European 510 1400 4door - Barn find

View and post your 510 project(s)
datrolla

European 510 1400 4door - Barn find

Post by datrolla »

Hello everybody,

I recently became an owner of 1971 Datsun 510. Bought it from first owner, been sitting in the garage for the past 15 years.

Few years ago, there was one blue 510 for sale here in Croatia for 1000€ (~1600 CAD) that I missed because I needed too long to contact owner and he sold it a day before. It seemed in excellent shape, with some bodywork already done. At that time, I didn't realize how rare are 510's in Europe. A month ago I was searching something about 510 racing history (saw Petrolicious video and wanted to find out a bit more) and I stumbled upon an old ad for beige 510 from 2012 with one picture in our local classifieds. I presumed it was sold, so I contacted owner to see if he maybe has contact of the guy that bought it. Thought was: maybe he is willing to sell it, times are rough in Croatia.

Can you imagine how shocked I was when he replied in a matter of minutes: "Car is still for sale" :)

I ranged him immediately and arranged to go and see it 300km from my town. One thing led to another, and I bought it from him for great price :)

It's European 4 door version with L14 engine in Deluxe trim. Luckily, car has been somewhat maintained, and I "just" need a few seals and gaskets to get it in mechanically decent shape. Body is excellent, and there is almost no rust - just two spots below rear doors. Never been in an accident and all parts on it are OEM.

Past owner bought it from Nissan dealer in Croatia in 1971 and he gave me original contract/receipt, brochures and some service history. Also, he gave me some OEM new spare parts - head gasket, oil filter, complete front grill and new taillights, and some other bits and pieces.

So, here are a few images from when I went to see it first time.

Shed where it was sitting for the past 15 years

Plans are to get it running properly first - seals, gaskets, fluids, brakes... Then some bodywork to get rid of rust spots and to protect it from further rust issues.

I'm still weighting on what kind of route I want to take it - But probably first to get it stock and complete (fuel door is missing, few emblems, mirrors etc.) and then minor mods to suspension - new bushings, shocks, stiffer and lower springs (probably custom made, since I'm not aware of any springs that will fit except for complete new coilovers) on some nice oldschool 14" rims (Libre, or maybe Watanabe styled copies like Konig Rewind). I would like to keep it period correct as much as its possible.

Further plans are repainting and some engine tuning (Weber 32/36 etc.), but we will see how it goes.

Suggestions and comments are welcome :)
Last edited by datrolla on 04 Jun 2016 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
qwik510
Supporter

Re: European 510 1400 4door - Barn find

Post by qwik510 »

Sweet find. Congrats. Looks to be a very nice car.

I love the speedo in Kph and th factory clock.

Looks like some nice custom seat covers have protected the stock seats well.

Can't wait to see a picture with the seat covers off.

Enjoy the ride!

David
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Aw, come on man, you aren't going to remove the most creative use of a mirror in the world, are you? That has got to be unique!

All kidding aside, that looks like a great find. Must be a very dry shed.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That would be a celebratory find here in the US, never mind what you paid for it. To find a 510 in such condition in Croatia? A miracle. While there was a cult following for the 510 here, in Canada, and other Pacific Rim countries, based on cars that are left, it never made much of an impact in greater Europe. I'd have to think this is a needle in a country full of hay.

Well bought!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

What a find. Excellent purchase. Looking forward to updates.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Woah what a lucky find !
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Just the fact that the car has remained in completely original condition makes it such a great candidate for a restoration. It’s good to see that the value is retained even in Europe where few examples are left!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I say slam it on stock wheels and cruise it.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam