'72 Sedan "Do It Right" build - denis.drc

View and post your 510 project(s)
denis.drc

Re: '72 Sedan "Do It Right" build - denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

Byron510 wrote:
Well, being the machinist that I am, all my nipples were machined out of solid stock, no forming done. But your approach is much more elegant if you don't mind me saying so.
Nice work.
Byron
Elegant...I don't mind you saying so at all. Thank you!
I also am a fan of machining nipples and other ends when possible. (I love having an excuse to use the lathe..) But, the thinner wall aluminum tubing is MUCH cheaper and sometimes fits the bill very well.
(Having a reason to roll a bead into something is yet another way to justify using a specialty tool.. )

akara wrote:Awesome job on the radiator upgrade man!! Your skills are really shining through here!
As someone who also reps the L16 I also gotta give you props on choosing to stick with it!
gunna keep an eye on this :D :D :D
Thank you sir! We'll see how much more I'll squeeze out of the little L-series.
When you truly love your project, you won't cut corners!
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

Nothing much done lately. Just considering where I want to go next.

I did add an AEM Wide-band air/fuel ratio gauge.

It's actually very informative and allowed me to tune a carbs quite a bit.

I've also been working on setting up some kind of sound system. Hopefully I can get some audio installed this weekend.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

That O2 sensor is going to come in handy when you turbo charge it... Please! :wink:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

Where's your radio going to go now?
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

RonM wrote:That O2 sensor is going to come in handy when you turbo charge it... Please! :wink:
Are those words of encouragement? :wink:

shacks510 wrote:Where's your radio going to go now?
I got that figured out! :idea: Hoping to work on that this weekend...
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

denis.drc wrote: Are those words of encouragement? :wink:
IF you consider begging as a form of encouragement than yes. Or maybe I was cracking the door to the inevitable. :mrgreen: Given the environment you work in, your skill level, and the modifications you've done already, my guess is you won't be able to keep your hands off of it for long. As a performance platform, a naturally aspirated L16 leaves a bit to be desired. IMHO, Nostalgia has it's place in the right context, but Dude you already put a roll cage in it, so game on. :twisted:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

RonM
You "FI" guys are always looking for another "NA" guy to convert to the dark side LOl
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

RonM wrote: IF you consider begging as a form of encouragement than yes. Or maybe I was cracking the door to the inevitable. :mrgreen: Given the environment you work in, your skill level, and the modifications you've done already, my guess is you won't be able to keep your hands off of it for long. As a performance platform, a naturally aspirated L16 leaves a bit to be desired. IMHO, Nostalgia has it's place in the right context, but Dude you already put a roll cage in it, so game on. :twisted:

I can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.. Honestly, I do want more power, but haven't decided how I plan to go about it. As you said, nostalgia is pretty much out the window. The gears are definitely turning. I really want do something unique...

Bike papa wrote:RonM
You "FI" guys are always looking for another "NA" guy to convert to the dark side LOl
LoL...I think this would be the dark side of FI:

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Very Interesting
Attachments
VeryInterethting.jpg
VeryInterethting.jpg (14.27 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

Was hoping to work on a sound system this weekend but had to tend to more pressing business.

I'm planning a complete overhaul of the project. No so much a different direction, but definitely a HUGE change from where things are now.

In planning the future of the car, I realized that I wouldn't be able to do the major aspects of the fabrication at work due to the associated down-time. In turn, that meant I had to beef up the 'home shop' just a little...

First things first.. Got myself a couple of new toys!

A variable speed band-saw and a couple blades:

A brand spanking new fully programmable 'inverter' TIG welder!

I've wanted for A LONG time. Transformer analog machines are great. I learned on one, used one for years, but always felt that I could improve weld quality with a better machine.

Anyway, enough blabbing, here she is:

I also picked a water cooled torch and a water cooler for the TIG.

I already had this MIG...but, here it is anyway..

I didn't want my trusty MIG to feel left out, so Instead of making another cart for the MIG, TIG, & Future Plasma Cutter to sit on, I decided to build a new mulch-tiered cart w/work surface.

Planned it out.

Picked up some materials.

Then got to work. (Excuse the mess in the garage.)

and then........I ran out of metal! Bummer...I'll get more today or tomorrow and get back to it..
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

you only run out of metal when you're fabbing like a mofo!

-been there, less often than I'd like!, but been there!

nice work!

(my tig stays inside on concrete, but my my second Mig cart is upright for storage reasons, and fitted with "offroad" tires for easy transport outside an across the gravel...or into my truck and over to friend's houses where welding is always needed....
Attachments
millerblue2.JPG
millerblue2.JPG (176.52 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
weldingcart2.JPG
weldingcart2.JPG (233.2 KiB) Viewed 3820 times
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

blueridgespeed wrote:you only run out of metal when you're fabbing like a mofo!

-been there, less often than I'd like!, but been there!

nice work!

(my tig stays inside on concrete, but my my second Mig cart is upright for storage reasons, and fitted with "offroad" tires for easy transport outside an across the gravel...or into my truck and over to friend's houses where welding is always needed....
Thanks!

I'd like to think I was fabbing like a mofo... In this case however, the build just kept growing as it went. Initially, I was just going to build a cart for just the TIG, but then my imagination (and plans for the future) got away from me. I started with excess material and ended with a deficit. I even used used up all the scraps I had left (not pictured)..

Can't wait for the metal supply places to open after the long weekend and get back to work!

BTW.. that modified hand-truck is AWESOME! Nice re-purposing effort!

Do you have a Miller TIG as well?
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I like this!! I like how you planned before you started, something I didn't do, i know all too well how ideas change as you go, this is why I really didn't plan anything on paper, I just went to it and built it mine as I went. I just knew before I started that I want to put all my welding/cutting stuff on on cart.....and it's still an ongoing project.

I can't wait to see how your cart comes out. I'm tuned in for sure!!

Blueridgespeed, that's a pretty slick conversion on the hand truck, I thought about something similar but hate having to tilt back my current TIG cart to move it. But i can see that your design would make it easy to move around. Pretty cool!
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I do have a quick question>>>> Is there any reason the TIG machine is on top of the cooler? I want to put mine side by side, do you think this will be an issue? Thanks in advance.
denis.drc

Post by denis.drc »

goichi1 wrote:I do have a quick question>>>> Is there any reason the TIG machine is on top of the cooler? I want to put mine side by side, do you think this will be an issue? Thanks in advance.
The cooler I chose has a 3 gallon reservoir, so I wanted the weight as low as possible.

I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to place them side by side.

The TIG welder I use at work is an older Lincoln SquareWave, roll around unit and we keep the cooler on top of it. (I have a pic of it earlier in my thread, in the roll cage build section.)

Just make sure your cooler isn't leaking into/onto the welder and you're good.

I'm planning to buy more materials tomorrow and wrap up the cart build by Friday. I'll definitely post pics of the cart when it's done.