Another 72 510 build in So Cal... not going for looks

View and post your 510 project(s)
Dave Patten
Supporter

Re: Another 72 510 build in So Cal... not going for looks

Post by Dave Patten »

Check out the FutoFab Photo page for pictures of the different VTO styles on different cars.
http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=13

I have a set of 15x7 +18 Lemans with 205/50-15 Dunlop...Star Specs to go on my personal 510 project. The car has 280ZX struts and will need a small spacer up front and the rears will likely need the fender lips rolled for clearance. If I went with 195/50's it might not need the rears rolled, but the car is still in the air so I cannot say with certainty the exact fit with either the 205 or 195 Dunlops.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

Dave Patten wrote:Check out the FutoFab Photo page for pictures of the different VTO styles on different cars.
http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=13

I have a set of 15x7 +18 Lemans with 205/50-15 Dunlop...Star Specs to go on my personal 510 project. The car has 280ZX struts and will need a small spacer up front and the rears will likely need the fender lips rolled for clearance. If I went with 195/50's it might not need the rears rolled, but the car is still in the air so I cannot say with certainty the exact fit with either the 205 or 195 Dunlops.

So as I try and wrap my head around all these numbers (wheels size, offset, 280 spindles etc) I am thinking the 15X7 +18 is what Im going with. I like the Libras but think Im going to go a set of the LeMans instead.

The thing I am not clear on on currently is the front struts.

How much narrower is the 280 as far as offset goes and Im gathering that the spring is a smaller diamater as well?

Will I be able to bolt these on (15X7+18) with a stock 72 510 front strut or is it going to interfere with the strut / spring?

Thanks
Travis
Last edited by Silver04RS on 31 Oct 2012 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

ZX struts on a 510 gives you ~.75" narrower track per side. Reference the picture here:

Now, that picture shows the ZX and Z31 300Z hubs, but the Z31 300Z hub is similar in spacing to the 510 hub (in that I swapped the Z31 hubs onto the ZX struts in order that I could still use my 510-offset +21 14x6 rims).

Also check out the 510 wheel FAQ that spells out more of the 510 specifics WRT wheel fitment:
http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dave Patten wrote:The Retro 4 does come in a 15x7 +18 that can be installed on a non flared 510 with a 205 or smaller tire. Depending on the specific tire and width, the fenders will likely need to be rolled. It will be tight even with a 195 if you don't.
The LeMans is my favorite of the VTO/retro wheels. They don't make a 14", though.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

Awesome info, thanks much!

the 14s dont really do much for me so 15s it is. I think Im doing the VTO LeMans replics, just not sure if im doing them in 15X7 with +18 or +0 for the offset. Ive massaged fenders a million times and I dont really like wheel gap. Right now Im leaning to the 0 offset but Im sure you guys will sway me by next week when I order them.

Is there a wheel thread where people just post pics of wheels and tires on thier cars and list what tires, wheels and offset they are?

As for my 510-

Today was a BIG DAY!

I got the car registered this morning and managed to put around 50 miles on it today. The only other time I had with the car was booking it down the freeway 60 miles after I bought it to get her home (car was not registered)

Besides that I threw on a new fuel filter and found a couple small issues and she now seems to be much running better.

Also I found out that it takes me about 30- 90 seconds to get my seat belt off!!!! It would just hang up and is honestly kinda scary.

The passenger side belt would just randomly come unclipped so something had to be done about this ASAP.

I wont these belts 3 or 4 years ago in a raffle and have been keeping them for some offroad project that hasn't happened yet.

So I figured in the mean time I would steal the lap belts out of the boxes and loan them to the 510 so I feel a bit safer.

I just bolted them in to the stock location

Thanks-
Travis Brock
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dave at FutoFab will set you up with the right wheel offset give your mods. He works with 510s more than any other VTO dealer I know.

Lap belts without shoulder belts isn't the best choice. www.seatbeltpros.com has similar-to-original style belts for good prices. They can't beat free, but lap-only belts aren't going to help you much.
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

okayfine wrote:Dave at FutoFab will set you up with the right wheel offset give your mods. He works with 510s more than any other VTO dealer I know.

Lap belts without shoulder belts isn't the best choice. http://www.seatbeltpros.com has similar-to-original style belts for good prices. They can't beat free, but lap-only belts aren't going to help you much.
Well I figured they would be better than the stock lap belts as they wouldn't trap me in my car if for some reason I needed to get out in a hurry. I spent close to 2-3 minutes yesterday at one point trying to get my lap belt loose... made me think
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Did you try to lube the latches? Is the tab bent?

