1971 2 Door, L16 --> 2.1 Long Rod --> CA18DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
Canadian510

Re: 1971 2 Door 70s build

Post by Canadian510 »

Been driving the car whenever i can and it's been getting a crazy amount of attention, came out from the grocery store the other day and found a few highschool guys taking pictures of it who then started asking all sorts of questions, they actually knew what it was which really surprised me.

U Joints arrived so I'll go about swapping out the bad one soon and hopefully get my l20 out to the shop to get bored to fit my z22 pistons. A buddy of mine keeps filling my head with terrible notions of going modern and swapping in a KA which I'm kind of toying with. KA's are dirt cheap around here (engine/trans/ecu and accessories $300-$500) where just boring the l20 would cost more than that, still need lash pads, clutch/flywheel, and probably some new jets for the webber if i go the 2.1 route. Decisions decisions.

And a few pics from the other day

Last edited by Canadian510 on 15 Nov 2017 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Took both cars to a local show over the long weekend and was very surprised at all the attention the 510 was getting, the mustang must have been getting pretty jealous haha.

I expected to hear the typical "wow haven't seen one of these in years" comments or the "I used to have one of these" which i heard tons of but had quite a few people mention how much they liked the ratty look of it or in general really liked the car. Even had 5 or 6 people say that it was their favorite car there out of the 200+ that showed up and were voting it for people's choice, one guy also kept asking me if i wanted to sell it lol.

Once the show was done pulled the car into the garage and went about swapping out the U-Joints. Picked up a u joint press on sale a few months ago so finally put it to use and man is it a slick tool. Did one axle in the evening and then next morning got the other and the driveshaft done, everyhing cleaned up and the car on the road in a couple hours. I was expecting way worse of a time!

Up next might fiddle with a set of SU carbs i have laying around since my stock one is acting up a little, change the rear end fluid, and get it inspected now that the u joint is fixed. I'm starting to run out of things to do :shock:
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

2DoorJim wrote:Second picture down... your 510!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topi ... times.html
Thanks for the link! Hadn't seen that picture yet
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

A few updates

Started checking over my SU's and found out that they have no gaskets, with that happening i started looking into the edelbrock intake and holley carb i have laying around. Took them both out to a local guy who shortened my driveshaft for me and hopefully will be picking up an adapter to mount the two together tomorrow.

Picked up my bored l20b from the engine shop yesterday after getting it bored, hot tanked, and the z22 pistons mounted on the z20 rods. This time specifically told them not to paint the block (they just painted it black last time) so i can paint it the proper light blue. Will start building it up in the next few days, just waiting on my gasket kit/z22 head gasket, and a new timing set. Going to try and combine the z22 and l20b gasket so i don't have to go purchase one of those crazy expensive big bore l20b ones but we'll see what happens.

And finally taking the car on it's first big road trip this weekend, theres a show about 250km away that a good friend is going to with his RHD SR20 510 that just got running (he's got a build thread on here) so we're trying to get the both of them to it. With maybe half a dozen 510s in the maritimes they'll probably be the only ones there.....If mine doesn't blow up on the highway, fingers crossed :?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Not much in the way of gaskets on SUs, and what there is you can make with a roll of cork. Only real gaskets are at the float bowl lid and at the carb-body-to-manifold interface.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Glad to say the car made it to the show and back with only a minor problem the day I arrived. While driving there the alternator adjustment bolt worked itself loose causing the alternator to not fully charge the battery at highway speeds. Adjusted it and everything went fine since!

My buddies SR powered 510 ended up not being able to make it to the show since his fuel pump crapped out on us while we were cruising the night before, still ended up going to the show with him but with his V8 RWD Cavalier instead.

My buddy was selling some really nice wheels and tires that didn't fit on his stock fendered 510 (13x7 +0) so we tried them on mine, turns out my fenders are pulled a little more than I though because they just tuck inside with no rubbing at all. Even on the 510 strut tubes up front.

A cool pic of the 13km long bridge that connects the island to the mainland

Last edited by Canadian510 on 15 Nov 2017 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Bought a roll of cork today and made up some gaskets for my SU's and was just about to install them when i double checked and noticed there's no floats or valves that go above the float in them either haha. Not sure if I should even bother with them or just buy a jet kit and jet the weber 40s I have down to match the l16 since the only floats I've found so far are $40 each :/
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What do you want from the engine? Stock L16 would work better as a DD/around town with a set of SUs than DCOE 40s.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

okayfine wrote:What do you want from the engine? Stock L16 would work better as a DD/around town with a set of SUs than DCOE 40s.
That's what I was thinking but wanted someone with more experience confirm it for me haha. This is just a "for now" motor until I finish up my 2.1, that being said the stock carb was acting up on the l16 and just wasn't really all that happy with it. Now to track down a spot that sells floats/the valves I need
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Finally got around to painting my 2.1 block and it turned out pretty nice! Ordered my gasket kit so just waiting on it to get here before I can do much else to it.

Last edited by Canadian510 on 15 Nov 2017 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Looks great. I like that colour. Where did you order your gasket kit from? I'm in the market for one too but haven't really tried to locate anything yet. Thanks.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

WxMan wrote:Looks great. I like that colour. Where did you order your gasket kit from? I'm in the market for one too but haven't really tried to locate anything yet. Thanks.
I just grabbed one of the felpro kits of Ebay since the shipping was cheaper then rockauto
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Cool. Thanks for letting me know.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
Canadian510

Post by Canadian510 »

Gasket kit came in today so starting throwing the 2.1 motor together. Right off the bat this kit is 100x better than the one I picked up for my l16 and right around the same price, very happy with it!

Spent most the evening throwing the bottom end together so am now at the point of needing a big bore headgasket. Going to see if I can find a Nismo one, if not I'll probably make one using the z22e and l20b ones.

My adapter should be finished tomorrow for my edelbrock intake and holley carb so I'll hopefully have something to keep me busy for the next bit!

Last edited by Canadian510 on 15 Nov 2017 17:47, edited 1 time in total.