Project Camatsun - RUNNING AND DRIVING!

View and post your 510 project(s)
wcrowe

Re: New Guy with unique project

Post by wcrowe »

So some progress has been made in the last few months.

Radiator support was fitted and then removed (to facilitate removing the engine and trans that are currently sitting in it more easily).

OIL PAN WAS FINISHED :D. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6rHXm ... sp=sharing

Engine now fits in the car fine and clears the steering box and all.

Challenges remaining:

Finding a Radiator that will both properly cool the engine and fit between it and the radiator support (with minimal hacking up of the support)

Exhaust fitting around the steering box on the driver's side. Last resort is going to be to pull it out of the fender and make side-exiting exhaust behind (or in front of.. maybe) the doors.

Fuel tank has been fitted with the fuel pump.

Engine and trans was pulled out so we can paint the engine block and fit both the flywheel and clutch. When we did this we found the engine mounts need to be welded in and the trans mounts need to be strengthened in order for them to perform satisfactorily.

I'll update whenever we get back to it!!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

wcrowe wrote:Finding a Radiator that will both properly cool the engine and fit between it and the radiator support (with minimal hacking up of the support)
Lots of radiators out there. Depending on where your engine inlet and outlet are, a VW Rabbit radiator may do the job.

DQ Volume 1 Issue 3 - Installing an Aluminum VW Rabbit Radiator - Looking for an inexpensive upgrade to your 510's cooling system? VW was nice enough to supply the Rabbit with one that fits the 510, with a few simple mods.
wcrowe wrote:Exhaust fitting around the steering box on the driver's side. Last resort is going to be to pull it out of the fender and make side-exiting exhaust behind (or in front of.. maybe) the doors.
I'd suggest you would absolutely hate any exhaust exiting in front of the doors, and most likely any side-exit exhaust you can't get a muffler on. Looking back at your pictures on P1, the exhaust ports are never shown in relation to the steering box. If it ends up you can't get a conventional exhaust path to bolt on, give some thought to routing it forward and wrapping the driver-side exhaust around to meet with the passenger side, ala TVR:

or the Roadkill Rotsun.

Even tightly routing the exhaust in conventional fashion would be better than anything non-muffled, even if it looses a few HP. You're not going to be wanting to power.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

I'll definitely give some thought to that. My concerns there are that I wont have enough room since I think i'll barely have enough room to squeeze a radiator in between the engine and the radiator support.

I'l look again after I've mounted the radiator and all, in the mean time we're just going to run a temporary exhaust setup with hacked up headers and some spare flex exhaust piping to make sure everything runs before we do an elaborate exhaust setup. We do plan on muffling it, perhaps with smaller mufflers under the car if we can make them fit (doubtful... but we haven't looked yet).
Good advise on the radiator though. I'll look into the rabbit radiator, think it can cool a 3.8L V6 reliably?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

wcrowe wrote: I'll look into the rabbit radiator, think it can cool a 3.8L V6 reliably?
Concerning the radiator, I'm thinking that this won't be a good route for you.

I did run this rad on a mild LZ22 with a cam and twin cars - it worked for me and a couple of similarly set up 510's. But a few locals with more radically built cars had problems with this rad cooling them. Also there were a couple KA24's (SOHC and DOHC) locally built by friends that tried this radiator and found it marginal at best. So it's possible that the cooling capacity limit has been reached at that point. Your larger displacement alone may cause issues with this rad. It's a pretty thin rad, which is good for fitment, but not so good for heat transfer. I'd hate to see anyone go thought the effort of fitting a rad only to have the system under engineered.

Maybe others can share their experiences before you utilize this particular radiator.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There is also the VR6 VW radiator, similarly thin to the Rabbit unit. Used in VG conversions. IIRC the original version of the Strutless Wonder ran the VR6 rad.

DQ Volume 1 Issue 4 - Radiator Swap Guide - Still can't decide which radiator to swap in for your aging two-row? We take a look at the most popular radiator swaps to help cool your dime.

As to the exhaust routing, I'd look at running the driver-side forward and under the crank pulley, IF you couldn't get it to go back in a conventional manner. Seems your main sticking point is at the exhaust port, in which case you can go rear just as easy as front, and rear makes 100% more sense.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

I HOPE YOU BUY SOME GOOD JACKSTANDS SOON CUZ THAT FIREWOOD IS GONNA KILL YA!!

Take Care, James
Attachments
20131127_213811_zps4633e0cd.jpg
20131127_213811_zps4633e0cd.jpg (108.25 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
Safety.jpg
Safety.jpg (55.5 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

So Update:
Engine mounts were welded in
fuel tank fitting begun
fuel lines were run
clutch/flywheel/throwout bearing installed
Currently adapting the chevy clutch lines to the Datsun master cylinder (we're going without a brake booster for now, once it's done we may add one)

Next: Finishing fuel lines, mounting ECU in passenger compartment and extending leads, fitting engine harness to engine, shi**y exhaust manifolds, then we'll see if she lives.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

why did you start a project thread in the introductions? the same reason you use fire wood to keep the car up?..
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

Yep. Hate on.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Pictures!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

finn wrote:why did you start a project thread in the introductions?..
good point - I moved it into the projects section
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

Thanks 510rob! I'll post up pics next time I'm around. Kinda an on and off project when I'm at home vs at school!
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

Quick update, sorry I have so few pictures and all.

Wiring is nearly complete, ugly temporary headers were completed so we can properly start it, clutch adaptor was finished.

Next few steps are to finish our wiring, rig up a temporary cooling system and get it started.

Then we'll get real headers made, a permanent cooling system done, and a driveshaft built.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Are you just not sure if the engine is operational? 'Cause I don't understand doubling your work in making temporary solutions you're just going to completely redo once the engine runs.
wcrowe

Post by wcrowe »

We're at the point now where It will "start" on starting fluid. Our injectors were clogged, so we cleared them and one is a little leaky/dribbly so we're replacing it and then we'll start it for real. Hoping to have it started by Thanksgiving. I'll post a start-up video and more images of it then.