510+VG30ET+30A= Good Times

View and post your 510 project(s)
big_e-dog

510+VG30ET+30A= Good Times

Post by big_e-dog » 17 Nov 2012 23:32

hey yall im ED and i got a 72 wagon. The reason for this is that California (being the lame state that it is...) told me that i couldnt keep my maxima any longer and be smog legal..said maxima can be seen here..

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/medi ... 329&type=3

and driving it here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8coA4-H1hUA

but it aint over yet.....

saw this wagon and instantly had to get it.... so i did took a 2 hour trip to LA with a tow truck and towed it home...

working on it now...

completely stripped out the entire inside...

working on wiring still but got it mostly figured out

vg30et is in still gota do driveshaft and exhaust....will update laterz

Last edited by big_e-dog on 21 Nov 2012 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
VG LOVE!!!

blueridgespeed
Supporter

Re: 510+VG30ET+30A= Good Times

Post by blueridgespeed » 18 Nov 2012 04:03

big_e-dog wrote: working on it now...

completely stripped out the entire inside...

working on wiring still but got it mostly figured out

vg30et is in still gota do driveshaft and exhaust....will update laterz
This sounds like a great build! I'd love to see photos. The -ET poses some unique fitment challenges. When thinking about driveshaft, it's about $100(plus or minus $50) to have a driveshaft shortened and rebalanced by the professional powertrain shop around here.

Thinking further, your 3-litre will definitely push a much taller gear than the 3.9 that I believe is stock in a wagon. I would at least CONSIDER alternate rear axle assemblies at this early stage, since there are various solutions that can get you limited slip and (numerically) lower ratios -

Ford 9" are definitely overkill but common and known. The 8 and 8.8's are related, just a few less ratios...probably 8.8's are the easiest to find in JY's these days?

You driveshaft will naturally need to have the slip-yoke on the front, then on the rear will need to match the (input to pinion on) differential in your axle assembly.

It'd be a bummer to pay to modify a driveshaft to fit your stock wagon rear end just to realize that the open diff and low ratio with that VG make for a "peg-leg" tire smoker. As those with 620's and roadsters will attest, the LSD and ratio options that work in our Dat's are limited, cherished by racers, and surprisingly rare and expensive (that's why I started talking about other axles. There are downsides to a live axle, but the simplicity and relative ease of tuning for launch traction/ "hooking up" on smooth terrain is one of the benefits - I'd say take advantage of it!

You state this is a VG30et. I'd say stock, with the (necessary) custom exhaust, and maybe even without a boost increase, you're going to easily see 200lb/ft and 180hp at the rear wheels. Simple tunes, naturally, yield more. An intercooler is an obvious improvement, and some (like corky bell) argue an intercooler is an absolute necessity - but the VG alone is a lot to put in a 510 engine bay. Incorporating an intercooler adds to the complexity. Power is relative, but I'm not planning to increase the power of my VG30et510 over stock for a while, if ever, since I predict that recreating the power/handling/steering/braking "balance" that makes 4cyl 510's so fun to drive is going to be challenging enough, and for me a more worthy goal than simply more power.

maxima_tyler

Post by maxima_tyler » 18 Nov 2012 09:52

shame you had to get rid of that maxima! those early gens are hard to find (at least here in ontario, where ive only seen one ever lol).
I have a 5.5gen maxima myself, and looking to add a 510wagon to the mix once i save up the money :)

GL with the build man!

big_e-dog

Post by big_e-dog » 21 Nov 2012 03:44

worked on the wagon today. figured out how im going to mount the digital dash in the car...did the wiring... now just got to finish the shroud..

dash in question...

without the cover...so you get an ideal..

schematic....yeah yeah yeah!

upper mounted with a peice of carbon fiber i had lying around...

loks good so i think ima keep it

the shroud is tomorrow..
VG LOVE!!!

big_e-dog

Post by big_e-dog » 25 Nov 2012 17:36

got some progress this past week. shroud was cut out and mocked up.

flipped the crossmember. was an interesting task but i got it to work

picked up some villager manifolds and cut them to use as a base to fab up manifolds.....

welded the bung on the oil pan for turbo return
Last edited by big_e-dog on 25 Nov 2012 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
VG LOVE!!!

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s » 25 Nov 2012 17:39

Like that cluster, could look stock size wise.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

big_e-dog

Post by big_e-dog » 29 Nov 2012 16:18

modified steering bar....

first time didnt fit so modified again LOL!

painted dash partly installed

working on brakes....

got a question tho..

how bad is it to run without a brake booster. i see some cars without it. and was just wondering will they still operate the same just have to use more pressure under braking?
VG LOVE!!!

510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard » 30 Nov 2012 05:49

big_e-dog wrote:modified steering bar....

first time didnt fit so modified again LOL!

Please do yourself/passengers a favor and get that "steering bar" X-rayed before use.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 30 Nov 2012 06:55

Especially if you welded it with the weenie 90A flux core HF welder in the picture above. :shock:

You may also want to get a professional's opinion of the welds on that crossmember.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 30 Nov 2012 06:56

big_e-dog wrote:how bad is it to run without a brake booster. i see some cars without it. and was just wondering will they still operate the same just have to use more pressure under braking?
No US 510s came from the factory with a booster for the brakes. It's not bad to run without a booster, it's normal.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 » 30 Nov 2012 07:16

On the welding of the steering parts, I think those are cast, so chances are you don't have good penetration unless you heat it up first and really know what you are doing, I'm not sure I would try that myself especially with a welder that small.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 30 Nov 2012 07:37

goichi1 wrote:On the welding of the steering parts, I think those are cast, so chances are you don't have good penetration unless you heat it up first and really know what you are doing, I'm not sure I would try that myself especially with a welder that small.
The steering components, like the TC rods, are forged components, and very strong on nature due to the forging process.
Depth of penetration with the welder or technique used is essential in this case. A weld around the periphery is just that - fixation on the periphery. For maximum strength, you'd want weld penetration very deep into the component, 100% is the air ideally.

This is one part of the structural equation, the other is metallurgy. Welding is a very rapid heating process, which highly affects the material. If the heat is not sustained and cooled in a controlled fashion – ie too quickly – this will change the structure of the material and generally for our purposes of shock loading which steering components receive, it’s not a good change. The effect of rapid cooling on the heat affected zone of the material is quick drastic. Pre-heating and slow cooling in a medium that you can control is usually the reason why a weld fails right at the edge of the weld itself, it’s the area most affected by the welding process.

That said, I don’t know the carbon content of either the center link or the material used to modify the center link in this case, so a recommendation is difficult for you. A little more info and we might be able to make a suggestion.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

big_e-dog

Post by big_e-dog » 01 Dec 2012 04:38

my welds are prttty good got good penetration and never had one break on me. my technique is to go slow and let the pool develop then zigzaz a lil ti bind the 2 peices together. heres one with paint and unground.

and knowing that the 510 came without a booster is awsome knowledge thanks.
VG LOVE!!!

510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard » 01 Dec 2012 06:33

To add to Byron's note on changing of the metal next to the weld zone because of rapid change in temperature of the base metal. A pretty looking weld is just that, pretty. You will not know the penetration unless it is x-rayed. I personally would trust a welded steering component that isn't scanned.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 01 Dec 2012 07:43

I wouldn't trust a 90A flux core weld on 5/8" steel rod full-stop, you simply don't have the amps with that welder to get any penetration into the thick parts of the work. You've probably glued, not welded. Even less when you have backcut most of the rod to fit, leaving that 90° section as a potential stress riser.

Costs a lot less to get the piece x-rayed than your life.