Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Bert Vorgon's Spring Maintenance Project

Post by bertvorgon »

Methanol injection system. One solenoid triggers at 10 PSI (low) and the second triggers at 12-14 PSI.

Here is a picture showing just how short my runs are to the motor, for best response.
Attachments
turbo3 (Small).jpg
turbo3 (Small).jpg (57.43 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
IMG_3725.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG (118.88 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
the Works!.JPG
the Works!.JPG (127.7 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Got my horns mounted up today, picked a spot just below the left edge of the bottom rad support, underneath side. I wanted them facing down and protected a bit from car washing and rain. They are LOUD!!!! The horn button will be hooked up next, but I foresee no problems there. The wiring is easy to get at, as I left a nice long pigtail on there, so unplugging is easy to do.

Next will be the right turn signal light.

Rad is re-painted and the fan will be remounted tomorrow AM, ready to go back into car once turn light wiring is done.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Got a lot more done this week, number 1 was finishing the horn install. James and I did a bit of a back to back horn test, with the factory horns not quite as loud, and having a decidedly American car sound. The Honda Odyssey horns have of course the shriller and louder Japanese sound, and guaranteed they will get anybody's attention who crosses my path! I mounted the horns on the bolt holes used for the belly pan, so it worked out perfectly. Here is the link to my Vimeo file. Sorry if the video loads slowly on the first go round, I did not know how to change the file format.

http://vimeo.com/60304404

The inter-cooler sprayers are now cleaned out, I have access to real nitric acid, so that takes care of any crap in the fittings in a heart beat. PHOOF!
The methanol sprayers were checked, pressurized, and the flow checked.
I have run a wire to the right side as the running light, and have tapped back into the turn signal harness, so I'm ready for some sort of light there in the corner.

I ordered up some window channel felt, as I might as well start with a well sealed window, and the stuff is still available from Nissan. I will of course do the passenger retro fit, and I am now thinking of making the driver side back to glass also.

Keith Law
qship510

Post by qship510 »

Keith, was your car ever caged?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

No, it never had a full cage. At the time I was hill climbing, a full cage was not required, just a legal roll bar, that is still in the car. I was used as the example at Knox Mountain, in 1997, as a street driven car going faster than some Formula cars, so they changed the rule in 1998 requiring a full cage. I don't disagree with them.

That roll bar saved my life as it was in my 1972 510, that got Flipped on the Sea to Sky Highway (1978), when a young fellow in a 4 x 4 truck forced me off road. I took it out of the 72', carefully winched it into the 73'...and there it lives to this day.

You can see on the roof where the roll bar is, it really did keep the roof from collapsing down, as witness's said I was 2 feet in the air...UPSIDE down, when it came down on that corner...SNIFF...SNIFF... :cry:

Why did you ask...?
Attachments
IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG (103.25 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
MY CAR AFTER ROLLOVER 1978.jpg
MY CAR AFTER ROLLOVER 1978.jpg (186.25 KiB) Viewed 3910 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Today I hooked up my intake system and the methanol spray system.

I am going out to Princess Auto tomorrow and see if I can find a small yellow light(s) that will do as a turn/running light. I have a very small place to work with, so we will see. I do not want to block the oil cooler in any way. I think a small LED would be great, even if the light quality will be different than the driver side stocker, it's only for night driving anyhow.

I am going to make a funnel/flush Rube Goldberg dealy to clear the block and heater of old coolant also, while on jack stands. Once that is done, I can re-install the rad and move on to the waste gate.

Keith Law
qship510

Post by qship510 »

bertvorgon wrote:No, it never had a full cage. ...
Why did you ask...?
I'm in the seamwelding stage with my car, and I'm torn as to whether I want to cage my car or not. Just wondering how the shell has held up on R-Compound tires and slicks without a full cage.

Thanks!
Jerry
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Jerry,

From the best of my observations, the car is amazing considering the forces applied over 27 years of racing on slicks, then of course 10's of thousands of miles of street driving. In a few key areas, we have seen no sign of fatigue at all. Even where my 1 1/8" anti roll bars mounts were welded to the chassis, they are still as is since 1983/84. I have sen no separation any where on the car.

Way back,we tested the frames for flex, and if Andy at Specialty had thought it was necessary to seam weld, he would have. All that being said, the only place I do get some flex is actually at the door openings, it does twist a bit there. I guess you could say my handling has been designed around that, the front points where it is supposed to go, we fixed any bump steer issues, so it is pretty impeccable IMHO.

