lol:
1984 Renault R5 Turbo2 - L' Enfant Terrible
1989 BMW E30 M3 "God's Chariot"
2001 Renault Clio V6 Sport Phase 1
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec
arkitekz
Supporter

Post by arkitekz »

SR vs KA yes!!!!!! Nice work. i am doing a ka transplant as we speak. May go turbo next year because i have not see many ka-det. Love both motors but since everyone seems to know at least 1 or more people with sr, i will have to jump on the ka bandwagon. KA BABY!!!!
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

so....when you taking me for a ride :?: :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

The KA24DE is stock internally now but I have another motor that will be built after I get the stock engine running. I will just have to run low boost for now. I am using a JWT ECU that I will need to get a new chip for. When it was first modified I was going to go NA but have since changed my mind. I will also be changing to larger injectors as well.

Seth
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

why did you decide against NA? seems like the power would be much more predictable and that makes for a much more drivable car. Also you then don't have to contend with the heat issues...
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Stock internal KAs can hold up to a lot. My buddy has a turbo sohc ka in his 240sx running an aem ems he layed down 300hp and 310 ft lbs of torque at about 9-10 psi on intlirely stock internals, and that is a daily driver for almost a year now with no real problems and 90,000 miles on the motor.

I do agree with what yellowcar is saying though a lot of boost is very hard to predict when it is going to come in. Even in his 240sx you ram the gas in 3rd and the tires will easily light up, let alone put that into a much lighter car, be prepared for some major traction issues. I would say just run a metal head gasket and some arp head studs, and find a decent cam and that is about all you will need for a ka24det 510.

It really does look good though, any pics of the car?
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
arkitekz
Supporter

Post by arkitekz »

I eliminated my power steering on my ka swap but now i am trying to figure out what do to with the water pulley belt? Did you have this same problem with your ka-det? how did you solve it?
Datsunkid-510-

Post by Datsunkid-510- »

Dohc ka-t can hold amazing amounts of boost. 350hp is when you start having problems with ring glands failing, 400 hp when the rods start failing. Of course a few people have proved that to be wrong but in general thats the rule of thumb. One guy (who wont give out his tuning specs) made over 500 stock internals. He had custom exhaust and intake and insain ammount of tuning time but he did it. Ka-t.org has great info ive been a member there for over a year and they are deffinately a nice bunch of guys. Dont post "how much psi, or hp can stock ka take" (btw ive heard anywhere from 12-15 psi) lol you'll get flamed. Also if your just getting into ka-t's read this first.
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263&start=0
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

I had a ride in my fabricators SR20DET stroker car and it is very driveable at low boost and still moves real nice. I was going to do the NA and run it for a while and then turbo but I figured I would just do it all at once. The Power Steering is gone on my motor as well, my fabricator had a custom billet alum WP pulley (red in the picture) made that allows me to just run 1 belt. This car is just a toy so I won't have to drive daily unless I want to. I probably now have to much gear for the turbo but I will have to see how it works.

Seth
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

For my tensioner on the water belt i just used the power steering pump. It works for now, it is entirely gutted out. But it looks pretty simple to make a bracket off that.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
arkitekz
Supporter

Post by arkitekz »

gutted steering pump you say, hmmm. i saw something in the ka-t.org about a kit some guys were making that brings out the radiator forward so it uses a new belt that goes around water pump, crank and alternator. CHECK IT OUT. the bidding has ending but i heard you can contact him to get this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 163&rd=1,1
Attachments
AltDelete06.JPG.jpg
Water Pump Belt.jpg
6d91_1.JPG.jpg
arkitekz
Supporter

Post by arkitekz »

Datsunkid-510- wrote:Dohc ka-t can hold amazing amounts of boost. 350hp is when you start having problems with ring glands failing, 400 hp when the rods start failing. Of course a few people have proved that to be wrong but in general thats the rule of thumb. One guy (who wont give out his tuning specs) made over 500 stock internals. He had custom exhaust and intake and insain ammount of tuning time but he did it. Ka-t.org has great info ive been a member there for over a year and they are deffinately a nice bunch of guys. Dont post "how much psi, or hp can stock ka take" (btw ive heard anywhere from 12-15 psi) lol you'll get flamed. Also if your just getting into ka-t's read this first.
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6263&start=0
Hey Datsunkid, join the ka folks. Come to the darkside!!! :twisted: