510 Turbo Diesel

View and post your 510 project(s)
tedneugent

510 Turbo Diesel

Post by tedneugent »

Never got around to posting anything about my build until now. Bought an LD20T a few years ago from a place down in LA.
thought it would be interesting since I've built about everyother kind of turbo charged 510.
Anyway here are some picture and vid's. Thinking about getting rid of it to buy an airplane so if interested pm me.

tedneugent

Re: 510 Turbo Diesel

Post by tedneugent »

The LD20 is basically an L series block with a cast iron head. I used a dogleg 5speed which is the same bolt pattern. Thing has loads of torque and doesnt rev very high.

tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Well I guess there is a first time for everything,ha ha.Very nice build,we'll done! Good luck with the sale.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

that is a slick choice of motors 8) 8) 8) 8) nice ride.put some fold out wings on it and keep it. :wink:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
TerryHackman
Supporter

Post by TerryHackman »

Here I'll sell you this one. Just needs a little TLC and it'll be flying in no time a Beechcraft Staggerwing.
Attachments
015.JPG
015.JPG (155.79 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

Thanks Terry but that is a little rougher than I am looking for. Looks more like a beach broken wing.
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

Oh I forgot one of the reasons I built this was to save gas on commuting. Havent taken the time to really watch the milage but a couple tanks looked like I was getting close to 50mpg
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Thats a cool swap..a 510 stump puller :lol:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm more than curious Ted, how tweaked is the LD20? It appears to have some get up and go built in, yet didn't the turbo version of that motor barely crack 100 HP?
But it does look clean, nice job for sure.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I love it, great project. More details please, hp and tq figures! What's the cost of diesel in your area, it's pretty high on the east coast.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Very clean build! Well done.
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

The motor is stock and it definitely is a stump puller. I dont know for sure the exact figures on hp etc. Had all kind of plans to put it on a dyno, buy spare motor and pump up etc, got lazy and well you know how projects fade.
So I dont remember who but someone said HP sells cars torque wins races. This thing is no SR20det but way more drivable and powerful than any pumped up L series I have ever driven. Mounds of torque, I am running an R180 with 3.33 gears and it will smoke the tires with no problem. Put the 3.3 in so I could get the revs down for freeway driving, worried about what that would do to driveability but it made little difference. It has so much torque you can start from a dead stop from 2nd or 3rd with little bogging.
I had to make the pass side motor mount and flip the crosssmember but it pretty much fit other than that. Used a carrol trans mount and the stock driver side mount fit. Had to have a custom made sway bar made because of the shape of the pan, still need to install.
Front coil overs on stock struts with adj cas/cam, rear is stock except for one of those cool adjustable cam/cas setups from Aus which I highly recommend. They sell a weld in kit which I think were waterjet cut brackets, cant remember the company but there are only two.
Put all new lines, rubber seals, welded all the holes up, pretty much your general run of the mill restore. That is except for my coolass carbon fiber strut tower caps. Probably some things I am forgetting but that is the general scoop.
Thanks for all the compliments
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

Oh just remembered a couple interesting things. These engines have no butterfly valve, the throttle is direct to the injection pump. So one of the consequences is there is no vacuum which is no problem for an old 510. To solve this problem for a modern vehicle they put a vacuum pump on the back of the alternator and if I remember right I think it had an oil feed from the engine. I removed all of this crap and used a Chevy alt which has turned out to work really well. Also had what I originally thought was an oil cooler built into the oil filter assembly but later figured out it was actually an oil heater for colder climates. I removed all of that junk too which made it much easier to fit in the engine bay.
tedneugent

Post by tedneugent »

found some more pictures:

Here is the engine when I got it.