2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by funwithmonkeys » 09 Sep 2016 18:58

Ya....I'm hoping to not have to. It was fully rebuilt 8000km ago. Nwe bearings and seals all around and the oil is still looking like the day it went in. I would like to get my hands on a new bolt to compare to the stripped one to make sure it is not missing some of it.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS » 09 Sep 2016 20:17

come on by man I can give you some bolts, stubs and a spare diff if she has to come out.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 09 Sep 2016 20:22

Cool. Thanks Robyn. I may have to so I may just swing by and grab a spare.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

510rob

Post by 510rob » 09 Sep 2016 20:42

gooned wrote:I'm thinking the whole diff oughta come out to be inspected, but??
+1
RMS wrote:come on by man I can give you some bolts, stubs and a spare diff if she has to come out.
+1

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 10 Sep 2016 09:37

Well the diff is coming out today. I will pop by Monday morning to see you Robyn. I'm going to drop mine off at the shop I got it rebuilt at it get properly inspected. So much for going for a drive this weekend.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 10 Sep 2016 11:59

With OCTOBERFAST around the corner, likely good thing to get checked out!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 10 Sep 2016 12:03

Indeed. The splines on the stubs still look perfect but the only thing holding it in was the CV kit.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 11 Sep 2016 19:45

Well the diff is out. Comparing the 2 bolts there is about 1.5mm missing from one. It has about 8mm of thread left on it. You can see there was some type of impact that sheared of the end of it.

On a lighter note I found a new place that rocks collect in my car. The spring bucket on the lower control arm. They have been getting crushed in between the last loop of the spring. I will have to add that to the list of places to vacuum out after a drive.

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing » 12 Sep 2016 06:26

Wow!! your lucky that bolt didn't back out into the CV. It looks to me like the bolt got cross thredded into the button which may have not been installed squarely into the side gear which tells me your thredded button may also be toast.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 15 Sep 2016 16:30

Well the diff is back and in its place again. There is no damage to the diff itself the threads and the last 1mm of the bolt were just where they should have been. Apparently just the force I applied with my 1/8" drive wrench was what broke it off. It must have been just barely holding on. The axle stubs feel nice and tight now. It is slightly quieter now also. The tech said everything in there looks great. I brought it home thinking I would be able to get the Redding Shockproof gear oil up here and there is none to be found on the coast at all. I ended up putting in the Royal Purple 75w140. I will see how it feels with that in and maybe just change it out if I don't like it. I took her for a short drive and all seems good so far. That is except for the clunky CV's

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 15 Sep 2016 17:18

You have an LSD, right Norm?

Might want some GM LSD oil additive, it helps. The clutched in the diff will tell you if they are not liking life without the additive :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 15 Sep 2016 18:50

Oh I remember Byron.....when I first got it i thought there was something wrong. It sounded like a bag of hammers. The Royal Purple has a friction modifier in it. I will see how it does by itself and if it needs something I have it to add here at home.

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 28 Sep 2016 16:12

Well as some of you already know my car was hit yesterday. I was waiting to go through the booths in the ferry lineup and the guy in front of me backed into my car.

The guy admitted it was his fault and ICBC has said they will pay to have the damage repaired. It could have been worse. I was backing up to get away from him and my car popped out of gear. I was on the horn the whole time and the guy didn't even tough his brakes till after he hit me. I think about how it would have been if I had not backed up and am happy I was moving backwards when he hit me. The hood, rad support, valence , rad, fans and drivers fender are damaged. I have already spoke to Tyson at Big Time Motors and he is going to do the repairs for me.
Surprisingly the headlights and headlight trim made it without damage and the hood trim has only the smallest dent.
I have to say I have not felt that sad about something in a very long time. It was very upsetting to think that someone who just wasn't paying attention could do this much damage to something I care this much about. As angry and upset as I was I did not yell at him, curse at him or hit him like I so wanted to. I just asked him what he would have done if it had been a person walking behind him? I can only hope he is more careful in the future.

GREG510

Post by GREG510 » 28 Sep 2016 16:37

Well that sure does suck. like you said could of been worse.
Still looks nasty though. from the one picture ,looks like the water pump hit the rad pretty good

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys » 28 Sep 2016 16:42

It did. You can clearly see the imprint of the pully in the rad...even the bolts. At least the rad is soft so hopefully it dissipated the energy instead of the motor.