You can attach the seat belt cutters to your stock stuff, but if you get knocked silly/out hitting the steering wheel or windscreen, you're not going to get out of the Simpson belt anyway.

You can mount the rest of your Simpsons to the rear belt mounting points if the angles are acceptable, or to the blind nut in the c-pillar.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Silver04RS wrote: Well I figured they would be better than the stock lap belts as they wouldn't trap me in my car if for some reason I needed to get out in a hurry. I spent close to 2-3 minutes yesterday at one point trying to get my lap belt loose... made me think

Your "made me think" comment reminded me of a story and a situation I was in.

Story - My Dad's buddy raced stockcars in the '60's & '70's. One night he rolled the car on its roof and couldn't get the "safety" belts undone. The emergency workers finally got him out of the car. (These were old OE type seat belts like in your 510.)

Fast forward a number of years. I was road racing my car and rolled it onto its roof. Hanging upside down from the safety harnesses, the thought of being stuck like my Dad's buddy flashed thru my head. About as fast as the thought came, I had the racing belts undone so I could get out.

Go with the latch type belts, even with 250# (then) hanging from a 5 point racing harness, they unlatched without any extra effort.

One word of advise though, if you do find yourself in an upside down car hanging from the seat belts, one hand on the roof and both knees braced against the steering wheel does little to control your free fall when you undo the belts.
Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I'll bet that free fall hurt more than the rollover!! :lol:
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

goichi1 wrote:I'll bet that free fall hurt more than the rollover!! :lol:
It was a 540 degree barrell roll, the last 360 were in the air, ending with a splash down in a shallow brook. I couldn't see anything during the whole event because of all the dust.

The first clue I had the car was rolling was when the passenger seat, still firmly bolted in, went flying over my head! :shock:

And yes the drop onto the roof was the hardest part and the least graceful.
Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

OUCH!
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

okayfine wrote:Did you try to lube the latches? Is the tab bent?

You can attach the seat belt cutters to your stock stuff, but if you get knocked silly/out hitting the steering wheel or windscreen, you're not going to get out of the Simpson belt anyway.

You can mount the rest of your Simpsons to the rear belt mounting points if the angles are acceptable, or to the blind nut in the c-pillar.
No I did not try and lube the latches or and no they were not bent. But they did not work well and the material is 40 years old. I had a brand new set of belts in my garage and this seemed like a much better option to me.

And yes, if Im knocked out I know I will not be able to release a seat belt.... but its better than going through a windshield.

As for mounting the shoulder harnesses I have no intention of doing so until I have something suitable to hang them from. The last thing I need is to hit something hard and compress my spine due to having them mount to the floor or back seat.

Dave Patten wrote:
Silver04RS wrote: Well I figured they would be better than the stock lap belts as they wouldn't trap me in my car if for some reason I needed to get out in a hurry. I spent close to 2-3 minutes yesterday at one point trying to get my lap belt loose... made me think

Your "made me think" comment reminded me of a story and a situation I was in.

Story - My Dad's buddy raced stockcars in the '60's & '70's. One night he rolled the car on its roof and couldn't get the "safety" belts undone. The emergency workers finally got him out of the car. (These were old OE type seat belts like in your 510.)

Fast forward a number of years. I was road racing my car and rolled it onto its roof. Hanging upside down from the safety harnesses, the thought of being stuck like my Dad's buddy flashed thru my head. About as fast as the thought came, I had the racing belts undone so I could get out.

Go with the latch type belts, even with 250# (then) hanging from a 5 point racing harness, they unlatched without any extra effort.

One word of advise though, if you do find yourself in an upside down car hanging from the seat belts, one hand on the roof and both knees braced against the steering wheel does little to control your free fall when you undo the belts.
good story and thanks for the advice

-TB
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Suit yourself.
Silver04RS

Post by Silver04RS »

okayfine wrote:Suit yourself.
I respect your opinion a lot and am confused on why you think the standard belts are better than these. Yes I agree that 4/5 points would be a million times better but using just a lap belt.

I just do not feel safe with the stock 40 year old material and a latch that is not functioning properly.

Ideally Id like to have a 4 pt in the back of my car and be able to hang some cam lock belts off of them..... but that is when time and money permits

On another note...

I found a set of 280 ZX struts, brakes, camber plates etc that are for sale local. The guy even has some good looking wheels and all in all it seems like a fair price.

So tomorrow Ill hopefully be picking these up and pulling off my stock cracked tires and making her roadworthy

-Travis