Radio Flyer

View and post your 510 project(s)
RMS
Supporter

Re: Radio Flyer

Post by RMS »

its been two weeks on the road dding and the prognosis is not good.......well the fuel economy is awesome. feels like double the mileage of the 2.4z in the 2dr. haven't mathed it out but probably 32-34 on the flat @ sea level. the goon is quiet, its so quiet that I've reached for the key a few times at the lights. It dose however stink, windows all the way up or all the way down. if not you will slowly be poisoned, drift off to sleep and cross the center line, as she tends to pull to the left.

after testing out the suspension @ 65 on the perimeter jump I pulled up to a buddy's house to find the rad had rejected its coolant tossing it from cap to fan painting the entire bay in yellow stick. :x once cold I fed it water and hosed her down. got home and every thing was fine. woman does some shopping and the water I fed it the other day was tossed all over the bay.......and the pattern repeats. fine for a day or two then rejects the coolant. hours spent trying to simulate the great puke in the yard to no avail.

part of me wants to pull it then drop in a 2L 5spd some 68 struts bla bla work.... fudge it, I will just put the oil burner back in. it's only like 20 bolts and 5 hose clamps. then I think I 'll just pull the head have a look, install a new gasket and probably drop the chain...rad out, timing cover r&R then some pump in pump out action.

scrap it all. pulled the vale cover, torque wrench set to 50 click click around the head and not one bolt budged. 55 click 60 click 65 click 67 click 68click ....I was too scared to find how far the last guy took it when the head gasket started leaking on him. :lol:

maybe i'll try some bars leaks to get me to the show with a clean engine bay.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

last night I tore into the L16. cracked lose the head bolts @ 70lbs, pulled the head to find no4 comp ring had rotted away.
ImageImage
hit the head with the straightest edge in the shop, couldn't see much light between the edge. cleaned up the surfaces and dropped a new beck hg onto the block.

well maybe I should have looked closer because as soon as she got to temp the rumbles started and coolant burped out of the rad. I guess the water damage at the back of the head was too great to be made up by the hg :cry: Image

do I pull the head, send it out ? drop the old smoker back in ? forget about C plates and install a 2L 5spd combo?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

down but not out. Image gathered together a couple closed chamber 210s. one had new seats and valves with a fresh grind. pulled a couple donor heads from the pile, picked a open 210 suffering from sunken valve syndrome with a 445. , .050 worth of shims under the towers, new head is .030 thicker, have .020 shims. will I need to take .030 off the lash pads ? .....assuming the geometry was correct to start with.

not wanting to pull the timing cover how many times would it take turning it over till the marks lined up with the chain ?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

just got back from specialty, had Andy check out the swipe pattern and we decided to keep with the .250 pads on the stock keepers with no shims under the towers and the 445 cam "worse case it will chuck a pad, knock out the keepers and drop a valve, ruining the motor, but that's worse case, it could even last"

head to go on tonight, if the block has pits @ the comp ring what product should I use to fill ? jb weld? high temp silicone ? ????
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

with lack of direction I steered away from products to fill the pits and went at the block with 240 grit on the body file and blocked it square. cleaned with ATF then finished up with final wipe. I couldn't find the clearance specs for the 445 cam so I set it hot @ .010 int .012 ex. poor vacuum signal @ 800 and the a/f screw doesn't do as much as it once did. checked for leaks with the propane torch no increase in rpm. I hope I don't have to pull the front cover and reset the cam timing.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I would set the intakes at .008" HOT, that will help.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

thanks Bert! I just found a specialty invoice with 8in 12ex written on the bottom. I will make the changes tonight.

now she is running better I jumped the chain forward and backwards and ended up back were I started. installed new cap rotor and points, put the light to it and the timing had dropped down to tdc. the original rotor was slopping around.

3 days to install hitch and do up the trailer wires before the show....cutting it close
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Go Robyn! We believe you can do it.
Andy told me to set mine from 8 to 10 cold. My cam is a bit bigger than yours so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Are you sure that is a COLD setting?

Most of the performance cams I have used have been 8 & 10 HOT.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It He told me cold but he was checking it about an hour after it was at running temp so it was warm. I should probably check with Andy when I drop by week after next.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

regardless if the setting should be hot or cold its not looking good. hard to start and once hot only pulls an erratic 7 psi @ 850rpm. @ 2000 rpm it pulls a reasonably steady 18psi. now I know a 445 is a wild cam and ya she sounds good when in the secondary's but I've got to slip the clutch @ 1600 ~ 2200rpm to pull away on the flat. no way I'm pulling a 400+ pound trailer. last night I pulled the intake and exhaust hoping for a leak. dressed up the flanges and solved a leak at the collector. ya it didn't do a thing..... vacuum signal is so poor that the carb now has a flat spot just off idle .....pulled it apart as far as I dared with not kit. a bit of skuge on the jets but no glaring issues.

all those worn out components worked great on the old smoker......fix one little thing and ever other component wants the same amount of love. :x

could the carb be jetted wrong for the new cam ? or is the carb so worn out that the low vac signal from the 445 renders it useless ?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

wow! lordco has a carb kit :shock: now to find a carb with a good throttle shaft worth rebuilding.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

OK grabbed the kit from lordco gave the guy my #, get up front and the bill says cash and carry..... $16 dollar difference after getting a different guy to fix the bill as the cashier has no power :x . get home open the box and for $40 all I got was some gaskets, throttle pump and check. not one jet or spring :evil:

rebuild an unknown low mileage carb off the belted goon from the weeds because it is the correct stock canadian 1970 unit. bolt it to the car and I have the same flat spot just off idle. :|

there is no way I can tow with this setup.........3000rpm to pull away in first without it flashing out. 445 and 11LB aluminum clutch definitely the wrong combo.

2L swap and get the lights on the trailer in a day ?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

kept with the L16 for the show. it was a little work to get her going at each light but once she was moving she moved! convoying was not fun for those behind me......she was a little rich.

gear change.

picked up some goodies over the weekend, thanks Ron ! Image

feeling tight ImageImageImage
wasn't I just here ?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

all right motor in, idling @ 650rpm with 12deg of advance. ahh nice and quiet smooth and will pull away on the flats @ idle :D Image
I do think its under carbed with the 1600 Hitachi. anyone have jets or a carb for a 1800 or do I just drop a 2L carb on ?