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

that's amazing! smacked up both fenders and the roof but the hood looks unscathed along with the mirror?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

If you look closely, you can see the painted blasted off the edge of the mirror. The car SNAPPED sideways and up into the air so fast, it just cleared that side of the car, just touching the mirror, as it rotated. I was upside down as I went across the highway...I can still see the highway and white line...upside down...what is wrong with this picture...as clear as day in my mind...then as it came down on the corner, it was just at the new edge of highway....that caused me to flip back onto 4 wheels, facing the opposite way I had come. This happened at Porteau Cove, as it was being made into the park it is today.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I made a successful run to Princess auto, got out without spending too much.

I grabbed two amber lights, LED, which SHOULD work. I gutted them from their trailer style housing, made an aluminum back plate for them, then siliconed them into place. It looks like they should mount right into the space below the grill, and next to the oil cooler opening. I will have to modify the oil inlet deflector a tad, no biggy though. One light will be the running light, the other will be the turn signal. Function will be the word here.

I am making a small wiring harness, so that I can easily disconnect the lights from the extensions to the factory plugs.

Pictures to follow tomorrow, as I am going in at the crack of dawn to work on this, and get the radiator back in and buttoned up.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yesterday I got 6 productive hours into the car. It's amazing how what seems to be the simplest project, just takes time.
I made a small harness for the turn/running light, and of course had to put on the mating electrical connectors from the wiring harness's. As much as we don't do that much driving ever in the rain, I still wanted the connections to be fairly water resistant, as the car does get washed a lot. I tested the lights AGAIN, making sure everything worked ok, as once the radiator is in place, the wiring is not accessable in the engine compartment. With the lengths established, I decided to just use a small amount of silicone to mount the light module in place. I taped it down while it cured.
After taking two tries, I got the air deflector cut out for the oil cooler intake, then siliconed that into place.
That done, I could now drop the rad into place. I did not refill as I need to get some de-mineralized water next week. The inter cooler is always a tight fit going back in, as the bottom hose sits in a bit of a saddle that is right behind the drivers turn signal. I made the cooler so it basically "floats" with any slight engine movement.
With the cooler and rad in, it was just a matter of hooking back up all the methanol hoses and spray systems, then connecting the pyro's. So far, other than getting two pyro's switched, MURPHY left me alone. As I had the "fog" nozzles out to clean, for the inter cooler spray, I will do a spray pattern test before I drive the car. With the two nozzle's, I get 100% coverage over the surface of the cooler.
While I had all the stuff out, I did a hot lap of all the bolts and nuts on the front of the motor, finding the two 10MM ones on the head were quite loose. This will be my 12th year on this motor, so far so good, Andy is pretty impeccable on his engine building, and takes great care with gaskets and seals during installation.
Not sure if I like the lights, my options were quite limited really. As I wanted to match the amber, most trailer lights are round, and only have a single light to them. That presented a problem as I needed both a running light AND turn light. I maybe could have cruised the wreckers, but, getting something to fit into the small space would have been tough. I watched cars driving around me for weeks, looking at their lights, and saw nothing suitable. I settled on the LED ones, so the light quality is markedly different, side to side. I almost think I could squeeze the LED ones behind the stock lens on the left, which might look more the same, have to think about that. These were not expensive, 7.00 each, and the LED board is sealed, so water will not be an issue...hopefully. I think when the car is back on the ground, they may not stand out as much, let me know what you think. Again, function had to be the priority.
I am going to tackle the door project next, my window felt will be here in a week. I will strip the donor door, both to get the mechanism out, clean and lube everything, and, clean the glass. I did a trim removal test last week, for the outer window squeegee, that worked well, with no bending or distortion. I will post up a picture later, with measurement of where the friction clips are, so you will know where to pry up. Thanks to James, we have a selection of trims, so we can see how consistent the factory was. I am looking forward to the door project, it will be nice to have TWO functional windows after all these years, and maybe the car might be a tad quieter...Hah! As the Lexan is thinner than the glass, the wind buffeting moves the Lexan, so it chatters a hair in the window channel.
Attachments
IMGP4985 (Medium).JPG
IMGP4985 (Medium).JPG (102.9 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
IMGP4986 (Medium).JPG
IMGP4986 (Medium).JPG (96.75 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
IMGP4991 (Medium).JPG
IMGP4991 (Medium).JPG (72.32 KiB) Viewed 3744 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP4995 (Medium).JPG
IMGP4995 (Medium).JPG (101.74 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
IMGP4992 (Medium).JPG
IMGP4992 (Medium).JPG (149.61 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
IMGP4993 (Medium).JPG
IMGP4993 (Medium).JPG (132.88 KiB) Viewed 3744 times

Keith Law
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

:mrgreen: Lookin' good Keith! :mrgreen:
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

In the top pic the signal light looks good. I think once you get everything back together a person {or Smokey} will have to do a double take to notice the right signal. The important thing is the car will be more road friendly/safer with the new horns and light. Go ahead and toot your own horn {s} on a job well done Keith… :mrgreen:
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.