View and post your 510 project(s)
tedneugent

Re: 510 Turbo Diesel

Post by tedneugent »

Heres what the car looked like to start:

Filling the holes:

Here we go Diesel on the way:

First test install:
Last edited by tedneugent on 19 Feb 2013 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

Flippity flop:

Custom seat rails, I think I stole the idea from Dan G. Dont remember for sure where I saw this first.

I think thats all the pictures I have, had a hard drive crash and lost a lot of them. I will look around some more.
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

Looking through things I found some other unrelated stuff I've either built or worked on.

Anyone seen Pete Brocks V8 510, this is what it looked like to start:
He spent an ungodly amount of money on this thing.

My S15:

Thats it for now
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Derek asked me to vandalize your thread and put forth that the engine is actually an LD20T-II.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

that's quite the experience! i would have loved to be a wallflower through any of those builds.that S15 intercooler piping is interesting. what kind of intercooler is that? or is it something else? that could solve an issue for me...
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

finn wrote:that's quite the experience! i would have loved to be a wallflower through any of those builds.that S15 intercooler piping is interesting. what kind of intercooler is that? or is it something else? that could solve an issue for me...
I was wondering the same thing!
looking for pass. side arm rest
510rob

Post by 510rob »

barrel style liquid to air intercooler

some examples --> http://www.frozenboost.com/index.php?cP ... e8b778f6ed
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

okayfine wrote:Derek asked me to vandalize your thread and put forth that the engine is actually an LD20T-II.
To further that...

As you said, the engine is an LD20T-II and not an LD20T. LD20T was first gen with L20B block and diesel head. Lots of problems. LD20T-II had a completely new block and internals that are much stronger and reinforced. Engine was designed as a diesel from day 1 and not some hybrid experiment. LD20T-II is what any diesel owner would want. :mrgreen:
datsunfreak

Post by datsunfreak »

This would be the dinosaur LD20T engine...

tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

Ah yes its actually an LD20T II, I told you I was lazy.

And as pointed out the IC was an air to water setup. It worked fairly well, pyro's on it and although I dont remember the temps exactly I do remember it stayed fairly cool. It was a bit of a pain though as I had a bigass water tank in the trunk and assorted piping to get it to the front.
Heres the guage cluster:
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

I see many indicators of craftsmanship and experience here. Did you find the liquid-to-air intercooler system to be worthwhile after all? That would depend on how complex the (dedicated?) liquid system for the intercooler was, I'd bet. I can't know, but would GUESS that your decision came from a lack of available room for an (air) intercooler in the 510, and your choice not to cut the rad support and/or remove headlights to make room.

It seems liquid-to-air intercoolers have a potentially significant advantage of minimizing pressure and flow drop of the charge air, via a reduced exhange surface area and the ability to have shorter plumbing.

So THAT begs the question, why is liquid-to-air not used more over air-to-air? Would you suppose that the added complexity (and weight?) of the liquid coolant system is the only reason? The weight of that system could be placed where wanted (like you did in the trunk) with respect to desired weight balance.

I'm working on a Vg30et 510, and have NO plans (yet) for an intercooler. It is as stock (no intercooler) from the Z31's. I fully realize that this is suboptimal (Corky Bell's quote comes to mind..), but I liked the "feel" of VG30et with the short charge-pipe non-intercooled system even in the heavy 300zx donor with a 3.3:1 rear diff, so I expect to be happy with my car's 3.7 or 3.9 and 500kg less weight to move.

200-200 hp in a low-pressure 3.0 turbo delivery seems like it should be plenty to get me started (esp with the chassis to be sorted out) but I don't suppose I'm any more immune than most to the "addictive nature of horsepower" - and suppose any long-term plan ought to include plans for more...

I'd thought that if I did pursue more power (which would necessitate intercooling), I'd try a water/alcohol/meth injection system, with the obvious limitation being cooling capacity is limited and the "water/meth" is consumed and therefore supply-limited.

SO! If you built that SR20DET again, would you do it the same, in terms of charge air cooling, based on the results? Inquiring minds want to know, especially given your evident open-mindedness with respect to 510 swaps.... cool diesel!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

datsunfreak wrote: To further that...

LD20T was first gen with L20B block and diesel head. Lots of problems. LD20T-II had a completely new block and internals that are much stronger and reinforced. Engine was designed as a diesel from day 1 and not some hybrid experiment. LD20T-II is what any diesel owner would want. :mrgreen:

Glad this came up. L20B came first? LD20 later?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

L20 woulda come first. :wink:
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

blueridgespeed:

I found the liquid-to-air intercooler system to be worthwhile only in that the car was pristine condition and I did not want to hack up the front for an intercooler.
I think they are probably more efficient per size but way more complexity and I dont think now after running one worth the trouble.

You dont need an intercooler if you run low boost but I think you will quickly tire of that and want to up the boost. Really need around 10 psi or more in most cases to get that turbo kick.

Just my personal opinion but I would stay away from h20 injection, I ran one once and wasn't really happy with it. They do work but just more crap to worry about and maintain. I built an L20 turbo with a VNT turbo that I ran water injection. Vnt turbos are really cool by the way but more of a novelty I think. I had trouble getting the rings to seat in the engine partly because I used TotalSeal rings(suck) and my machine shop was an old school guy and he bored the cylinders for what they used to use for forged pistons.
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

TedNugent
-good info on the intercooler setups and H20 injection. I appreciate learning from your experience. The z31 guys say 10 psi is safe with the stock (non-intercooled) VG30et, and we have 93 octane gas available.