Post by finn »

Looks much better than a hole.
Attachments
20130804_112001.jpg
20130804_112001.jpg (161.69 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
20130804_112012.jpg
20130804_112012.jpg (145.99 KiB) Viewed 4840 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
MCMLXXXV

Re: Finn's KA24DET

Post by MCMLXXXV »

yeah much better ! :)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That looks good. No, I was not bragging :oops: , just referencing that a 510 with 200+ Hp is a very fun ride to say the least. We have at least 1/2 dozen cars here in that range now, and, depending on the final drive/flywheel, have some good acceleration monsters.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

I know you weren't bragging that why i said just kidding :) . But you have every right to. The thing about your car is that power also has a purpose. Mine just wants to get me in trouble. I need to start looking into this autocross thing. Maybe take the long haul to the racetrack...
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

bertvorgon wrote: We have at least 1/2 dozen cars here in that range now, and, depending on the final drive/flywheel, have some good acceleration monsters.
it feels like i joined a secret organization. an elite group of misfits 8) :lol:

thanks for everyones advise BTW. its not over but its certain matured.
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

lowered the rear the redneck way. doesn't bottom out but sure is bouncy. Looks like i'll be getting those rear coil overs sooner than later...
Attachments
loweredrear.jpg
loweredrear.jpg (187.15 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What sort of spring rate do you have up front?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

And, till you get better shock/springs, be careful of the "bounce". Suspension does weird things if it is really bouncy, lots of different toe changes, which can really throw you off if not careful.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

I can't remember exactly. All the emails I had from the PO are no longer in my gmail(didn't know that was possible). their blue so I assume their those dodge springs that are common to swap straight over. they definitely stiffened up, like 200lbs to 400lbs feels like..

Keith, I did noticed a change. asde for the bounce, its quite nice. no squeal on turns. gave me a nice castor on the rear or camber.. which ever, i'm new... steering feels a little tighter. I can't wait to get some proper coilovers back there so that I can fully enjoy that smashed look :twisted:
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Sorry Julian, I thought you were talking about the front.. but quincidently I don't know either. all blue if that helps. like I said before, I had all this info before but it somehow vanished. I don't have his number anymore either. two years ago... I remember most but as far as brakes and suspension all I know is '79 200sx. sorry about the spelling errors, I grew up in Oregon.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Generally you want to start with equal spring (wheel) rates front and rear, then adjust to suit your preferences.

Dodge D50 springs are used in the rear, and I believe they're all black anyway. Blue springs might indicate ST springs. Front and rear springs are both blue?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

F/R springs both being blue would probably indicate they're ST springs. ~130in/lb wheel rates. Lots to go from there. Rear coilovers make spring selection easier as well as ride-height adjustment. But after you get it set, they don't really make much difference.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Back from JCCS. That was a lot of fun! Very cool cars and good people. Meet a few non-realm members that should be, maybe my constant mention will bring them around :P Seeing all those nice and shiny paint jobs was just too much though. Its time to properly paint my car. Everything else is nice and tight engine is running great, why not :?:
I started stripping the seals, trying to save as much as I can to keep costs down. the door seals are out but everything else looks ok. the interior trim crumbled apart the minute I touched it :x I need two interior vents and one driver door pillar pieces. pictures included. i'll post something in the classifieds later. I also yanked the rear seat belts. they're 1970 Datsun front belts so they don't fit around the car seat of my two year old. look good though.
Attachments
seatbelt.jpg
seatbelt.jpg (140.26 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
interiortrim2.jpg
interiortrim2.jpg (149.46 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
interiortrim.jpg
interiortrim.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 4629 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Over the last several weeks i pulled the exhaust manifold off and ground away at the ports and gasket. I felt that the gasket I had was blocking air flow. Im losing a decent amount of horsepower from somewhere, noting similar engine builds on other forums. While it was off i decided to swap out the BMC. I couldnt shake the thought of boiling fluid despite it never getting that hot after runs around town. I went with the stock size 3/4" from the rock. $50 aint bad at all...
Attachments
20140209_172511.jpg
20140209_172511.jpg (167.81 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
20140209_172432.jpg
20140209_172432.jpg (171.45 KiB) Viewed 4474 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

awhile ago, before I left for Japan. I bought a new manifold after a night of too many beers and boredom. I finally got around to finishing it since getting back from this Philippines trip. the air flow is pretty significant. I had to shorten the exhaust down pipe since it mounts a little lower but everything else fit perfect. i need to take it back to the dyno and see what kind of increase i got outta it but i have a few other issues to sort out first... when i was out test driving it, i noticed what felt like a fuel cut around 100mph. happened so fast i couldn't look at the gauge to tell but don't want to waste $70 on a dyno run that comes up flat. haven't checked for codes yet but all other driving speeds are fine. the second i found to day. while changing out my rims, i noticed the front wheels were a little sticky. as if there was still pressure from the brakes. i checked the pedal movement and they're far from engaged. after the test drive for the wheels and new lugs, i checked the rotors and sure enough their hot as hell :evil: so i need to figure out why my brakes aren't bleeding off. i leave for the Philippines again soon so looks like my weekends will be booked. i missed the sign up for JCCS in long beach this year but got on the standby list so hopefully i get the brakes sorted before i get the phone call.

fyi, I'm selling the minilites and libres dirt cheap. i need to clear up the garage since we'll be transferring next year and i could use one of Dave's new front sump sway bars 8)
Attachments
before pic of wheels
before pic of wheels
20140911_133137.jpg (167.51 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
20140911_151527.jpg
20140911_151527.jpg (167.05 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
20140416_201746.jpg
20140416_201746.jpg (323.49 KiB) Viewed 4100 times
'69 2dr KA24DET