'71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

View and post your 510 project(s)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: '71 4 Door - Mikuni'd KA24DE

Post by Three B's Racing »

Wow your engine isolators are really stressed. Looks to me like all you need to do is modify the steel engine mount to properly fit the stock 510 isolators sitting in their original stock position on the crossmember. This is what I did for my SR but I did it with everything out of the car. If the diff is a Subi R180 you'll have to replace that flange with a Datsun flange anyway as the stock 510 driveshaft won't bolt to it. If it's a R160 Subi it'll go in easily, atlease that's my experience. Only hard part is lifting the diff up into that hole without knocking over you beer, I hate it when that happens 8>) come spring time I should drive down to you place and we can hang out.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote:Wow your engine isolators are really stressed. Looks to me like all you need to do is modify the steel engine mount to properly fit the stock 510 isolators sitting in their original stock position on the crossmember. This is what I did for my SR but I did it with everything out of the car. If the diff is a Subi R180 you'll have to replace that flange with a Datsun flange anyway as the stock 510 driveshaft won't bolt to it. If it's a R160 Subi it'll go in easily, atlease that's my experience. Only hard part is lifting the diff up into that hole without knocking over you beer, I hate it when that happens 8>) come spring time I should drive down to you place and we can hang out.
Thats the plan, take a bunch of measurements, ideally with the car at the shop and rework the steel engine mounts to allow 510 isolators bolted in the stock upper position.

All my diffs are 160s. The Subaru LGT and WRXs all run R160s with twice as much power, in my opinion if your blowing up R160s your trying to do so... not to say I wont go R180 some day... they are more readily available with clutch limited slips now a days.

I might be making the drive up to you hahaha - 510 is down in CT for now... but Im hoping to get it up to MA for at least a little bit this summer. Were in our rental till May '19, but once its up were hoping to buy a house, which must include a garage... or the space and ability to build one.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Finally got some time to work on the dime. Went down to CT for a few days to take care of some issues.

Pulled the engine the reseal the oil pan--- hoping it holds this time...
Image20180503_152105 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Tried to use the "stock" 2?0z trans mount.. but it dropped the trans too far and in turn angled the engine too far back so it hit the firewall... oh well back to the poly mount...

Got a new TPS sensor and adapter for throttle shaft--- and it works! Which allowed me to finally update to a real ignition map. Ill have to screenshot a photo of it later, but its basically a tweaked version of Dukes map adjusted for a TPS sensor instead of MAP. Could probably use some fine tuning, but it works for now and the car runs much better then the flat 15 degree map I was running before.
Image20180505_171845 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

For anyone interested, and hopefully this helps someone else since I had a hell of a time trying to figure it out... Kinsler Fuel Injection sells these TPS sensors, and this adapter for a 3/8" throttle shaft (such as the one available from pierce manifolds) I used the clockwise rotation sensor for my application.
ImageScreen Shot 2018-05-05 at 10.55.52 PM by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Some engine shots... it just looks too good!!!
Image20180413_172927 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20180413_172945 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Also worked out a few other electrical kinks - added a second fuse panel. Got the reverse lights working. Got the AFR wideband gauge working. And finally got my speedo working!!! Ended up being a bent pin in the vss sensor, carefully bent it back and it works. All my gauges work now!!!!

So since everything was working I took it out for a spin ---
Image20180505_200811 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20180505_200833 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Haven't had much to update since the move back east. With the car being stored in CT and living in an apartment in MA... there weren't many updates... until now. We bought a house which means the car gets to come back up. The garage is small... but big enough to fit the 510 and a nice work bench. ultimate plan is to tear it down and build a nice 2 car garage... we'll see how long that takes....

anyway...

Yesterday was the day to bring her to the new home.

Picked up a Uhaul trailer and did the round trip MA->CT->MA in today to bring her home!

