2.3L of fun

View and post your 510 project(s)
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: 2.3L of fun

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I am getting them from Quebec. Wheelwhiz.ca. I can get them at a good discount also. I am looking forward to seeing how they hold up and perform. This set is a test set and are the latest compound. For all the guys running 13's it would be great to have a R comp tire that is affordable and not Toyo.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Thanks for the info on these tires. I'm leaning toward ordering a set of the 185/60 R13. For the record it is http://www.wheelwiz.ca Did you have to special order yours? If so, what was the wait time? I'm just curious. My car has been on jack stands for over four years so obviously I'm the patient type...
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

He has the 15s in stock. I don't know about the 13s. They took under a week to get for me. If you call and speak to Robert he will be able to let you know timing on them. Tell him Norm with the 510 sent you. When I was looking for A048s he had the best price and was the most knowledgeable I spoke to. I have now got 4 sets of tires from him and he always gives me a good price.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Wow, are they ever responsive! I emailed them regarding availability and Robert got back to me within 15 minutes! Sadly, his response was "Unfortunately we will not be getting any of the 13" tires this season :( We have had a lot of demand for them and we will likely get them in for next year. Apologies for the inconvenience."
Bummer.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Now is the time then to buy Keith's 15" Rikens for these wonderful tires!!!!

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30680
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Just an FYI while we are on the topic of tires. My 048's now have 5,000 miles on them, and most of you know what our drives are like, so you can extrapolate from that. The center is just getting to the wear bar and the outer edges have maybe an 1/8th left. That is with running 30 PSI, so maybe a bit hard but I like the feel at that pressure. I am debating whether to pitch them as we head into summer. This year would be the 4th year on the tires, so they have hardened a tad. I have rotated them and the actual evenness of the wear is very, very good!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Ha ha, yes Keith, I saw those. I have my heart set on 13" wheels and tires though. What I want is your spare Nissan Comp transmission, but I don't have that kind of cash!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As these Transmission are "Unobtanium" now, there is no amount of cash that could make me part with that.
It is in MINT condition, I was so lucky to score that.

I still think those 15 would look GREAT on you car...... :lol: :wink:

Keith Law
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

Ha ha, yes, I know, but thanks for rubbing it in. :)

...and now back to our Norm-al programming...
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

What are the your gear ratio's Keith? They make close ratio gear sets for the SR trans which is pretty easy to adapt to an L series motor. I looked into the ratio's. Not much improvement in my mind on our track layout. They look to be made more for road racing.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I am happy with my ratios and my 4:62 combo. On 20" or 21" race tires, it was dynamic, as 2nd and 3rd were awesome at most of our solo's back in the day, before the course's got stupidly small and short. It helped to have that 8,000 RPM redline too.

1) 2.906
2) 1.902
3) 1.308
4) 1.000
5) .864

Now with my 23" street tires...it feels just fine.....

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Wow your gear ratio's are my stock gears, besides first. This chart refers to a SR20DET I have the DE trans which the only difference is 5th gear is .85x
If you ever have an issue it will be easy to find another trans with the same gear set.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Included: 5 gears kit and Strengthened Main Shaft
GEAR RATIOS:
1st: 2.596 (3.321 OEM)
2nd: 1.765 (1.902 OEM)
3rd: 1.250 (1.308 OEM)
4th: 1.000 (1.000 OEM)
5th: 0.833 (0.759 OEM)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I did have a transmission once with that .759, hated it for racing ( hillclimbs) Even with 20" tall race tires and the revs up there, when I would go to 5th at the hillclimb, the car just laid down, felt like a wet dish rag. That 5th gear set up is only if you really want and can pull some top end and want way lower revs on the highway, sure would not be my choice even today.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have the zx transmission now. It has the gears below with .745 overdrive and I love it. At 8000 in 4th with my 4.44 gears I am doing 197kmph...yes it lays down in 5th but I don't need to go much faster. I will take the lower rpm on the highway and just have to be on the ball and downshift early when I want to pass or catch someone.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote:I did have a transmission once with that .759, hated it for racing ( hillclimbs) Even with 20" tall race tires and the revs up there, when I would go to 5th at the hillclimb, the car just laid down, felt like a wet dish rag. That 5th gear set up is only if you really want and can pull some top end and want way lower revs on the highway, sure would not be my choice even today.
I can see that, it just depends on how we all use our cars. I wish I could use 5th gear at the track!!!