2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by bertvorgon »

Where can I grab the 2017's?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I will check on Monday again. I called about 15 shops yesterday. I think most of them order from the same place. The date code is easy for them to check.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Shall we buy a set each? By the time I finish this set off, then the next set.....I will be 70......how insane is that????
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I am thinking about it. I'm going to see how long it takes to get rid of these.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I went out to my first autoX on Saturday. It was drizzling the whole way to the event and through the first heat. I was driving in the 3rd and 6th heats. There were just a few puddles left on track for my first time on track and it was dry for my 2nd heat. I started at a 55.931 and was down to 48.760 by the end of the first heat. In the 2nd heat I started at 48.817 with my times going down every run till I pushed a nit too hard coming out of the hairpin twice in a row resulting BIG power slides and large amounts of rubber left of the track with times in the 48's. On the last run I got it down 47.155. I'm happy with how it went. I can see a lot of time left on the table. After watching the faster guys and what I was doing I think I can pick up a bunch in the pivot spots and in the 2 slalom sections. I never really got into the brakes really hard either so I am sure there is a bunch to gain there.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

What was FAST time?

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Best time was a 40.9. It was a very fast miata on Hoosier slicks. Fastest time not on slicks was just above 43.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I me up with the guys from Roads Untraveled and let them try out my car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84URY_QXPE
They mounted a mic in front of the carbs so all the sound from the outside shots is from the intake.
Fred_L-P

Post by Fred_L-P »

Awesome! You have one of my favorite rides on this forum and I'm aiming at a similar setup. Great work, keep it up!
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Nice work Norm! Congrats on such a stellar review of your car.
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Nice to see you/ them driving right in my back yard as well! Fun little blast along Dewdney?
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

funwithmonkeys wrote:I me up with the guys from Roads Untraveled and let them try out my car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84URY_QXPE
They mounted a mic in front of the carbs so all the sound from the outside shots is from the intake.
This came up on my YouTube recommended viewing, then came to the forum to to share my thoughts. Love the t shirt and beard :lol: I need to up my game.

Your car looks and sounds AMAZING! It also looks like it has so much grip and is excellent handling. Great video. When you get to the track, take a camera with you, I could listen to this engine sing all day. 8)
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Thanks guys.
It was a lot of fun. I have never driven back there before. There are a few fun roads in that area. He was amazed at how fast he could go into a corner. I kept telling him he could dive in faster. He only got up to and 6/10. I drove him around once and he was blown away that I never used the brakes. I'm going to try to get the GoPro going on my next Autox day. I could listen to that motor all day also. Marcus only got near the redline once. It would have been nice to have a mic on the exhaust also so you could hear all the pops and crackles she makes when you come off the throttle.

In other news I put on the new tires yesterday and ran them through a heat cycle. They are almost the same as the A050's. An every so much softer sidewall. If anything I think the A048's are better suited to our light cars. They don't follow the lines in the road as bad as the A050 and the car seems to rotate better. It's amazing how much more grip new tires have over the 3 year old ones. The old tires were also almost completely a slick in the center on two of them. The other 2 were halfway through the wear bars. I might have been able to get another drive out of them but even a small puddle would have been an issue. I'm going for a drive later today to put them through their paces.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I can hardly wait!!! Thanks Norm!!

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I just got back from a good drive to really test out the tires. Wow do I love them, they are everything good about the A050's with way better road manners. I have to run with higher pressures but nothing ridiculous. The 50's wanted to follow every little crack or line in the road, these do not. You turn in hard and they set right away, I know what the back of the car is doing and what it will do to inputs from my hands and right foot. The car is rotating better in sharp, hard on the throttle turns without feeling like it is going to loose traction. The 48's are softer on the bumps and imperfections in the road. Those little reflectors on the road no longer sound like I just went through a giant pot hole. Turn in is almost as sharp and the limit is still higher than I would want to find on a public road. They come up to temp just as fast as the 50's and are only about 1lb more per corner. I am happy, I can't wait for our next drive.