Image20190424_113941 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20190424_113949 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20190424_114003 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

Image20190424_171809 by Devon Mitchell, on Flickr

We'll see... future updates may be slow as well cause the house needs love too, but at least Ill have the 510 to cruise around in.
JLsKA

Post by JLsKA »

Hey Devon,
Enjoyed your build! ...What fan are you running, a puller or pusher?
I'm wanting to upgrade my Rabbit radiator/pusher fan to the AFCO/puller fan... but I fear there's not enough room, unless I can find an ultra slim puller.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

JLsKA wrote: 19 May 2019 02:02 Hey Devon,
Enjoyed your build! ...What fan are you running, a puller or pusher?
I'm wanting to upgrade my Rabbit radiator/pusher fan to the AFCO/puller fan... but I fear there's not enough room, unless I can find an ultra slim puller.
It's a mishimoto fan don't remember exactly what size... I think 12"... set up a pusher right now, but I've got it mounted too far away from the radiator so it's only works ok... need to mount it directly to the radiator or build a shroud for it.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Awesome!! Maybe we can both drive to Summit Point WV for the East Coast 510 Meet next year. This years was excellent with good weather and lots of racing and great company, even a transmission replacement was performed. My drive from NH and back home was awesome. A few new guys looking forward to next year and a few old 510ers we haven't seen in a few years returned and will be back next year.
SP2019.png
SP2019.png (415.31 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote: 21 May 2019 10:02 Awesome!! Maybe we can both drive to Summit Point WV for the East Coast 510 Meet next year. This years was excellent with good weather and lots of racing and great company, even a transmission replacement was performed. My drive from NH and back home was awesome. A few new guys looking forward to next year and a few old 510ers we haven't seen in a few years returned and will be back next year.
SP2019.png
Hoping too! It was just to much this year... still feeling the new engine and everything out...
Three B's Racing
Supporter

demo243 wrote: 23 May 2019 19:15
Three B's Racing wrote: 21 May 2019 10:02 Awesome!! Maybe we can both drive to Summit Point WV for the East Coast 510 Meet next year. This years was excellent with good weather and lots of racing and great company, even a transmission replacement was performed. My drive from NH and back home was awesome. A few new guys looking forward to next year and a few old 510ers we haven't seen in a few years returned and will be back next year.
SP2019.png
Hoping too! It was just to much this year... still feeling the new engine and everything out...
I hear Ya.
- John Lennon
paul97

Post by paul97 »

Nice car! It was nice meeting you today at Will's house.It was nice reading all that you have been through with your car. I saw the car at this year's Japanese Car day at the Larz Anderson Museum. I would've talked to you about the car but there wasn't anyone near the car when I saw it.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

paul97 wrote: 21 Dec 2019 13:17 Nice car! It was nice meeting you today at Will's house.It was nice reading all that you have been through with your car. I saw the car at this year's Japanese Car day at the Larz Anderson Museum. I would've talked to you about the car but there wasn't anyone near the car when I saw it.
Thanks!

A few of us cruised in this year. Was a good turn out this year.

I'll try and hit the first cars and coffee there next year.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Been a while since I have updated this thread...

So last August I picked up a 620 truck that has been taking up most my time for a while now--- brought it home with a KA in the bed and had to push it up on the trailer! Thanks Gravity! The truck is up and running now and got a few miles on it now. I got the truck because the 510 had gotten to such a level of race car that its not so much fun to just cruise in... super fun to hammer and drive like a sports car... but not so much to just drive to work...

Anyway heres a shot of the truck ---- if you want to see more on that check out my thread over on Ratsun https://ratsun.net/topic/76075-orange-whip-78-620/

Image20200311_183357 by devon M, on Flickr

Back to the 510!

Broke it out of the garage for its maiden spring voyage! My new go to photo spot was taken today, so these will do...

Image20200327_171854 by devon M, on Flickr

Image20200327_211018 by devon M, on Flickr

Car is running pretty good! Just begs to be driven hard and hammered on. Clutch feels really light.... dont remember it being that light... bleed it, but no difference... maybe its just the return spring on the 620 that is that much stiffer... idk...

Car is gonna need some new tires this year I think.... maybe some DZ102s... havent decided yet...

