The 70 510 project

View and post your 510 project(s)
mattbunzel

The 70 510 project

Post by mattbunzel »

Picked up this 70 510 the Saturday after thanksgiving. My plans for the car are to yank the l16 out and put in a rebuilt l20B i have from my 620. Then address all the suspension and bushings and eventually when the time and money are there do all the body work and paint.

FIrst day:

The car only needed a clutch master to be able to move under its own power but i figured while i was at it i would replace the full clutch hydraulic system and the brake master at the same time, which snowballed to well if im going to yank the motor for the l20b i might as well hold off on the clutch and brake system and clean up the engine bay all at once. So out came the motor.

Then the motor was out and found a little bit of rust on the firewall, and also found that the car had been in an accident once on the passenger side.
Last edited by mattbunzel on 13 Dec 2016 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
mattbunzel

Re: The 70 510 project

Post by mattbunzel »

I then started to fix the rust on the firewall and strip the paint in the engine bay.
I also broke most of the fender bolts and a couple other bolts when disassembling the front end. Only had to drill out three and was able to use pb and heat and vice grips to get the rest.
Then did some paint stripping, but eventually it was to cold out for the paint stripper to work right so ended up wire wheeling for six hours or so.
Last edited by mattbunzel on 13 Dec 2016 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

Then decided to drop the front crossmember and suspension so i could get to the area on the engine bay around the steering box.
Assembly all out

After taking a closer look at all the bushings and suspension bits i decided that now is the time to replace everything i want, why do it twice when you can do it right once.
BrandonS
Supporter

Post by BrandonS »

Wow not messing around at all!
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Nothing like the Automotive Snowball Effect in action. Nice work.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

While I'm At It syndrome strikes again.

Looking good!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
16Again

Post by 16Again »

Looks like that car has found a good home. Someone to show it some love again.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

This polar vortex has been killing my productivity.....Once it warms back up a bit ill start to paint the engine bay and reassemble the front end with some suspension goodies from techno toy tuning.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I got your Polar Vortex right here. -9* when I woke up this morning, I was going to put a new exhaust on my Power Wagon but it was too damn cold.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

defdes wrote:I got your Polar Vortex right here. -9* when I woke up this morning, I was going to put a new exhaust on my Power Wagon but it was too damn cold.
You got me there, not quite that cold here.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

Have been slacking lately. Engine bay is about 80% ready for paint, kind of just waiting for a warmer day. I also pulled the front cross member assembly apart and wire wheeled and painted the cross member and control arms. Oh and to my surprise a previous owner has already beefed up the tie rods with heim joints, and they put spherical bearings in the control arms. They dont seem to have any play in them so i guess ill run them and see how they perform, they are welded in so unless i want to get other control arms they will have to do.
I also worked on the inner fenders for a bit. I ran out of undercoating about halfway through. Also has a little bit of damage up front. Not excited about it but nothing is tweeked and my measurements side to side are pretty dang close.
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Your bike looks really muddy. You have fun?
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

Also my Christmas present to myself came in the other day.
And when i was cleaning out my garage out realized i ended up with a bunch of quarter windows.
In some of the stuff that came with the car i found some cool Nissan wheel chalks, never seen these before.
mattbunzel

Post by mattbunzel »

KiKiIchiBan wrote:Your bike looks really muddy. You have fun?
That's my buddies bike, he came over to help and decided to ride over.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's funny, I noticed the rear tire also, looked fresh. We rode all winter too, wore out a lot of parts in the muck.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer