Another 72 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
66DUCE

Re: Another 72 510

Post by 66DUCE »

Spent some more time working on the inner rocker and floor repair.

Then refitted the rocker back into place.

Re-installed door and front fender to re-check alignment and door/fender gaps.

greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

awesome progress!
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Awesome
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
MarkReidHRC
Supporter

Post by MarkReidHRC »

Very familiar looking pictures Just finished doing rockers on my project.
If all else fails... try again
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks guys, I have some more pictures to post just need to find the time to post!
Mark, we seem to be on similar paths, you guys are hitting it out of the park! Nice work on your project.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Got the doors stripped and ready for the bodywork to begin on those, was surprised at how little damage I found under the paint. One small dent that was visible before stripping process, and one larger dent that was beside the door handle on drivers door.

Results after the first stage of stripping, lots of effort to get all the original paint removed. I opted to use the stripping method as I am still finding sand from sand blasting from the restoration of my Nova 29 years later!

Same slow process to get the paint stripped from the passenger door, amazingly no dents on this side!

gooned

Post by gooned »

Looking good!
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

How is progress?
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks guys, this project has been stalled (wow 6 months go's by like that) as I was working on my 1966 Nova. Changed from a turbo 350 to a 700r4 (4L60) had to build the trans, re & re and build a trans mount shorten drive shaft and change the shifter to accommodate the 4 speed. Other than that took the summer off and now that the summer toys are winterized I am thinking more about this project again. I have also been helping a buddy with his Chevelle. Ok stop making excuses right! I hope to get the garage organized so that progress can move forward again.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

I know we are all picture whores here are some old photos I have yet to post. I did start on the other rocker for the passenger side and built a rack to easily move the car around. Last shot is an inspirational shot to get me motivated!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Wow..looks great..we missed ya this summer!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Last weekend I Got back to work on the Passenger side of the car about the same process as the drivers, cut out all the bad, fabricate new and replace all rusted areas, install new rocker, test fit everything line up door/rocker/fender...

Started with the rear section, cleaned up the old area and fabricated a new piece to go in, I also moved the lower seat-belt mounting point back same as I did on the drivers side.
The front section that caps off the rocker was in bad shape as well so fabricated a new piece to go there too.
Once all that was prepped I have had the rocker on/ off to make sure all was still lining up and able to get the rocker leveled and secured to test fit the door and front fender, again on this side I have to weld in a nut for securing the bottom of the front fender to the front part of the rocker. The hole is almost in the right location, so I guess it is ok that the nut was not welded in place.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You need to pick up the pace, the spring drive is around the corner..heh..heh...

Looks good!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Thanks Keith. I am back on this with a vengeance, but this takes a lot longer than I want it to. I am writing this and thinking that I will take a break tonight as I have been going strong since Saturday.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Got some more work done on the rockers, did final welding and grinding for the inner part of the rockers. I used a clean and strip puck to get rid of the majority of the surface rust, then applied the rust neutralizer to sit for 24hrs, rinsed as per the directions then a quick sand on all other parts. Cleaned all parts with wax & grease remover tarped the garage off and sprayed epoxy primer on the inside of the rocker area, rockers and patch panels same as I did on drivers side.

Cleaned off areas to bare metal to be welded and had a buddy come over and help me weld in the rockers, we were on a roll and forgot to take pictures mid stream, but rocker is now fully welded including an extension to connect the rocker to the wheel well opening. After a number of different ideas on how to finish the transition to the inner wheel well this is what we came up with... Anyone who has done this area before have some suggestions? Am I on the right track? Once I have the right transition the slits will be welded up and returned to connect to the inner wheel well flange, just like the factory did.