Hoods up till next time!!!

Image20200327_215419 by devon M, on Flickr

Image20200327_160059 by devon M, on Flickr
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Been checking in on the forums almost daily while stuck working from home-- no real complaints on that... although I do miss the car shows and gatherings... -- haven't update this thread much since Ive been more active on Ratsun recently. Been driving my 620 alot so the 510 has been a little neglected until last week or so.

Been meaning to lower it a bit for a while now.. and finally got around to doing it. Dropped it a few turns on the front coilovers and trimmed about a 1/2 coil off the rear springs. Would like to get the front a little bit lower, but 1 more turn puts the perches really close to the tires... need to get some shorter springs....

Any way heres how she sits now. Pretty happy with it overall.

ImageUntitled by devon M, on Flickr

Also got a bit bored this afternoon so I pulled my 4.44 out of the basement--- I tried shimming the LSD a while back, but didnt go thick enough on the spacers so you could easily get the clutch pack to slip with just your hands... Then when I swapped to the KA I swapped the 4.11 back in figuring it might fit the “car” better.

All pulled apart - yes those are PBR can shims... read to use a coke can somewhere back then so I tried it... obviously didnt work...

Some pretty good wear on the clutches...

Had some spare aluminum sheet around so I cut out a thicker spacer... put it in the vise and tried to break it loose... guess I went too thick (~1.5mm) cause the vise was moving before the clutches slipped.

Thought about running it... but decided to do the right thing and pulled it apart to put in a thinner shim. The next bit of sheet I had was only .5mm so I ended up making two shims for about 1mm total. Put it all back together and tested it out - took a good solid force to get them to slip - I think its in the 60ish ftlb range - I really need to get/make a bracket to check the torque... either way the shims seemed to work. Then took the time to swap it into the car.

And work they did! LSD works! Maybe too well... it will easily step side ways in 2nd and 3rd.... made for an interesting on ramp experience.

4.44 are definitely quick... and buzzy... about 4K @ 80 mph about the same as it was with my old L and 280z?x? trans.

Definitely time for some new sticky tires... and probably time to bite the bullet and get a real rear adjustable rear crossmember— mines slotted, but would like to have the proper brackets...— between the rear camber since lowering it more, the old tires and the LSD it’s a bit tail happy.

Thats all for now --- new tires on the 620 are next... Then I think this car. Thinking about maybe a set of Rota Grids for it too... but the money would be better spent on some more goodies--- Adjustable Lower Control Arms, TC Rods, Bushing Replacements... etc... will see.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Hey Devon so you know, the East Coast Meet at Summit Point Raceway in WV was moved to the weekend of August 8th. Never been there in Aug and imagine it'll be quite humid. If your interested in driving down together let me know. I'll be leaving Friday early morning 12:01am which gets me there about 10/11am. I like taking my time as there is no hurry to get there and typically stop in Scranton, Pa at the Iron Skillet truck stop for breakfast, a good rest, coffee and fuel. I'm currently in the process of repainting my 510 and plan on having it completed for the trip.
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote: 03 Jun 2020 08:52 Hey Devon so you know, the East Coast Meet at Summit Point Raceway in WV was moved to the weekend of August 8th. Never been there in Aug and imagine it'll be quite humid.....
Ive got it book marked in my calendar. Waiting to see what happens with everything going on Covid wise.... but I have a tentative vacation in NJ at a family house the week after, which would break up the return drive nicely, just dependent on getting that additional Friday off...

August gives me some time to sort a few more things out on the car--- mainly drop the trans and confirm the clutch and flywheel are tight and swap in my spare trans to see if that helps the racket I have going on on decel... Going to check the driveline angles again before I do that. Also been looking at maybe grabbing a set of those DatsunRestoMod CVs... cant hurt...

All that highway milage has me thinking about throwing my 3.9 diff in... although I was just about to steal the square driveshaft flange from it... hmmm...

But anyway- got it book marked! just cant commit yet. Would love to get down there though.