Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

Post by bertvorgon »

Sounds like a CONSPIRACY to me...we better strike a committee to look into that.

I'm glad this cropped up, as the new ones are so nice and fit the wrench perfectly. Even the hose nipple is not as worn.

I'm hoping to TD the car this Sunday, as the weather finally looks to be good. Blast over to Specialty, bed the brakes in a tad and see how the carb jetting is doing.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Wow, was that fun! Nice sunny but cool day, perfect for some boost and brake bed.

One does forget how fast these cars are after driving our 3,500 Lbs sleds for 6 months. Brakes felt like crap as I rolled out of the plant. I de-greased some parts of the engine bay, then washed the whole car and wiped it down in the warm sun. Grill and mirror look a lot better if I do not say so myself.

I drove around the back lot of my work for some laps, just making sure things seemed to be ok, and then rode the brakes a tad. The rattles I had were gone, so the heat shield definitely was the culprit on that one, plus my aluminium finishing panel in the back seat area.

With the old race carb now having a venturi in the secondary, the old bog is gone! I gave it a few blasts on #91 but it is so hard to drive fast, watch for traffic and watch for police, it is virtually impossible that time of day. I braked hard a few times and can feel the brake pads getting better and the new front rotors eliminated the pedal pulse I had.

As I headed off to #10 and Andy's shop, I the the brakes really hard, the g-force quite impressive on decel. Once I got onto the side road to Andy's shop I let'er rip, fighting for traction all the way to 5th gear, then nailed the brakes, putting me hard into the seat belts. COOL!!!

Colin Jackson was at Andy's, checking out his car after tire testing for GoodYear at Button Willow. Colin broke the lap record for GT3 again, smoked it actually. Goodyears tires turned out to be too soft for Colin, much to the shock of the Goodyear engineers. Next race and test will be at Portland and Colin has qualified for the SCCA Runoff at Indy now.

I headed to White Rock, figuring I might as well get some driving in, and, pick up my Garmin which I use as a speedometer, forgot it this morning. Car was running just perfectly. I did another brake heading off at the Pink palace at the end of #99.

Traffic was heavy heading back into Richmond, so it was just a cruise watching temps and the Wide band, again being so hard with traffic about.

Ready for a season of driving, Knox is but two weeks away now and of course the 510 day next week..
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Cleaning out the camera today, here are a few pictures, one of the new bleeders on the BMW caliper.

You never know what will show up at Specialty Engineering. This mud bogger was there to get running. Andy built the 700 HP engine for him.
Attachments
IMGP2150 (Small).JPG
IMGP2150 (Small).JPG (130.36 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
IMGP2149 (Small).JPG
IMGP2149 (Small).JPG (130.49 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
IMGP2148 (Small).JPG
IMGP2148 (Small).JPG (77.9 KiB) Viewed 2669 times

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Nice I was there last week and he had Harry's Moke on the lift.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Beegee2

Post by Beegee2 »

Hi Bert,
Your trims are in much better condition than mine and the first piece that the staples go through are badly affected by ferrous oxide, must have come from a wetter area of ‘merica. As you say those staples are very tenacious and don’t let go easily. I think I’ll probably need to replace the first piece of metal that the staples go through and then carefully drill through and use small pop rivets to hold it all together, then file/grind them down (carefully) so they don’t stick out to far to snag on anything. As you also suggest, what is the purpose of the glue? Don’t think I’m going to worry about that either! There is a firm in Australia that are making reproduction squeegees and they are excellent quality and they sell sets , inner and outer for two and four door 1600’s (you call them 510’s). Check them out on eBay.com.au under datsun 1600. AU$60.00 for two door and double that for four door. Thanks for your comprehensive write up, much appreciated. Bernie.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Beegee2 wrote:Hi Bert,
Your trims are in much better condition than mine and the first piece that the staples go through are badly affected by ferrous oxide, must have come from a wetter area of ‘merica. As you say those staples are very tenacious and don’t let go easily. I think I’ll probably need to replace the first piece of metal that the staples go through and then carefully drill through and use small pop rivets to hold it all together, then file/grind them down (carefully) so they don’t stick out to far to snag on anything. As you also suggest, what is the purpose of the glue? Don’t think I’m going to worry about that either! There is a firm in Australia that are making reproduction squeegees and they are excellent quality and they sell sets , inner and outer for two and four door 1600’s (you call them 510’s). Check them out on eBay.com.au under datsun 1600. AU$60.00 for two door and double that for four door. Thanks for your comprehensive write up, much appreciated. Bernie.
That would be "America" not 'merica ok?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon